• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Marking the End of an Era-Updated Friday 4th December

Jack's story brings a tear to my eye. He must've been such a special bunny. I am glad he was able to be in your life and be such a wonderful friend when you needed it. :love: xxxxxxx

You have such an inspirational relationship with your rabbits Jane, this thread is amazing you've helped so many rabbits too. I love the photo of you and Jack your story made me cry.

Over the years I have adopted quite a few 'Golden Oldies'.

Uncle Albert had been taken into a Vet to be PTS because he was 'old and too smelly'. The Vet managed to get the owner to agree to signing Uncle Albert over to Animal Lifeline Rescue. Uncle A was in a dreadful state, emaciated, caked in poo, urine scald, mites, awful teeth and gunky eyes. Christine, who deals with the Small Furies at Animal Lifeline called me to ask if I could help with Uncle Albert. So I collected him and took him straight to C. He needed to be stabalised before he could have his teeth sorted out, he was far too weak for a GA. But it became apparent that unless his teeth were dealt with he would never be able to eat for himself. We had to take the risk. He had horrendous spurs, ulcers on his cheeks and a lacerated tongue. Several of his teeth just fell out. He also had a lot of pus in his gums, hence the fact that his previous owner said he was 'too smelly'. During the GA Uncle A stopped breathing. C had to give him 'mouth to mouth' to try to resuscitate him. Thankfully she succeeded and despite his ordeal Uncle Albert made a very rapid recovery. He did need regular dentals for the rest of his life, but thankfully he coped very well with each one. I eventually lost him when, at the age of 9, he developed a Fibrosarcoma in his mouth

Ruffles was signed over to Bobtails Rescue at the age of about 12. He had been a much loved children's Pet, but they had all grown up and gone off to Uni and their Mother had walked out of the home leaving the Father to care for Ruffles. He, the Father, felt it was unfair for Ruffles to spend his final days alone most of the time so he signed him over to Delia at Bobtails. Delia told me about him and so I offered him a home. He was an adorable old man and he was with us for just over a year

Grandpa Gregory was another Bobtails Rescue. He was signed over at the age of 10. Apparently his owners no longer had time for him. He too was an absolute sweetheart and I hope he enjoyed his final months here

Rupert also came from Bobtails. He was part of a large Rescue from a Breeder who had abandoned all his 'stock'. They were all deprived of food and water for days. Many did not survive and those who did were in a bad way. Rupert was only with us for a week. The neglect caused renal failure. But during that week he did at least get to feel the sun on his back. For the previous 7-8 years he had not set foot outside of his hutch

Last edited:
Erin, the little Himilayan, was an 8 year old rescued from a Back Yard Breeder. The Breeder had already had many Rabbits removed by the RSPCA, Erin being one of them. But for some reason the RSPCA gave her back, although they did spay her. However, the Breeder kept her in a tiny hutch with different entire Bucks. Consequently she was constantly 'pestered' and developed an abscess on her back due to the Bucks biting her to cling on as they mounted her. When Erin arrived here she was emaciated and exhausted

After several months Delia from Bobtails let me know of another Oldie she had taken in. He was 11. I did not hesitate to offer him a home. I called him Dr Finlay. He was so, so gentle and he had lived alone in a hutch all his life. I very slowly introduced him to Erin and they became absolutely inseparable

Major Tom, aged 8, was taken in by ARC after his owners took him to C to be PTS as they did not want to pay for his Dental treatment. Major Tom had hardly any teeth and those he did have were a mess. He came to live here as a 'Permanent Foster'. He was such an affectionate little Rabbit

This is what he used to do to get my attention

Old Bill obtained his name as he was found in the garden of a house that The Police had been called to after an 'unexplained death'. The Police contacted ARC and they took him in. Old Bill came to live here as another 'Permanent Foster'. He was such a funny lad, he could also pack away an unbelievable amount of food. I managed to bond him with a Doe called Lara and they were very happy together

Finally for now Martha. She came to live here as yet another ARC 'Permanent Foster'. She was aged about 7 and was in a very sorry state. She had hind leg weakness and her previous owners had failed to notice that a band of hay had become twisted around a hind leg. It must have been stuck there for some time as it had embedded into the skin

Martha never regained full use of her hind legs, we suspect that she had had EC. But her wound healed and I was able to bond her with a little Buck called Nomad. He too had hind leg weakness due to EC

Elderly Rabbits are so wonderful and it was a privilege to care for all of the ones who came to live here.

All these beautiful bunnies all with their own stories. :love: I think you need to put all this in a book Jane. I'd buy 10 copies!! Totally fascinating, heartbreaking and inspiring. :love:

Goodness me, I don't think I realised just how many rabbits have been fortunate enough to find their way to you.

