• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fly Killers

Becca6

Mama Doe
I'm going mad looking for things to keep flies away. Going to get something to put over the window, and after finding a big yucky fly in the house today I'm on a mission.

Has anyone tried one of these Insect Killers? I know you can get big fly zappers but would prefer something smaller, and this one plugs in, but you can also get a rechargeable one so I could have one near the window which is the only place they can come in, and one plugged in.

I'm also wondering if these Insect Repellant Blocks are any good.

Anyone tried these or anything like them?

:wave: cant help with the fly killers..but prevention is the best thing....

http://www.flyscreenqueen.co.uk/windows.htm

i love em cos they help catch a bit of pollen too:lol:

you can oder the packs then add more fabric or hook n loop tape as you need it.....ive got to redo some of mine..its called having kittens who then are nearly two..and still demons!:lol: hanging from the polyester one was the best..the fibreglass one was worse! darned moths.thats what they were chasing..oh yeah and some HUGE flies..yuk...also deters wasps spiders etc.

natural insect repellants used to include hanging loads of sprigs of lavendar and rosemary eveywhere..if it didnt work at least your house smelt nice!

actually theyre renowned for their anti insect properties as is of course citronella.......

ive tried something similar to the second one years ago off betterware or kleeneze..and i mean a long time ago now b4 i discovered the netting!

i also kept a can of cheap hairspray..sticks their wings together and suffocates them i was always told. the vets have an anti flea spray which isnt insecticide but silicone..would work on flies too i reckon..its called skoosh.

That looks great - thanks :wave: That's what I was wanting to get for the window - their window is the only window I leave open so, unless Oliver holds the catflap open for the dratted flies to follow him in, there's no other way for them to get in :lol:

Will order some tomorrow.

Ah yes - I remember the kitten stage - particularly the leaping and climbing up your body :shock: Now I've just got him bringing birds and mice in :roll:

ah we lost all three of our puddy trio between 2003 and 2006..the last to go was 13 bless her..her brother died at 10 from heart failure..she died if kidney disease and failure...and her baby died after licking solvent cleaner off a pvc frame that was part of a disability adaptation..a porh for my daughters ekectric wheelchair..i told the workmen but they ignored me obviously..her kidneys collapsed:(

didnt want any more cats but thats how it goes..ours are black rats as we call em..:lol::lol:

im lucky cos two buns parented these tiny scraps i took in..now ive got two odd shaped rabbits and a bunny who grew up with them whose a french lop cabbbit:lol:

i swear by my netting...id be lost without it..now all i need is a wood n wire screen to put up against for my 2 dimwitted cats!:lol:

I bought a couple of those electric fly zappers about a month ago and have to say that they have made very little difference at all.

Last year I used fly tape hanging up from the ceiling and they seemed to do a much better job. Think I might have to be going back to that method.

I never open the windows unless I have flyscreen over them - I made some out of sticky backed velcro and some nylon mesh I bought off the market - very easy, no sewing at all - I stapled the corners of the velcro to the mesh and it just rips up when I want to open or close the window :)

I use the flyblocks outside when the shed door's open - they don't seem to work at all but they stink :roll:

those big flies are very intelligent (for flies!) - they wait on your door at the top, and when you open it they get a lift indoors :shock: Always have a quick look before you open it wide - I've seen one systematically searching for a way in through a window too - they're not daft! They will fly out if you leave a door wide open though - when they come in the shed they don't stay - in this weather they want to be outside - it's in cooler weather and at nightfall they will come and hide in the pleats at the top of your curtains etc to overwinter - so check those places in spring too before they wake up properly :?

The small house flies are annoying but harmless - it's just the biggies that are the flystrike ones.

I never open the windows unless I have flyscreen over them - I made some out of sticky backed velcro and some nylon mesh I bought off the market - very easy, no sewing at all - I stapled the corners of the velcro to the mesh and it just rips up when I want to open or close the window :)

I use the flyblocks outside when the shed door's open - they don't seem to work at all but they stink :roll:

those big flies are very intelligent (for flies!) - they wait on your door at the top, and when you open it they get a lift indoors :shock: Always have a quick look before you open it wide - I've seen one systematically searching for a way in through a window too - they're not daft! They will fly out if you leave a door wide open though - when they come in the shed they don't stay - in this weather they want to be outside - it's in cooler weather and at nightfall they will come and hide in the pleats at the top of your curtains etc to overwinter - so check those places in spring too before they wake up properly :?

The small house flies are annoying but harmless - it's just the biggies that are the flystrike ones.

Well the one that got in ended up wishing it'd not tried so hard to get in. After whacking it very hard a few times (and mostly missing :shock:) I resorted to the fly spray which I hate using but needs must and the bunnies were still tucked up in their lovenest. I'm not a violent person but oh how I wanted to damage that fly for daring to get in the house :lol: :lol: :lol: After that I was totally paranoid and cleaned their cage out thoroughly (midnight by the time I'd done :shock:) just in case there was the smallest chance it had done anything nasty, and then T got a bum check and Bell actually let me check hers for the first time - I think maybe she was so hot she didn't have the energy to fight back :shock: :lol: :lol:

Won't bother with the plugin zappers then I don't think. Will get some netting up and get some of the horrid smelling blocks just in case it works, and some fly papers. Woe betide any more of the b*****s get in :evil: :shock:

yeah I always kill them, and I'm a vegan :shock: but my responsibility is to my furry babies, not the survival of the fly race :?

Back