• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Peter is dieing

cshippard

Young Bun
I have tried everything. It's the fith day now and yesteday afternoon he took a turn for the worse. It just seems like he has given up. I am completely devestated and I don't know what to do. He has GI Statis for those of you who have not read my previous thread. He has now stopped hopping around and eating and is just lying down grinding his teeth. I have given him metacam, I have feed him, watered him, gave him more gut stimulate but I think he has just had enough. I think he is fed up of the days he has been trying and he is so sad. He is my little baby and I just cannot stop crying.

Would you normally take your rabbits back to the vets at this stage (He has been 3 times this week) and I think they will suggest putting him to sleep? Or do I leave him in his home and let him pass away where is is safe and comfortable?

Needless to say this is killing me too and I have nursed him day and night for all this time but I know him and he has had enough. :(

We had poo a and got him eating but he has just regressed.

Hi, I'm so sorry for you and Peter.
I would personally take a bun of mine in that condition back to the vets to discuss any further possiblities of treatment or pts.
I can't bear it when animals are very ill and I would be concerned at how long it could go on for, he may not just slip away quite quickly :?
But thats just my personal opinion. Only you know your bun best and I'm sure you'll do whats right for him.
I'm very sorry x x

I am so sorry :cry:
It sounds as though Peter is still in a lot of pain even with analgesia. I would definately contact a Vet now.
Peter wont be absorbing any meds given orally if his guts have completely shut down. Teeth grinding is indicative of severe pain :cry:
I hope the Vet can do more for Peter, but it may be that ending his suffering is the only option

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Please let us know how you get on, I wish I could be of more help

Janex

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your bun. When Charly had GI 3 weeks ago we thought he wouldn't make it being so young etc. It was 5 days before he ate or pood and he looked so sorry for himself. He too would sit there all hunched up just grinding his teeth. It was awful. After a lot of pushing him around the patio (didn't want to move) and rubbing his tummy and infacol he started to pick up. After the 7th day he started to look a bit happier and by the 8th a lot better. Don't give up hope hopefully things will improve. Wishing you lots of luck. xx

I'm so sorry but I have to agree - it does sound like Peter is in a lot of pain. The vet will only advise you they wont force you to make a decision and will be able to inject pain killers to help make Peter more comfortable. You know him best and it's at times like this we sometimes have to do what is best for our rabbits even tho it hurts us so much. But please, take him to your vet and have a chat with them about your options. Thinking of you.x

You know Peter best, and you speaking to the vet will help you decide what is best for him. I'm so sorry :cry: , I can't imagine the pain of your position.
Best wishes x

So sorry.... Really hope the vet can do something, but you will know what is the best decision to make, I am sure. x

I'm so sorry. Poor little Peter. Sending lots of healing pain free vibes to him. Please take him to the vet and see if they can help stop the pain at least. Thinking of you both xx:cry:

I am sorry but have not read all your thread as I am nursing my own bun with myxi at the moment. But a couple of years ago I had a mini lop with stasis that went down hill fast and I thought he was going to die. I took him back to the vet at midnight as I thought he was going to go during the night and I could not face that. They put him on a drip and gave him fluids and medications and then anaethatised him the next day as they thought it could be his teeth causing the problem. It wasn't but then he had a bad reaction to the anaesthetic. He was not eating still so I took him coriander and food in to tempt him and stayed with him to encourage him and after a day or so he was eating a bit. So sometimes they surprise you and find that strength. Thinking of you at this rotten time. Pam

:( so sorry to hear this..its a sad state of affairs..i lost our beloved mini lop oscar to this a year ago..in the early hours he was dead quiet and we mistake his toth grinds for a purr rubbing his nose he semed to like it loads.
i couldnt get anyone to give me a lift anf i staye dup till 3am being eplileptic i had to fall asleep didnt i..stupid meds.he was dead by 7am:cry: :cry:

please please if you have the transpot please go...if its bad news at least his pain can be ended and he wont die in agony like little oscar did:cry:

sometimes despite what ypu do.death is inevitable.....oh why cant they bring back prepulsid:censored:

youll both be in my thoughts today xxx

I am so sorry - please get little Peter to a vet - he is in pain and needs to see the vet. Only you and the vet can make a decision - I am so very sorry. I truly hope that you can get him to a vet who can help get him better - xxxx

We recently had trouble with one of our rescues in stasis and I was thoroughly expecting to have her put to sleep on her first vets visit. It took three trips to have her sorted out and after the final one she began to recover about 6 hours after her final Emequell jab and some sub-cut fluids. We had to increase her pain killers 3 times during her stasis but once we hit the correct level the change was immediately obvious.

Talk to your vet, maybe about the prospect of him staying as an inpatient if you feel unable to nurse him yourself (especially if he is refusing syringe feeds and oral meds) but be advised by what they have to say.....we can only really speculate on just how bad Peter is and what his needs may be.

Whatever happens, Good Luck X

no improvement. I am taking him to a different vets today. I feel that a second opinion will be better.

Day 6 today.

Does anyone know of a really good rabbit savvy vet in the Weyrbidge, Addlestone, Esher (Surrey) area? I have an appointment booked for this afternoon with another vet but I have never been to them and it's guess work.
Thanks

Everything crossed for you and Peter. Hopefully someone will be along with a good vets in your area. Please let us know how he is doing. x

Might be worth starting a new thread to ask the specific question about a good vet in your area, if you haven't already?

Got everything crossed for Peter x

no improvement. I am taking him to a different vets today. I feel that a second opinion will be better.

Day 6 today.

Does anyone know of a really good rabbit savvy vet in the Weyrbidge, Addlestone, Esher (Surrey) area? I have an appointment booked for this afternoon with another vet but I have never been to them and it's guess work.
Thanks

I have PM'd you :)

Janex

Back