• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

snezzing and gooey nose?

Michelle82

Young Bun
Hi all I have posted about bobby before we have had him 6 weeks now and from day one he had discharge from his nose. Since then he has been on baytril we have to give him a drop a day but it has gone from being one nostril to both with discharge and now he snezzes the thing is he is happy and eating and pooing fine and his fur is gorgeous and shiny now the mites have gone but I dont know what to do about the nose. Any idea what it is could it be the snuffles ? and should he constantly be on antibiotics since they dont seem to be doing anything. He is going back to my vet tomorrow who previously said they wanted to leave it as baytril doesnt always help but the P@H vet just dished out more baytril (p@H were paying as they sold him ill) I am giving him echinea(SP?) in his water following previous advice on here

I would suggest changing from Baytril to Septrin.
Also I would give a probiotic such as Bio-Lapis or Fibreplex
Perhaps you could discuss this with the Vet tomorrow

Janex

What bedding do you have him on? If it is sawdust / wood shavings stop using it. With hay I would hang it to avoid the dust particles being kicked about.

I would definately agree with changing him to Septrin as Jane suggests.

Thanks for the replies. I will speak to the vet it just seems pointless being on baytril when it doesnt seem to have an effect.

No sawdust I only used it once then when I read about snuffles etc decided it would be best not to use it. If you hang hay what do you use as bedding etc?

I think you should get an X/Ray done A.S.A.P., this is the best way to rule out any teeth problems, which if left to long can become very hard to deal with later.

Well back from the vets she has said to stop the baytril as if it was an infection it should have cleared it by now. It could be viral but she thinks 6 weeks is a long time so has suggested clearing out his hutch and using newspaper and blankets and giving fresh grass until next friday and reasses him as it could be an allergy to something and she wants to rule that out. She wasnt keen on taking swabs as said it can cost a small fortune and in a lot of cases will not reveal the problem so is a complete waste of time. I will mention teeth when I go back but wouldnt he have other signs is snezzing something they do when its teeth trouble?

I have had problems with Louis lately having the sneezes, although he has been fine in himself. My vet put him on a course of baytrill for nearly 3 weeks and when that didnt clear up the problem she did a really simple test. She put a dye in his eyes that showed up like neon under a black light. She then could see that the fluid wasnt flowing from his eyes through his nose properly because he had a blocked tear duct which she thinks had been caused by an infection that had got into his eyes when he scratched them eating hay like a pig :roll:

Basically the baytrill wasnt going to work because it wouldnt be able to clear the blockage. She performed a tear duct flush on him yesterday and he has eye medicine to use to clear up any residual infection. I have yet to hear him sneeze.

This could be worth looking at.

Back