• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits with guinea pigs?

shibby69

Warren Scout
is it okay for them to be together? i had eric the pig and spot the bun together when i was a kid but i heard this is wrong? can someone help?

Hiya The RSPCA advise against keeping buns and piggies together. Pets shops don't give out the right messages when they house them together. Rabbbits can stress, harm or even kill giunea pigs, one kick from those huge rabbit feet doesn't bare thinking about.

I personally have both but would never keep them together they are better off with their own kind.

Though I must point out there are a few memebers of this forum that do have them living together quite happily.

But My advice would be no don't keep them together.

Hope this helps Im sure there will be others along in a while to offer their advice :D

I do keep mine together, but I wouldn't advise anyone else to do it. Mine are in a permanent run, which is 9'x6' and have lots of room. The bunnies will sit on top of the hutches, and the piggies in their nesting boxes if they want to stay out of the way. I must say that quite often, they all sit sunbathing together, and there are a fair few tussles over the best leaf of greens - the piggies usually win :shock: :lol:
However, I think generally they're better off separate.

ARC have taken in this year 3 guinea pigs who have had broken limbs as a result of being accidently kicked by a rabbit when they were frightened, as a rescue we reguarly hear about a rabbit who has seemingly lived happily for many years with a piggie, however following some unexpected event injury has occured to either the piggie or the rabbit.

Someone on here has previoulsy mentioned that there rabbit had its eye eaten by a couple of piggies, therefore this combination is certainly not recommend.

Janice

I've heard of people whose rabbits and pigs live together happily but again also a lot of stories about when it goes wrong.

All the advice I've heard is that, if you're going to do it, there needs to be a hidey hole for the pig that the rabbit can't get into if it wants to get away - of course this is no use to the rabbit if it wants to get away from the pig!

Apart from the injury risk, rabbits and pigs need different diets as pigs need vitamin c and rabbits don't. Unless you keep them seperate at feeding times you have no way of knowing if they're each getting the right food or eating all the bits they're not meant to and leaving the stuff that's good for them!

I've been having a bit of a ding-dong with someone over on the BBC pets message board about this issue (it's in a thread called "a pet rabbit" down the bottom of page 1 at the moment). I'm afraid I lost my temper a bit so if any of you fancies going over and doing a bit of damage limitation, that may help :wink: :oops:

I have just registered on the BBC forum, and just done the activation bit, however it still won't let me reply, I will try a again a little later.

Janice

Thanks Janice, I'm sure you can see why I lost my rag :oops: BBC registration is a bit hit and miss sometimes, it may let you do it again later.

I certainly can see what the problem is, someone is not listening or prepared to see other people's view points and see anyone who is offering advice as a know-all.

Janice

i had a rabbit and guinea pig together for five years. the guinea pig died earlier this year from old age. they were together in the same cage at the pet shop and they were never apart. the rabbit accadently got pregnant at the begining of the year(little brothers fought). the bunny didnt mined the guinea pig in with the babies(i think she thought that he was one of her babies, she always used to clean him and let him sit on her head). the bunny is now living with one of her babies.

i think that they can de kept togther, but u need to be very careful. it would be best to buy them young and keep an eye on them. 8)

hi

Isn't there a disease that guins can give to bunnies, or the other way around? Can't remember where I saw it on this forum a while back?

hi

Found it now - Tyzzers disease - it's not a guinea pig disease - just a general disease that all small animals can get, including gps and rabbits - so no panic unless you have a sick animal.

Back