• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How common is eye sight trouble in rabbits?

becca114

Young Bun
My mum suspects that her dwarf lop has an eyesight problem. How common is this in rabbits and what are the tell tale signs?

What has made her suspect this?

I don't think rabbits have particularly brilliant sight anyway. They can't judge distance without bobbing their heads up and down because their eyes are not front facing like ours. I know mine can see movement at quite a distance but I think they mainly rely on hearing and smell anyway.

I hope your bunny is ok. :D

Rabbits are prone to shortsightedness in certain colours and breeds....particularly REWs and those with reddish brown eyes.

Tell tale signs are an inability to see immobile objects after tracking them whilst moving, bumping into objects when moved from their 'normal' place, easily startled, unable to see objects approaching directly in front of them (face on), scanning the head slowly from side to side.

Your vet can do a variety of sight tests to see if there is a problem which involves a check of the eye (for physical deformities and abnormalities) and then a range of stimuli designed to provoke certain reactions.

Billy was born with cateracts! The vet did some tests and his pupils react to changes in light intensity and he can see bulky object but thin thing he doesn't see. He's not bothered by it at all he just uses his other senses more. It also helps him by having his mum and sister to follow although he does like to be the leader!

A bun I used to have was born with too small tear ducts, which resulted in his tears running down the outside of his cheeks. Most times it wasn't too bad, but it was always worse during the moulting period!!
I used to dry his cheeks, and wash off the crusty bits every day, but it never bothered him at all.
He just looked sad with tears rolling down his cheeks...:cry:

Back