• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not sure whether the trio is working

Casco

Mama Doe
They've been together about 3-4 weeks now and bonding went very smoothly but there's a few things I've noticed that makes me wonder whether a trio is the right thing for them. My main concern is that coco (who I would consider to be the least dominant of the 3) has started 'grooming' Millie (top bun as far as I can work out) on the bum quite hard. She tolerates it for a few seconds then hops away. He also chases her sometimes, often taking a tuft of fur out when he does it. When coco and Casper were together as a pair, Casper was the one that regularly chased coco - I've seen him do it a couple of times recently but not as often.

There's also the issue of blankets / rugs in the pen - coco and Casper have always nibbled them and peed in blankets, pet beds etc that I've given them. Millie seems to like blankets, she liked to lie on one when she was recovering from her spay and didn't nibble it or pee on it. I noticed today she was lying in the litter tray while the other 2 were in the hide - I don't currently have a blanket or rug in the pen, had to remove the rug that was in there as Casper started digging and chewing at it so I was thinking maybe the litter tray is the softest place she has now? I feel it's not fair on her not to have a comfy place to sleep just because the other 2 can't be trusted with them. I suppose this is something that will be trial and error to find some sort of compromise.

Are these issues that will sort themselves out in time? They looked so cute for the first couple of weeks as they were always snuggled up together but I worry they are not 100% suited to each other as they don't seem so loved up now and I would hate to think I'm not doing the best for Millie by leaving her in with the other 2. Actually the 2 I thought I would have a problem with (Casper and Millie) seem to be getting on well but coco is acting like a jealous ex trying to sneakily nip Millie on the bum and making it look like he's grooming her :lol:

Those who have (or had) trios or more, how do they interact with each other? Is this just normal (especially the rough grooming / nipping) or a sign that the 3 maybe aren't the most compatible match? (and I may need to add a fourth to sort it out ;) )

I've not had a trio before, but I used to have a quad. Made of two pairs, MM and FF. Bonding went smoothly, after a day or so of bonding I wondered if one was being a bit left out but she soon became properly integrated.

One of the boys used to try to groom the girls incessantly, at first. they were a bit :shock: at this as the girls didn't groom each other. He didn't chase though and was gentle with it.

As far as blankets go, could you add more litter trays so there is more alternative places for her to lay? My quad used to have 3 or 4 trays I think, a giant underbed one and 2 or 3 small ones.

My (limited) experience with Trios has been that there is always one Bun who remains an 'outsider'

That's why I only had even number groups or pairs in the end x

Just off out on project woodchip but I shall be thinking about this all day & add my wisdomless words later x

I would actually like to have a quad but I'll wait for the right bunny to come along rather than add another just to even up the numbers. Millie was initially a foster bun and we all wanted to keep her literally from the minute we brought her home so in time I expect the same thing will happen again. Problem will be if the quad doesn't work and I need to have 2 pairs, 1 will most likely have to live outside which I'm not so keen on as the kids love to interact with them and I know they wouldn't go outside as often especially in winter.

It's not so much that one is being left out - Millie and Casper get on well, Casper and Coco get on well - it just seems to be Coco who isn't so keen on Millie, she is friendly towards him and I'm so surprised at Coco as he is the most timid bunny and I honestly thought him and Millie would be a great match.

They are living in the same pen that the boys lived in before Millie joined - I did clean it all and neutralise with vinegar but I'm wondering if that is having any effect on Coco's behaviour. They initially got on really well though. It's not that the bond isn't working as such, I just feel it's not as perfect as I would like if that makes sense?! re litter trays - they have 2 underbed storage boxes, I feel if I added any more there wouldn't be much space for them to move about in the pen (they are shut in while we are out / in bed). I intend to add a shelf / second level to the pen but haven't had time yet, that will give me more options for litter trays & other toys / enrichment.

I think it's still early days and may be a little longer until Coco settles properly.
He may have originally been bottom bun in the trio and is trying to take Millies place?

Sorry -I'm not much use in this case but thought I'd add in my 2 pence worth

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I did always struggle to work out the dominant one of the pair - Casper often chased coco which I thought could be him asserting his dominance but Casper was also the one who done most of the grooming and I was under the impression that the dominant bun was the one who was groomed by the other. During bonding Coco stayed back and let the other 2 do the clashing and humping, with Millie eventually being the one who done all the humping and she was also being groomed by the 2 boys.

Hopefully Coco will settle down again. I was thinking of the banana on the head tactic but not sure how effective that will be as the boys aren't mad keen on banana like most rabbits seem to be :lol:

I'm inclined to say give it more time too - who knows whether a fourth bunny would help (it might make things worse)

The nipping & chasing is normal for many bunnies - pairs included. I had problems with Boo chasing Mouse a lot & while she still does, its not relentless & I've not see any fur pulling (or evidence of) in a good while. I too have had issues with over grooming, Boo very assertively attaches her tongue to Mouses ear resulting in a slightly bald patch.

At this moment in time my three are lying all loved up together, Boo in the middle with Joey & Mouse face pressing either side:love: I don't feel any bun is an outsider, they all seem to get equal cuddles whether in twos or threes. Joey has always liked lone time (the girls cuddle then) & it reassuring that Joey & Mouse have each other at night when Boo comes upstairs to guard her humans. As morbid as it sounds one of the things I really like about a trio is that in the event of a bereavement they would still have the comfort of company of their own kind.

I found it took 7 months before they seemed fully integrated & it was a gradual thing. The loving behaviours gradually took over the less desirable behaviours of bossy Boo. At its worst it wasn't terrible - a couple of incidents a day with Boo chasing & moving Mouse on, at other times they did rabbity things as a group

It'd be nice to find a way to introduce blankets back in for Millie even if it does mean more laundry & holes

I had that with my two girls. (I only clicked when you mentioned it j&b)

Daphne used to do a lot of nipping and chasing of Phoebe. It still goes on, but mainly at dinner time.

They've been bonded a year roughly and it has reduced a lot as they've settled into their pair.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That's really useful, thanks joey&boo and daphnephoebe. I notice the chasing is worse first thing in the morning when they are waiting on their fibafirst sticks (they each get 1 around 8am and they are always excited to get them lol) although it does go on at other points through the day too. I will definitely give them more time to settle down, they're not fighting or completely incompatible so hopefully they will grow to like each other more. It may be that Millie just isn't used to bunny company and likes to sit on her own sometimes, she was very young when she was found and I think it very likely that this is her first experience of living with other rabbits. She is exceptionally friendly with humans so she gets plenty attention from me and the kids!

Re the blanket situation - I put a blanket back in yesterday sitting on top of their hide and ironically the 2 boys have been hogging it and Millie is still resting in the litter tray! I also bought a door mat for something warmer for them to sit on (the boys previously had a door mat, the ones with no pile which they don't tend to eat as much) and none of them have rally used it as yet. Always lots of trial and error with rabbits!

As much as I would love a fourth rabbit I don't want to take the chance of adding another right now, I love lops yet somehow I have ended up with 3 uppy eared bunnies - my next one will be a lop so I'll see what my foster caring brings as that gives me a good idea of their personality before committing to another.

:)
I prefer uppy earred buns, between the three of them they have 3 uppy ears (although as helicopter buns Mouse & Boo go either way :lol:)

I always think that even if they aren't always lovey dovey it must be nice & reassuring to have company of other rabbits. I know you'll be able to read her behaviour if she looked unhappy or lost condition. I have faith they'll get closer in time

Back