• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lonely 11 week old

hi

iam new to this forum, i have an 11 week old dwarf bunny called Peter i rescued him from a neglectful home. He is extremely friendly and lives in a huge hutch on his own. I also have guinea pigs when they are all out in their runs Peter is in one on his own and he looks so lonely. I would love to get him a companion and fortunately my friends female has had babies last week i have said that i would have one. Would it be better for me to have a male or female, if i get female how old would peter have to be before he can neutered

I'm sure Peter will be much happier with a friend :)
Males can be neutered as soon as their testicles have dropped (usually around 14-16 weeks or so) they are still potentially fertile for about 6 weeks after. Females can be neutered at around 5-6 months, and they are at great risk of uterine cancer if not neutered so it is a very good idea to neuter them.
Was your friend's litter an accident?

yes she bought the female from suposedly reputable pet shop 2 weeks ago, then on tuesday morning she found babies in the hutch. she went back to the shop but denied any knowledge of the pregnancy.

That happens alot unfortunately.
i hope she manages to find homes for all of the babies xx

Getting him a friend is definetely a good idea, id get him done first and leave it at least six weeks until you think about bonding them but i your friend shouldnt rehome her babies until they are 8 weeks anyway so should be about right :) Then when your female is old enough you can have her spayed. You'll need to bond them in neutral territory.

Back