• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit doing toilet in dig box

Baby2017

New Kit
Hi, our young female rabbit loves to dig so we gave her an indoor dig box.
She’s has had it about 3 weeks and he loves it. But today she has pee’d in it. She’s very good with her litter tray and made sure if didn’t use anything in her dig box that is associated with her litter tray.
I did notice she poops in there too but not as much as her tray.
Will I have to take it away from her now? As I don’t want her peeing in there.
How often do you clean out dig box?
I was hoping to renew everything in it once a month but I’m wondering if I don’t clean the poops out quick enough then she’ll think it’s a toilet

Yeah, my bunnies do this, too. ;) I don't think there's much you can do about it, unfortunately. I use a litter tray scoop for kitties to get the poops out of the digging box, but that doesn't work for pee, of course... What do you use in your digging box? You could try putting something else in it. Like, if you're using sand now, try soil instead, or the other way around, or try paper (if she doesn't eat it), or something else. Maybe she won't want to pee in something else.

In the dig box is shredded paper, hay, torn up brown packaging paper and some other random things like toilet tubes, scratch mat and twig toys. I did have a cat scratch mat in there but I don’t think she was bothered with it plus I noticed some pee marks in it, so I’ve binned it.

It’s not very easy to clean out regularly.

Ah, yeah, I can see how that's hard to clean! I guess you'll have to weigh the pros and cons. Is she enjoying her digging box so much that it's worth keeping it the way it is now, even though that means cleaning it regularly, which is difficult, or would she appreciate something easier to clean just as much, like having sand to dig in instead.

At the risk of sounding like a bad bunny mum - I’m not to keen on giving her sand or soil in her indoor dig box. She jumps on the couch and the small table and has the run of the extension/ family room area so it would just get everywhere.
I guess it’s trial and error. I’ll need to put my thinking cap on. I want to give her a dog box but needs to be easily cleaned out and not expensive

Aw, you're not a bad bunny mum; I know sand and soil are messy, too, especially indoors! I hope you can find something that works for both your bunny and you. :) It's a shame that bunnies so often ruin nice things by peeing on them. :lol:

Back