• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carrot Tops

Mine have the tops of one carrot each per day. They have always been fine with this. I never vary their diet though, they have the same food at the same time everyday, as I've found deviations from routine can lead to tummy problems in some of my bunnies.

One of the vets at the RWA conference said that carrot tops should only be given as a treat as they are exceptionally high in calcium so put a lot of additional pressure on the kidneys if fed in large quantities - I used to buy nice bunched carrots quite regularly but I've stopped that now and they only get them occasionally.

Mine get them once every two weeks :D Once they have been split up and mixed with the rest of their veg its not very much per bunny though :D

I wouldn't feed them more than 2/3 times a week as although they are not high in sugar like the actual carrot they are high in calcium which can lead to problems with bladder sludge and stones.

Back