• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

michelles not eating much

tomswife29

Young Bun
my bunny is going for surgery tomorrow morning and we have been giving her critical care in hopes she will gain some weight. 2 days ago she hardly ate any pellets but she ate her hay and veggies. yesterday she didnt eat any veggies, but ate her hay. when i pour her the pellets, she runs to me and sniffs the bag as if she hasnt eaten in years, and she looks around like crazy, but doesnt eat them1 i dont understand why shes doing this. i softened the pellets and she ate a little but not much. i fed her a carrot today and she ate it fast, so i dont think its her teeth. im worried because she seemed to be doing so well as far as food was concerned, and her surgerys tom. morning....

I would just keep trying to tempt her with the foods she will eat for now and tell the Vet about her decreased food intake when she is admitted for her op'.
The Vet can check her teeth when she's under GA

if its her tooth, then how is she able to eat carrots i wonder? since that seems to be all shell eat right now(besides the critical care im making her ear), is it ok to give her carrots. i kind of remember hearing somewhere you're not supposed to feed them carrots very often...

It may be that she has gone off certain foods as she is not feeling well due to the mass and possibile malignancy.
When a Rabbit has a malignancy they often go off all dried food and prefer Veg or 'natural' food such as grass/weeds/leaves etc.

I do hope that Michelle will get through her surgery OK. Please let us know.
The time difference over here means a reply may not be immediate but I will certainly be thinking of her.

Tons of vibes heading Michelles way.

p.s. I'd give her whatever she wants to eat at the moment. I'm having to do the same with my gummy bun Spike as I've got to build him up so that he can hopefully have a dental on his back teeth in about a weeks time now. He does exactly the same when he hears the pellet tin and only manages them once the Metacam has kicked in. He also gums grated carrots like there's no tomorrow.

Have all fingers and paws crossed here for your beautiful girl.

Hope everything goes well.

I also think it could well be teeth, as pellets (and hay) are usually the first to be left. Amber acted the same as your Michelle when her teeth has small spurs. Let's hope all that is needed is a little burr and it's not anything more nasty x

wonderful news!

Michelle came out of surgery today fine! the vet said she thinks she got it all (the tumor was on the out side of her) so im prayng she did, and it wont come back. i just brought her home a couple hours ago and shes already hopping around like normal. im so happy i can finally breath again. THANK YOU so much for all your thoughts and vibes it helped me so to think so many people were pulling for her:) you all are the best!!!!:love::love::love::love:

Michelle came out of surgery today fine! the vet said she thinks she got it all (the tumor was on the out side of her) so im prayng she did, and it wont come back. i just brought her home a couple hours ago and shes already hopping around like normal. im so happy i can finally breath again. THANK YOU so much for all your thoughts and vibes it helped me so to think so many people were pulling for her:) you all are the best!!!!:love::love::love::love:

Fantastic news :D

I hope she will make a full recovery

xx

Back