• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just had to take Lola to the vets U/D Post 138

That's good news :)

I'm also putting the small bits out of the Burns oat hay bag and dust from the Science Selective in a bowl, then grating carrot and putting chopped white grapes into it. That way I feel they are getting some of the fibre with the treats (as unfortunately the other 2 scoff it as well as Spike)

That's good news :)

I'm also putting the small bits out of the Burns oat hay bag and dust from the Science Selective in a bowl, then grating carrot and putting chopped white grapes into it. That way I feel they are getting some of the fibre with the treats (as unfortunately the other 2 scoff it as well as Spike)

That's a great idea! Thanks once again! :wave:

I'm so very sorry to hear of Lolas' troubles. Everything crossed that she starts to eat soon. May I re read your thread tomorrow?

I'm so very sorry to hear of Lolas' troubles. Everything crossed that she starts to eat soon. May I re read your thread tomorrow?

Of course! No need to ask!:wave:

She hasn't eaten through the night this time, and isn't interested in her breakfast as of yet. She's nibbled some hay, had a drink, weed and done a few poos. I'm getting her to tooth purr on the odd occassion by snuggling up with her, I'm not hearing loud grinding to suggest she's in pain, but I can't help thinking she may need a stronger pain killer or something. She's on 1.8ml of Metacam twice a day for 5 days, then 1.3ml twice a day for another 3 weeks:shock:.

She hasn't touched pellets since getting back from our visit to the vets on the 18th. :(, she seems to have gone off dill which was her favourite! :( I'm going to try veges as usual, porridge again, baby food, soaked pellets with weetabix today, the vege pesto and the pellet dust,hay dust mix.:cry: I can't tempt her with fruit really since she's never really fancied it, but I guess that's a good thing with the sugar content. :(

Thanks for the vibes! I really hope they work :cry:

Just rang the vets because shes not eating again and seems uncomfortable today, I've now picked up some Zantac which I have to give 0.75ml of twice a day and some Maxalon Syrup which I must give 1.3ml of three times a day, both are to help keep the gut moving:(. Lola is not a happy bunny! I think she hates me, especially since the recovery formula all over her dewlap incident this morning! :cry:

Lots of vibes for eating and poos please! :wave:

Argh! I'm at my wits end:(. I've tried all her veges, porridge, weetabix, soaked pellets, baby food, vege pesto paste stuff, chopped hay in porridge with some crumbled breadstick,recovery formula, even bought her some oxbow western tomothy hay for £10 from the vets:shock:, and also tried other variations of the above. She's just having none of it. I haven't seen any poos today either, but she has peed. I've given her 2 tummy rubs and I have fibreplex to give her, it's 1ml per kg of body weight right? she's had the new meds this morning and her metacam. She'll be having her antibiotic tonight. I feel so mean pushing so much on her and stressing her, but I don't know what else to do.

Any advice? :cry:

Aww, more vibes for Lola! Sorry I dont know anything to suggest :? Just try and keep her hydrated even if this means you have to syringe it into her....

Hopefully she will start eating soon :(

Good luck xxxxxxx

Aww, more vibes for Lola! Sorry I dont know anything to suggest :? Just try and keep her hydrated even if this means you have to syringe it into her....

Hopefully she will start eating soon :(

Good luck xxxxxxx

Thank you. I know I have to syringe everything at the moment, and she's really fighting me. I hate it, I don't want her to stop trusting me :cry:.

It's good she is fighting, however hard that is for you, because it means she still has spirit. I would suggest maybe looking at taking her back to the vets and maybe having narcotic pain relief.

It is hard when you have to do something that is distressing for you both, but try to always stay calm and relaxed when you do it because she will pick up on that. It is short term discomfort for her for long term gain, and you can win back her trust.

What have you been trying to feed her?

Sorry, just read some more of that. Did your vet not give your more pain meds today?

Nope, I rang up this morning and described how she was. There was no vet there today, so I spoke to the head nurse. She dispensed the drugs for me and advised on what to do. The vet is only open 8.30am to 11.00am today and tomorrow. I will be going back tomorrow anyway as I need more syringes.

I've tried grass, spring greens, curly kale, sugar snap peas, baby corn, basil, mint, coriander, parsley, dill, bananas, supreme science recovery, Porridge, soaked pellets, weetabix and pellets, chopped hay, warm water and oats and a variety of the greens grinded up to form a pesto type paste. :( even done the recovery mix with apple and pear (organic) baby food.

I do have an update that she just sat for 10minutes eating hay, me and my O/H almost started dancing with happiness about this.

I didn't notice "Thyme" on your list. This helped to get one of mine eating as it is strong smelling and not what they usually had.

Good news about the hay eating.

That's great about hay eating. Definitely a very positive thing.

Is she lively and alert? Is she getting lots of exercise?

Also, have you tried grass? That's what seems to bring mine round when nothing else will. I had a girl with post spay complications survive on grass only for about 2 weeks and would eat nothing else.

That's great about hay eating. Definitely a very positive thing.

Is she lively and alert? Is she getting lots of exercise?

She is alert, not as she used to be. But she'll dig the bed abit in anger, she has the whole house to run around in, but seems to want to stay near my bed at the moment, she's washing alot and when she does lay out it's quite nicely not in a ball.

SDC11626.jpg

She's not locked in her cage, she just goes in there sulking after I've given her meds.:(

How about some little bits of fruit? Mine go mad for banana and grapes, so if I want to stimulate them to eat I go with these, or rub half a grape onto something else. I think its cos they're sweet, we use fruit as a treat.

the only thing i can say is dont give up hun, keep on with the drugs and forcefeeding for as long as it takes for the pain to go away and for her to want to fight on again.

i hadnt seen this thread before and it sounds like youve both had a really rough time, but with persistance you will get her through it, no matter how much it hurts to put her thro the stress at least youy have all the proper treatments to keep her guts going and keep the nasty pain away

lots of vibes for you both xxxxxxxxxxxxx

How about some little bits of fruit? Mine go mad for banana and grapes, so if I want to stimulate them to eat I go with these, or rub half a grape onto something else. I think its cos they're sweet, we use fruit as a treat.

I've tried banana, but even before any of this happened, she's never been interested in fruit. I've tried apple and banana. She does like raisins and I haven't tried grapes yet so I will. But I'm unsure, I can;t give her alot because of the sugar content.:( I will try grapes, anything down her is good so, Thank you! :wave:

Back