• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carrot tops

mariposa

Mama Doe
I know carrots themselves are very much an occasional treat, but can carrot tops be fed as any other bun-friendly leafy greens? Thank you 🐰

I'd be wary of feeding loads - apparently 1.5 bunches of carrot tops would provide the recommended daily allowance of calcium for an average sized rabbit so if a regular & sizeable part of diet it might upset the calcium balance. However I'm guessing you're more likely to feed a bunch over several days which I'd be fine about

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

I agree. Possibly also test weigh one of your tops to judge how much to feed. Our carrot tops don't weigh as much as that :)

My lot (6 rabbits and 4 guinea pigs) get one lot of carrot tops between them most weeks.

Thanks all 😊 Yep wold be a bunch over several days. Hope they like them - will report back tomorrow as it was spring greens tonight! Will start a smaller amount of carrot tops tomorrow to get them used to them 🥕

Raven loves carrot tops and they are often first thing he eats on his own after dentals. I rarely give a bunny tops from more than 2 medium sized carrots, yet gave him more. I accumulated several bunches of 'topless' carrots since Raven's dental, so guess what veggie is on our menu?

I saw carrot tops on the list of safe veggies for rabbits to eat. But carrot tops are not sold where I live. That's why I never fed my bunny. But the friends on the forum said it was safe. :)

I give them as a treat, sometimes I'll buy a bunch of carrots for my share pony, and the rabbits get the tops (although the horse will also eat them because he's greedy as anything!).

Back