• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very stressful visit to get myxi done - help needed!

Bonniebunny

Warren Scout
:( I've just got back from the vets with my two buns having had their 6 monthly myxi boosters. Jinxy my little x breed lop was a little bit wriggly, but not too bad, but Fleur my beautiful french lop was a complete monster!! My arm is red raw covered in scratches, she even jumped off the table despite holding a towel around her. Totally unmanageable - I felt such a bad bunny mum and it was our first trip to this vet as we have recently moved area.

I don't know what to do with her. I know some buns don't like being picked up and usually if I transfer them anywhere I use a carry case. She used to be so sweet and easy to handle (shes the bun in my picture), but since moving and having the run of the conservatory instead of the smaller shed she is very difficult. She even caught her nail in my nose the other week and made it bleed. She is a real stunner and so intelligent and when on the floor I can stroke her, but any ideas on how to overcome this feisty behaviour when she needs to have a vet trip?? She doesn't bite just fights all the way. They both have the real hump at the moment, Jinxy is sitting on the window sill ignoring me, and Fleur moves everytime I am near her. I appreciate it must be very stressful for them but how can I reduce this to make it more bearable, I would not forgive myself if they got myxi because I couldn't get them to the vet!!

Help:(
xx

i had a skittish rabbit called lucky (bless her she in bunny heaven now) she would go skitz in the vets absolutly mental whenever she was taken. (outside of vets was sweetest quietest bun ever who would come and jump up on my lap if i sat in garden with her) in an escape vets attempt she once landed on mums head like a russian fur hat we had to pry her down!!! lol poor thing.... however we had a very understanding vet who would just let her stay in her box while he did her jab, and also to wiegh her we had pre recorded the box weight for us so she was just weighed in box. obviously more general checkups were difficult but if its for their health we do it. see if your vet would in future do in the box? would save you some scratchs and bun a lot of stress

Thats sounds the exact same as my trip to the vet. I was nervous for them as they'd never been to the vet and I didnt know what to expect of them. Sammy was fine didnt flinch but Leon wriggled the whole time. He fell off the table at one point and also gave the vet a bad scratch on his arm. We tried covering him up in a towel but as soon as he felt the needle in his ear he jumped.

I feel partly responsible for they way he acted. My bunnies dont like being handled and I dont try to handle them. I feel as long as there happy then they dont need forced cuddles but then again if they were used to more handling may be the vet trip would have been easier. Who knows?

Daisy is exactly the same. She's quite a lively girl anyway but is totally unmanageable at the vets. She's jumped off the table before which left both me and her traumatised so now whenever I take her I request that they examine her on the floor to avoid any mishaps!

Thanks for those tips - I will ask if she can stay in the box next time. My buns will be moving into a shed again soon (they lived in one before I moved here) so hopefully I will be able to try to do a little bit more handling. My arm is in a terrible state this morning, lookings like I have been hariming myself, so I am going to have to cover up!! People won't believe me if I say my rabbit scratched me, it looks like knife slashes!!

Thanks again.
xx

My lot are not fans of the vet either. Neither likes being picked up, so it is a bit difficult at times.

Smokey is not too bad, she tolerates it but Inky is always an unknown! He swings from trying to murder me (I can sympathise with the scratches, I've had them across my chest and neck) to being as good as gold (my mum took him and he was nestling in her arms, the picture of innocence).

I have one of these: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_carriers_travel/cat_bags_travel/13398

It's excellent because I can get both in if I need to but also because the top opening bit means that my vet can give injections in it if need be.

Another tip is to warn your vet how mental they are and ask if they can be examined on the floor. With Inky if he's in a uncooperative mood, this is a bit safer for all involved.

That sounds really sore (the arm) and stressful. You could try giving her some Bachs rescue remedy before the next trip, it may help calm her down. You can put a few drops in her water, or spray it (diluted) through an atomiser onto her face, which she'll lick off.
Seems to work on mine and I know others use it for journeys too.
I'm sure she'll be happier in the new shed if that's what she was used to before :D

hi-yes as everyone else suggests keep bun in carrier as this saves the stress of being picked up! when the vet has to examine the rabbit they showed me where to place my hands making it dfficult for the rabbit to move. if each hand is placed on either side of the buns shoulder that will keep them still long enough for a temperature check!
i also know what you mean about having scratched arms, mine are the same but everyone knows i have rabbits so i'm assuming they will know where my injuries come from. :) however i had one of the buns at vets this morning and ended up with a fur collar and scratches round my neck! :)

i am glad I'm not the only one - this seems quite common, but I am grateful for all your suggestions and will try anything to make life easier.

Thank you all.

xx

Sounds like Buu. My vet examines her on the floor, I just take her a bit of vetbed along with me :D Also I have found using a carrier that opens from the top instead of the side a lot easier with her :D Hope your arm heals soon x

My rabbit Lily is exactly the same, flings herself off the table like a proper drama queen:lol: Joke aside i think it must be very distressing for them especially after sitting in the waiting room with all the barking dogs:shock:
Think i will invest in a top opening carrier and see if this helps.

Back