• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

settling in

Michelle

Warren Scout
hi im getting a rabbit in a few days time, i was wondering what to do when i first get him. shall i just leave him alone for a few days or shall i just occaisonally sit by the hutch so he can get used 2 me??

thanks

let him settle in for the first day and talk to him gently from outside the cage . Do try and offer him some food .. i.e a bit carrot etc and gently speak to him through the cage . The next day you may find that he/she will come to you through the bars and then try to gently stroke him/her . Don,t worry if he recoils as this is normal and may take a few days . You will probably find that without you even realising it that it will not take long for you to be trusted but the most important thing to do is spend time , time and more time with them so they get used to you .

hi

I've had the girls a fortnight now and they can't have been handled much - they were terrified of me at first but now know that I am the bringer of food :D They don't flee in total panic any more - but whether they will ever LIKE being near me, I don't know - The 2 boys I adopted before (Benny lost his brother recently :( ) took about 3 months to totally relax with me - During that time I just talked to them quietly ALL the time I was with them (neighbours think you are mad but it's less scary than someone silently moving around them) - and didn't make any sudden moves or try to pick them up - I didn't need to pick them up thankfully as that is very frightening to them, but if you need to move your rabbit to a run for exercise you can put a bit of food in a cat carrier and let it hop into that until it trusts you more. If it's just going to run in the garden for exercise (they sleep midday to afternoon but like a run out morning and evening) then you can use food to get it back into the carrier or hutch - better than chasing it around and frightening it more.

Wonder if I'll ever be able to pick my girls up? :roll:

i wa able t pick chico up within two weeks but after about 4 days he started to trust me . Cheeky freaked out the first day I had him and tried to climb under the washing machine !! :shock: , there was only an inch gap tho :lol: , after about two days tho he would come to me and I was able to hold him without a scramble about then too. I would lie on the floor with cheeky for hours singing little made up bunny songs to him , he must have thought i,d flipped my lid and thought , ok i,ll humour her - she,s abit deranged !! .

Back