• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to get out of hutch and run...

Bunster

Young Bun
Advice please! My bun, Douglas, has an hour running around the house and/or garden in the morning whilst I am getting ready, having brekkie etc etc. I then put him in the run. I go to work. I come home about six-ish, let him out of the run and he runs around the garden for about another hour before coming in doors to veg out. He goes to bed in his hutch at about 9pm-10pm.

However, sometimes he does not want to go in his hutch or run, and will scramble to get out. He will paw at the wire mesh, and tap his head against it - it's absolutely heartbreaking for me but I don't know what to do as he can't be free all of the time for his own safety. Most of the time he's generally good, but how can I deal with the times that he is pawing to get out? I give him toys. I have also tried giving him a treat once he's in so he can associate it with going in the hutch or run. I am also thinking of getting another bun to keep him company - but the vet said that this might not work because he's so spoilt by us!!!

Stephanie

Hi Bunster

Does he have lots of toys, food treats, in his run? and hay etc? maybe you need to make the run more interesting for him?

My Nethie was on his own for 2 years because I thought he wouldn't get along with another bun (he was vicious to his littermates and to people, which is why I ended up with him, he bonded with me and I was the only one who could touch him!). But within the last few months he's gained 2 cagemates and they get along great! He really loves them, this morning he was using Rex's velvety bum for a nice headrest :lol:
You could always see if there's a rescue near you that would let you take him along and let him pick a bun he likes

hi

I guess Douglas has bonded to you, so he wants to be with you - If you took him to a rescue that neuters all its rabbits, you may find a rabbit there that he 'clicks' with, so he won't miss you so much - It's a bit hit and miss if you get a rabbit for him as they are choosey and temperamental with who they pal up with - better to let him decide :)

Ah, thanks for feedback. :) Dougie has been quite good lately. If I switch of all the lights (his hutch is facing our back door), that helps. But if he hears voices coming from the bathroom window - I can hear him rattling sometimes. He seems to prefer being indoors rather than outdoors - I suppose this is because he wants to be with me? But I can't have him as a house bun - I can't deal with rabbit poo and wee inside! My boyf says he doesn't want another rabbit as he can't be chasing two rabbits into the run every morning! But we'll see.... :wink: Stephanie

two is not that much more work than one :wink: :wink: in fact it might be easier!!and if he bonds well will take some of the guilt away you feel for not being able to have him inside!!! :)

hi

sorry if you already said this, but is he neutered? Obviously he can't have a pal unless he is, male or female, even if they are neutered - and he's going to make more mess too unneutered as he'll want to scent mark everywhere - I have indoor bunnies and they make less mess than a cat would as they are so good with their litter tray when neutered :)

Yup, he's neutered. He's very good with his toilet habits when he's indoors. :) Have just put him in the hutch - no probs tonight. He has been out all day so that might be it, and also he has a freshly cleaned hutch. :)

hi

It might just be a thing about routine - rabbits are very set in their ways so if he's got freedom all Saturday while you're home, he won't understand why this doesn't happen Mon-Friday.

Back