• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suitable for 2 bunnies?

Its hard to comment without the dimensions but having seen similar in the shops I'd say it was too small. It doesn't provide an awful lot of sheltered area in the bad weather. You'd be much better off with a 6x2x2 hutch and attached run. Probably cheaper too.

Agree with above post. Without measurements it would be hard to comment on that particular accommodation, however, in general, these are just not big enough for all weather accommodation as the only all weather bit is the little box which is normally about 3x3 - way to small for rabbits to exercise 'indoors'. The foot print of these is normally only as big as the recommended hutch size (RWA/RSPCA/Animal Welfare Act) so it would need a run attaching to it anyway.

Lots of threads on this forum commenting on this type of housing - just have a look in the accommodation pages. Some people like them, I dislike them intensely and think that for the money you can buy much, much better. The wood is normally chinese fir and doesn't last at all.

Helen

Sorry but it's still not suitable in my opinion and if I was homechecking - this wouldn't pass for adoption unless it had boards added all the way around and a run added. It's too small. It's made like this to be more attractive to humans and it doesn't really take into account what the rabbits need. As I mentioned earlier the sleeping area is tiny in these.

I'd really recommend you shop around - you can do much better than this for the momey you will be spending.

Agree with The Ducess and I have 2 of them!

Too small for 2 buns for sure. We adapted ours filling in the backs with corrolux, making shelves and a solid base - lots of work and extra money. 1 of ours is not a wood they love to chew but they are systematically destroying the other one (single buns in each but they swap over). One of ours is a base in an aviary and the other is outside - my husband is just making an extension for this one, say no more. They won't live together so we have to juggle them between the two so they both get run time in the aviary.

Hi

I'm just going out the door but will post some photos of assorted suggestions later and where to get them from.

In the meanwhile, there will be loads of other folks along who will be able to recommend what they have got.

Just to be going on with - the RSPCA sell a hutch that is £110 and is 6x2x2.

Or there is Happy Hutch who sell a 6x2x2 over a 6x4 run for about £130-£140.

Helen

There are lots of pictures on this website with ideas. For an average pair of rabbits most rescues will rehome to a minimum of 36 square feet.

This can be made up of a 6 x 2 hutch over a 6 x 4 run, or a 6 x 6 shed

I have a 6 x 4 Wendy with an attatched run. It is really about what works to fit your enviroment and budget.

It is definately worth spending a bit more than a basic soft wood hutch as in the long run you will end up replacing it.

The advantages of a shed or a wendy is that you can get inside it on a wet, cold day.

Right, couple of photos

This is a Kernow Pet Housing hutch over a run. This is being used for foster buns but does come as a double storey and you can add a run. This particular one is a 6x3x3 over 6x3x2 so possibly only good for a small to medium pair.
KernowPetHousing6x3x3Double002.jpg

This is one of the RSPCA hutches with a run that I have made that wraps around it.
IMG_2302.jpg
[/IMG]

This is a wendy house set up.
IMG_2334.jpg

There are lots of pictures on this website with ideas. For an average pair of rabbits most rescues will rehome to a minimum of 36 square feet.

This can be made up of a 6 x 2 hutch over a 6 x 4 run, or a 6 x 6 shed

I have a 6 x 4 Wendy with an attatched run. It is really about what works to fit your enviroment and budget.

It is definately worth spending a bit more than a basic soft wood hutch as in the long run you will end up replacing it.

The advantages of a shed or a wendy is that you can get inside it on a wet, cold day.

would a 4x4 playhouse serve as sufficient 'hutch' space with 6x4 run attached ?

I have just ordered this hutch, it is due to be delivered tomorrow, I have heard very good things about it! They have made the run 6x5x2 for me and delivered they charged me £170!

This is a hutch that many people who have I met through adoptions have gone for and they work very well. Good quality and a reasonable price. And, they will modify sizes.

would a 4x4 playhouse serve as sufficient 'hutch' space with 6x4 run attached ?

A 4 x 4 foot = 16 square feet + 6 x 4 run = 24 square feet.
Total space = 40 square feet, therefore this would work well for a normal sized pair of bunnies.

Having now got my Wendy I would be relunctant now to go back to a normal hutch / run arrangement in the cold wet weather.

My suggestions would be to go to a garden centre or a DIY centre where they sell these and see how you feel that cleaning out would be for you. The taller the wendy the easier it is to get it and move about.

A 4 x 4 foot = 16 square feet + 6 x 4 run = 24 square feet.
Total space = 40 square feet, therefore this would work well for a normal sized pair of bunnies.

Having now got my Wendy I would be relunctant now to go back to a normal hutch / run arrangement in the cold wet weather.

My suggestions would be to go to a garden centre or a DIY centre where they sell these and see how you feel that cleaning out would be for you. The taller the wendy the easier it is to get it and move about.

thanks for that:)

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions. We can't have a wendy house as we only have a backyard and we don't have the room. We do however have a shed. My thoughts are that I will section off a third of the shed, would have to get the measurements. I am guessing about 5 foot across the shed, by about 2-3 feet. I could then cut a hole in the side wall of the shed and attached an outside run that would be 2 foot wide and 8 foot length.

Would this be OK?

Back