• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fernando's new condo

AndyH

New Kit
Hey folks,

My girlfriend and I got our rabbit, Fernando (named after Torres, not ABBA!?) about a year ago, but I only recently found this forum and was really impressed with all the excellent NIC condos people had built. We keep Fernando indoors as we live in a fourth floor rented apartment (overlooking a marina - he likes his sea views!) and have no garden.

We let him run around in the evening, but during the day we are both at work so he needs to be contained somehow!?...so I thought I'd give the NIC condo idea a go...it took me a while to find the cubes in the UK, but eventuallt got them from B+Q, though I had to order them in and wait three weeks...

Anyway, I just thought I'd put up a few photos of Fernando enjoying his new home! :D

4690710104_e85f813118.jpg

The plans!...

4690705654_082a4d7789.jpg

...and the finished product!

4690706512_b54713c3e4.jpg

4690707316_f891575269.jpg

The door opens top half only to stop him jumping out...

4690708240_e7b2755ae5.jpg

...or fully to let me climb in and clean!

4690069953_84ed3a6040.jpg

Enjoying the view...

4690709230_15f065fd3c.jpg

4690710012_5488bbd941.jpg

Munching away on some hay...

4690105551_558982b13d.jpg

Chill-out time... :D

ooh loving the idea of the flower basket as a hay rack may have to nick that one ;) and what a lovely cage he has there im thinking about building one for my guinea pigs. how much did the cubes cost if you dont mind me asking? :)

ooh loving the idea of the flower basket as a hay rack may have to nick that one ;) and what a lovely cage he has there im thinking about building one for my guinea pigs. how much did the cubes cost if you dont mind me asking? :)

I'm actually living in Dublin at the minute so they cost me 44euro per box (23 per box) but in the UK they are £29.98 per box (see link below)

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=wire+mesh+cube&x=0&y=0

I used 54 grids for mine...the platforms are made from 12mm plywood...and are finished with a nice deep pile carpet of course! :D

Wow, wow and triple wow! That's some crib yo bunny got there!

I now have to have one. How stable does it feel? I notice you didn't use the corner connectors - did you use cable straps?

Wow, wow and triple wow! That's some crib yo bunny got there!

I now have to have one. How stable does it feel? I notice you didn't use the corner connectors - did you use cable straps?

Thanks - Fernando seems to like it anyway! He bounces up and down levels with glee - no need for a ramp! :D

You're right - I didn't use the corner connectors. I lot of other guys on this forum had mentioned they weren't that strong so I just took their lead and used cable ties. It is really sturdy actually - the timber floors help tighten everything up as well because I've cable tied the floors to the sides as well as resting them on the supports.

I love this - and Fernando looks like he does too (though I will always be thinking Alonso rather than Torres - sorry :lol: :oops: )
*begins plotting to see if OH will let me bring boys back indoors again mwuhuhuh*

Hi All

I have completed one similiar

I love fernando's cage and after thinking about the design i came up with this!!!

I think Fernando's mum or dad can agree it takes a while but once you have done the cage and you see your happy bun in there you know it was all worth it ;);)

Are buns can't go in there just yet due to them being recently bonded but i hope when they do get in there they will like it ;)

PICT1551.jpg

Back