Their stories are heartbreaking yet wonderful that they were able to live out their lives, however long or short that was, safe in the knowledge that they were loved and cared for beyond measure xxx

Amazing stories and photos. You've a brilliant memory, Jane. I can't remember all the details of the bunnies I've shared my life with over the years. Some I can, but not in the depth you remember them, especially those I had over 20 years ago when I used to keep them with guinea-pigs *cringe*

Amazing stories and photos. You've a brilliant memory, Jane. I can't remember all the details of the bunnies I've shared my life with over the years. Some I can, but not in the depth you remember them, especially those I had over 20 years ago when I used to keep them with guinea-pigs *cringe*

I have done that in the past too

Jane I'm so moved by all the stories of your wonderful bunnies.Most of their pasts were so sad before they were embraced in your love and care.I didn't find RU until after you lost Jack so I was interested to see pictures of him(what a beauty!)and his sweet wife Maggie.Her story is another sad one,but she looks so happy in the pictures with Jack.
What experience and knowledge you have built up through the years.What lucky bunnies to have known and been loved by you.

Jane I'm so moved by all the stories of your wonderful bunnies.Most of their pasts were so sad before they were embraced in your love and care.I didn't find RU until after you lost Jack so I was interested to see pictures of him(what a beauty!)and his sweet wife Maggie.Her story is another sad one,but she looks so happy in the pictures with Jack.
What experience and knowledge you have built up through the years.What lucky bunnies to have known and been loved by you.

Thank you, my Rabbits have always been my family and my life xx

Then of course there was the little bit of bother I got into with the Police regarding me removing some extremely 'at risk' Rabbits from a Backyard Breeder. The RSPCA had already given the Breeder a 5 year ban from keeping Horses/Ponies after being found guilty of cruelty and neglect. So the BYB moved on to doing the same to Rabbits...........

After being made aware of the dire situation at the BYB's premises myself and another person set about getting as many sick and injured Rabbits out as we could by posing as people wanting to buy a Rabbit.. What we did not know was that allegedly the RSPCA were building another case against the BYB . Whether this was true or not I will never know. But the RSPCA subsequently claimed that I had sabbotaged their case by removing the sick and injured Rabbits. Again, if that was true I dont know. By (stupidly) posting about our Rescue mission on here the BYB was tipped off about it. BYB called the Police and accused me of theft. Theft of Rabbits in this state:

Alysia- chemical burns, untreated

Big Libby after C operated on her to remove an enormous abscess that was within a mm of penetrating her spine. Big Libby was only about 10 weeks old

The Police arrested me, I was DNA swabbed, fingerprinted and an attempt made to take my mug-shot. But the camera broke !! I was held in Police custody for several hours and interviewed on tape under caution. I showed the Detective photos of the injured Rabbits and explained the exact circumstances. C also spoke with the Police and provided evidence of all the emergency Veterinary treatment both Rabbits had received whilst in my care. But the Police made it clear that unless I returned the Rabbits to the BYB I would be charged. I could not send them back to the hell-hole. But I could not remain in Police custody as I had over 30 other Rabbits who relied on me. So I said I would only hand the Rabbits over to the RSPCA. It turned out the the BYB only wanted Alysia back, the BYB did not care if I kept Big Libby or if the other person kept the Rabbits she had removed. I found out later that the reason the BYB wanted Alysia back was because Alysia was pregnant. The BYB told the Police that the Kits would 'make a lot of money' when put up for sale..................

I really, really did not want to hand Alysia over to the RSPCA, but in order to be released from Police custody I had to. It broke my heart as to this day I do not know what became of her. The RSPCA would not tell me or C. These are two of the 4 other photos I have of Alysia

Big Libby remained with us. She recovered from ordeal and she grew to be the most gentle Rabbit.

As some of you know, I eventually bonded her with Morse.

There is more to this story, but it is not appropriate to post it all on a public forum. Suffice to say that not everyone who follows Rabbit Forums does so for their love of Rabbits.

I remember the trouble you went through to try to save Alysia..she is a rabbit who has stayed in my mind as the picture of her wound is just awful. Lets hope the scare the BYB had was enough to raise her standards of care and those who helped in the return of that poor rabbit somehow got their due too :( x

I remember the trouble you went through to try to save Alysia..she is a rabbit who has stayed in my mind as the picture of her wound is just awful. Lets hope the scare the BYB had was enough to raise her standards of care and those who helped in the return of that poor rabbit somehow got their due too :( x

Me too Jill, I so hope 'Karma' exists..............

Such a tragic tale, poor Alysia :cry:

I cannot comprehend how anyone could cause such pain and infliction such a beautiful defenceless creatures.

As you say, let's hope there's karma.

Bless you for what you did xx

I cannot comprehend how anyone could cause such pain and infliction such a beautiful defenceless creatures.

What makes it even more incomprehensible is that the BYB could continue to abuse other species of animals despite already being given a ban on keeping Horses.

What makes it even more incomprehensible is that the BYB could continue to abuse other species of animals despite already being given a ban on keeping Horses.
I've always thought that if someone was capable of abusing one type of animal, they would be capable of doing so to anything else :(

Back