• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toilet Spot

Hi,

Only had the rabbit a few days but she seems to be going to the toilet all over her hutch rather than in one place.

I have heard that they can get used to using a litter tray in a hutch. If I buy a small paint roller kit and use the tray is it safe to actually put cat litter in it or do they sometimes try to eat it?

I dont mind it pooing in the run part of the hutch but she is doing it in her bed area. Apart from trying to spot clean/remove how often am I going to have to change all bedding and hay if she carries on doing this?

I don't know anything about Cat litter, but we use woodshavings in a cat litter tray and they (after a few accidents and patience) always use this now!

So I take it you dont use wood shavings in the rest of the hutch then? Would kind of defeat the object I guess!! :D

More worried about her/him peeing against the side of the hutch in the bed area.

I may try the wood shavings in a tray and just use newspaper in hutch then

ps : apart from bedding area obviously

I must admit for the rest of the hutch (or shed actually as we have 3 bunnies) I put down some left over bathroom cushion flooring. This way it was easy on the bunnies feet and very easy to scrub down.

My rabbit actually uses the sleeping area of his hutch as his toilet - his litter tray has ended up in there. I put newspaper and sawdust in the litter tray, along with a good handfull of hay for him to nibble on. He seems to prefer to sleep in the open end, even when it is cold.
Jane

My rabbit has sawdust and hay in the closed section of her hutch and goes in there. We did try to get her used to the idea of a litter tray but she would go next to it rather than in it!

:lol:

maxbun said:
My rabbit actually uses the sleeping area of his hutch as his toilet - his litter tray has ended up in there. I put newspaper and sawdust in the litter tray, along with a good handfull of hay for him to nibble on. He seems to prefer to sleep in the open end, even when it is cold.
Jane

My rabbits the same. I think she just likes to think she has her own bathroom! :lol:

Hutches with en-suite eh??!!

Just had her in the house for an hour now and she is so cute - our ten month old twins love her and she had a good sniff of them but gotta watch the boy as he wants to squeeze her/him!!

She just eat a few droppings of her own too....is this something they do?

Hi
Cat litter can sometimes block the buns stomach and prevent it from functioning proabaly. All of my buns are litter trained and trust me they will start to use it, just keep placing it where they decide they want to use as a toilet. From my experience sawdust can make them itch and irrate them, so I now use wood shavings, which at the mo all is ok.
I hope this helps, but Im still learning.
Craig

hi, I tend to use a cat litter tray with a paper based litter in the base covered with hay and that seems to work.

Try to avoid clay based cat litters, I think someone else mentioned that it can clog up their digestive systems when they decide to have nibble. You can buy bags of the paper litter from asda or morrisons for about £ 1.99, tescos has a more expensive paper litter at about £5. I think the tesco one is an odour eater as well, handy for house bunnies!!!

Shavings have mied reviews, alot of people use them tho. I think its up to the bunny and the owner. There is alot of help and tips for litter training on here, you'll have to learn and then i'm afraid its trial and error.... Good luck.

I wouldnt use cat litter at all. I use a layer of newspaper onthe bottom of the tray and then straw and hay on top - cos they like to eat when they are going to the toilet. Its best to use natural stuff so if they do eat it you wont have any problems. :D

Hiya

Just a thought but is she Neutered - you'll have a much better chance with the litter training if she is.

I tend to find using a large litter tray helps to - if they can jump in munch away in it for long periods of time then stands a chance they will get used to eating and pooing in the same place.

Hope this helps.

Back