• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hello newbie with rabit please help

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
Hello everyone :wave:

I got a rabbit on Sunday a dwarf lionhead hes called Lionel, hes 10 weeks old.
He is going to be a house rabbit (i live in a flat) I am going to bunny proof the balcony for him as well and he can visit the communal gardens when hes older.
The problem i have at the moment is he is really extra scared and he has barely eaten, in the cage he was in when i got him he had rabbit museli mix so i brought the same stuff and hay of course, today i tried to give him a litle stick treat to try to tempt him to eat but he wasn't interested, i was going to try some carrot tops but i read don't give them fresh food until they are 3 months old, i really don't know what to do i thought baby's ate a lot i am really worried for him.
I have been talking to him and have left his cage open for the last 4 hours so he can come out if he wants to but hes too scared, please help.

Thanks
Katie

Congratulations on becoming a bunny mummy :thumb:
I wish you luck because you are going to need it :lol:

I would give Lional some time to get used to his new surrondings and sounds and things that move etc, and he will soon be hopping round your flat thinking "I used to be scared about coming out round here, ooh I think i'll just make a poopie here *poops*" :lol: You will find bunny rabbits leave little ball poopies wherever they go so good luck :thumb:

Hi he will need a couple of weeks to settle down but watch he is still pooing or his fecal pellets arnt hard or small as with rabbits with the stress of moving they can get stasis which my new one has got at the moment,if they are small and hard he may have to go to the vets to have a jab to get his gut working again,dont want to scare you just to make you aware as it has just happened to me.

Hi there, welcome to RU!

Well done on getting a bun. Not eating can be serious in rabbits because they suffer greatly if their digestive system shuts down (GI Statis), it can be fatal:(

You should monitor him closely and get him to a vet asap if he does not improve. The vet can give a gut stimulant. Make sure he has fresh water and hay at all times too and if he doesn't seem to be getting the idea of a water bottle provide a bowl of water too.

I would say that if he hasn't eaten by tomorrow morning you need to book him into the vet straight away.

I have not experienced GI Statis personally but am just relaying information I have heard here and seeing as you have not had much response to your post. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along shortly with more advice.

Keep us updated wishing you all the best with your new friend :D

Hello :wave:
Hope Lionel is settled in and eating/pooping ok soon.
If not I'd take him to the vet ASAP just to make sure he is ok!

Lionel

Hello everyone :wave:

I got a rabbit on Sunday a dwarf lionhead hes called Lionel, hes 10 weeks old.
He is going to be a house rabbit (i live in a flat) I am going to bunny proof the balcony for him as well and he can visit the communal gardens when hes older.
The problem i have at the moment is he is really extra scared and he has barely eaten, in the cage he was in when i got him he had rabbit museli mix so i brought the same stuff and hay of course, today i tried to give him a litle stick treat to try to tempt him to eat but he wasn't interested, i was going to try some carrot tops but i read don't give them fresh food until they are 3 months old, i really don't know what to do i thought baby's ate a lot i am really worried for him.
I have been talking to him and have left his cage open for the last 4 hours so he can come out if he wants to but hes too scared, please help.

Thanks
Katie

Make sure Lionel has lots of Timothy hay and water. Don't worry too much about the dried food. Talk to him in a low voice and try to make his surroundings as quiet as possible. Give him some toys to chew. Good luck, he sounds adorable!

Hi there, welcome to the world of rabbits.... it is very important for bunnies to eat, as they can go into a state called Stasis, where their gut stops moving. This can be fatal for bunnies. I would be tempted to tempt him with whatever you can. Jars of baby food can often prove useful when you have a bun that doesn't want to eat. Also Pineapple juice can tempt them and is very good for the gut. He is probably just very nervous but he will get there. Good luck with your bun xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

as everyone has said, he's getting used to his new enviroment, he will eventually eat and drink, make sure he has unlimited amount of fresh hay, and water!

he'll come right, don't worry.

When I got Tia she was barely eating at rescue, and stopped all together once she came here - she refused to move out of her litter tray for days :shock: I put fresh hay in her tray daily (make sure it's nice, long, greenish hay - pet shop hay is a bit variable) so she didn't starve, and I held the water bottle to her mouth several times a day too - ideally put the bottle right next to him incase he doesn't want to move. And I just shut the door and left her in peace the rest of the time till she relaxed eventually - you could maybe cover the cage with a blanket if it's in a busy environment - and they do hate cooking smells for some reason too :)

Thanks everyone.
He has eaten a little bit of mix today and he has eaten all the hay i put out this morning. When i came home i gave him 3 little pieces of carrot about 1 cm big and he gobbled them all up, is that a suitable amount to give?
He is pooing, what should it look like though because i thought it should be hard and small like pellets not soft and squidgy?

Back