• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weird noises from bunny?

nemmie

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,
My bunny peanut is making really strange noises like a pidgeon cooing. It's really loud and she does it fairly often. Usually when i am putting her food down. Its different from the normal buzzing noise's they make. I have had 3 buns and she is the 1st to make this. Anyone know what it is?

is she not excited by feeding time rosie is so loud when its breakfast or supper time and sometimes scream out in excitement

lisa

Def not sneezing i know that one and it's totally different. I know all bunnies are different it's just SO loud. I keep thinking there may be something wrong with her but there are no bad signs at all. She's her normal self eating drinking pooing weeing playing etc etc. Maybe she is just excited around mealtime like you say. She does it when she plays with Jubby too running round the hutch. Maybe just excitement? I never knew a rabbit could be so vocal LOL.

Rosie squeaks when shes excited/scared. If she does it a couple of times in a row it does sound a little like cooing.

That noise either means they're excited or they're feeling sexy :lol:

It's usually called honking, but that doesn't really describe the sound accurately. As you say it's more of a gentle 'oo' noise.

Not all rabbits do it...some make squeaking noises instead...and some are silent

Yep Charlie does this noise too!! It's like a low grunty noise. He does it when he sees us after we've been out and when we give him food and when he's happy. I love it!

I know exactly the noise you are talking about!

It's not the usual honking noise, both Arnie and Kira do this when excited (or horny lol).

The noise Kira makes is very vocal and VERY cute. She usually does it when she has something yummy and is as if she is going YUUMMMMYYYYY she first done it when Liam gave her a peice of banana, she just blurted out this HUGE "MMMMMMMMMMMMM".

She done it the other day when Arnie was downstairs (he never makes this noise), she was eating a cherry tomato and made her little gulpy yum sounding noise and Arnie looked shocked :shock: He looked over at her in disgust as if to say what the hell was that about :lol: :lol:

In answer to your question though, I have no idea what it is and do occasionally worry something is wrong with her too but as you mention everything seems fine and I think it is generally a huge appreciation of meal times.

I thought it was just Kira, perhaps we could record it as I think people are confusing it with the honking/grunting noise they also make? I'll try and put it on you-tube later if she does it with a cherry tom!

Last edited:
Once when I was bored, I was tapping a bottle cap on a hard surface and Oreo really didn't like the sound it was making. He stomped his foot and mad this low, short, buzzing noise. Anybody else's buns do that?

Once when I was bored, I was tapping a bottle cap on a hard surface and Oreo really didn't like the sound it was making. He stomped his foot and mad this low, short, buzzing noise. Anybody else's buns do that?

My litle nethie does this grunting/buzzing sound a lot. Its usually when he doesn't like you doing something, and is sometimes accompanied by a nip!:roll:

My girl rabbits who are much more chilled NEVER do it at all.

Yeah Miles makes that noise all the time, the grumpy old :censored:! :lol: Rocket used to, but then he used to be scared of a lot of things whereas now he's much more confident. :thumb:

AMETHYST

Thanks everyone for all your great replies. So nice to know she is not the only bunny to make these funny noises and that its nothing to worry about :)

Back