• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Now Jims isnt well UPDATE- He's hopefully on the mend!! :)

rachylou

Warren Veteran
I think it is time for his teeth to be burred. He has done so well though, his last dental was in March. I am just praying that he allows them to do it consiously as he was difficult last time.
He is definitly showing signs of his teeth needing doing, his poops have gotten smaller, he is being picky with what he eats and is a bit grumpy- lunging at me and Cookie so I know he is not feeling 'well'. :cry:
Had to move the appointment for Cookie to an earlier one so they can try and do Jimby's teeth at the same time.

Last edited:
Just got back, the vet does not think the spurs are bad enough to warrent burring, they are not digging in anywhere and are so small.
He thinks it may well be an eliment of 'car sickness' which has caused it, as he seems to be off colour a lot when he has been on a journey.
He has covered him with metaclop and pain relief, with the hope that he will be fit and well tomorrow and not need to be seen over the weekend.

He did mention that it may be worth cutting back on the vaccinations and only doing myxo as then that would be less traveling for him, I said that I think that being a bit off colour is in my opinion the lesser of two evils and I would rather vaccinate than run the risk.

He is not doing so good! :( Just picking at bits, he will not eat hay or pellets, has had some veg and dried herbs but that is it.
From what I can tell he has done a few poops but they are extremely small.

Aww so sorry you're worried about your lil man!I hope he feels better soon. Im sure someone will be along soon with some useful advice. *hugs*

Thankyou for showing support! I know sometimes people just miss a thread but when you get few or no responses it really feels like no one cares :cry:

I know it can feel like that sometimes :) is he drinking plenty even though he's off his food?

He had a HUGE drink when we came back from the vets... HE IS IN HIS HAY BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p
I am staying up with them tonight, hopefully I will be able to get some sleep on Sunday, only had 2 hours last night :(

He did not stay in there long but I guess it shows he has some appeitie which is good. Will probably still have to take them in tomorrow morning to get another metaclop, he will not be able to have the pain relief in the morning it is a 24hr one he has and had it today at 4.45pm so fingers crossed he wont need it!! :shock:

I am trying not to be too sensitive but I have only had a few hours sleep, but it really does seem like Shelly and you, Lydz are the only ones who care :cry:
Jims is still not well, he is feeling quite grumpy this morning too, still not eating pellets or hay but is munching on some veg and dried herbs.
We have an appointment for 11.10am this morning.
I dont think he will be able to have the pain releif till this afternoon will he?
He had it at 4.45pm yesterday and it is a 24 hr one so it would be too early this morning wouldnt it?..... He has just taken himself in to his hay box and is eating some hay! :love:
Fingers crossed he is feeling grumpy becasue he thinks I am jst being a mother hen fussing over him and he istrying to tell me he is starting to feel a bit better.

Let us know how the vets appointment goes and double check with him if it is too soon to give more pain relief. Thinking of you both x x

Saw a locum today, she was nice but I dont think she was particually bunny savvy.
I asked her to give him the metaclop and Zantac as this has helped him before and also if he could have a pain releif.
She had never heard of giving both the gut stimulants together and did not seem to keen to do so but had a look back on Jimby's history and saw that I was telling the truth she repeated it.
They syring fed him some recovery whilst we were there, she said that his tummy felt empty, which I can not understand as he has been eating very small amounts so there should be somthing in there?! :?
She did kind of belittle us, our vets know how difficult Jimby is to handle and they understand that we are unable to do so at home as he is even worse then, but she kept on about how we need to keep up the syring feeds at home. We tried explaining it all to her, I mean even she had trouble handling him and she is a professional, she got a nurse to help, so what does she really expect too 'normals' to be able to do at home where he feels confident in fighting back?! :shock:
Anyway we have always been on the side of believing that as long as they are eating so something is going in, not to stress them out by syringing them and because Jimby gets stressed very easily we do not want to cause more problems than he already has.
Anyway I 'begged' her to give us a metaclop. injection so we can at least try to give it to him tonight (our usual vet has shown us how).

Did she give any pain relief? At least you know he has something in his tummy now :) Im sure someone else with more knowledge will be along with advice soon *hugs*

Thankyou Lily for your best wishes! Jimby needs as many as he can get bless him.

Yes he had his pain relief this morning so I am hoping that in a few hours he will perk up and start wanting to eat something. He is all upset with me at the moment. :cry:

Saw a locum today, she was nice but I dont think she was particually bunny savvy.
I asked her to give him the metaclop and Zantac as this has helped him before and also if he could have a pain releif.
She had never heard of giving both the gut stimulants together and did not seem to keen to do so but had a look back on Jimby's history and saw that I was telling the truth she repeated it.
They syring fed him some recovery whilst we were there, she said that his tummy felt empty, which I can not understand as he has been eating very small amounts so there should be somthing in there?! :?
She did kind of belittle us, our vets know how difficult Jimby is to handle and they understand that we are unable to do so at home as he is even worse then, but she kept on about how we need to keep up the syring feeds at home. We tried explaining it all to her, I mean even she had trouble handling him and she is a professional, she got a nurse to help, so what does she really expect too 'normals' to be able to do at home where he feels confident in fighting back?! :shock:
Anyway we have always been on the side of believing that as long as they are eating so something is going in, not to stress them out by syringing them and because Jimby gets stressed very easily we do not want to cause more problems than he already has.
Anyway I 'begged' her to give us a metaclop. injection so we can at least try to give it to him tonight (our usual vet has shown us how).

Awww hun dont feel like no one cares - I dont think people look in health as much as in rabbit chat, also the forum has been very quiet for the past few days.

Is your usual vet back soon? If not I would try and make sure that you see someone else you dont need her adding to your stress. Its good that he is eating something, have you tried porridge at all that can often help to stimulate appetite

He is all upset with me at the moment so I am trying to leave him be for an hour so he can calm down and realise he is home and safe.
Then I think I will try and feed him somehting, whatever he wants at this point. :(
He is my baby :cry:
We are having a phone call tomorrow from the vet on duty and will decide if we need to go in or not and we have an appointment Monday morning with one of our regular vets.

Back