• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lambchops behavior

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
Hi all, I know its been a while since I have posted. Losing Lacey really upset me. On a positive note the treatment with the other bunnies has worked very well and all my other bunnies have been doing very well.

Lampchop is still biting me, he seems very frustrated. He will run up to me and bite when ever he gets the opportunity but there will be some days I can pet him. He seems to be digging a lot telling me he is not happy about something? He digs in frustration?

I was just wondering what this behavior is?

What is the set up regarding where LC lives in relation to your other Rabbits ? How much space does he have access to 24/7 ?

Do you handle any other Rabbits before going into LC’s environment/try to touch him? If you smell of other Rabbits this could upset him as he will react to what he smells over what/who he sees. A hand with the scent of other Rabbits on approaching a Rabbit in their own space is often mistaken for an intruding Rabbit rather than a hand. Rabbits have poor near vision, which adds to the confusion for them.

Do your Rabbits still meet up for occasional ‘dates’ and then get separated again?

What medications have they all been on, you mentioned that ‘the treatment of all the other bunnies has worked’ Exactly what was this treatment and what was it for? Health issues and/or side effects of medication can affect behaviour.

Are there any new Rabbits or other animals that could be upsetting LC

Giving a more detailed description of the situation will help us make some suggestions about why LC is behaving as he is and what you could try to do to help.

Does he have plenty of space (see the rwaf for minimum recommended, I'm not sure what it is these days!), and plenty of enrichment? Including somewhere to dig, hide, chew? I can't remember is he also bonded now so has a friend?
I had a rabbit who I'd hand reared after she was left at the vet practice I worked at the time, I already had a bonded pair and there was 4 in the litter (1 sadly passed away at 4 weeks) so once they'd had their vaccs I tried to re-home but found it difficult as often when I'd home check people either declined or things didn't turn out to meet the requirements, but I found a great home for 2 and by that point I'd had the female spayed and found I was too attached and couldn't find a home suitable so I kept her. I tried a trio which failed after a while as she was bullying my other female and her behaviour turned quite destructive, after being such a friendly rabbit previously, I separated her again and she became quite difficult, always lunging and biting, loss of litter training. I took her to the vets for tests as was sure she had a medical reason, spay tissue left behind causing the behaviour to be hormonal, but nope all fine. She was housed upstairs on the same floor as the bonded pair and I moved her downstairs as she was in our bedroom but she'd started jumping on the bed to bite us in the night etc, so she became free range in the kitchen/diner and overnight her behaviour went back to being friendly and loved to be around us!! So.long story short I think it was frustration being housed too close to other rabbits, difficult if you're in a flat but are the separated rabbits who aren't bonded together separate enough, ie no sight? Sound and smell cam affect them too, bigwig was separated by 2 doors and a hall but still got upset.

ETA: I find pet remedy spray works well and can be bought quite cheaply, it's herbal and suggested to be calming I find it does work

He doesn't sound like a happy bunny. As others have suggested, he may need more space, less stress from other rabbits (including their smell on you), maybe a permanent partner, or a combination of all of these. He's definitely trying to tell you that something isn't right.

Has he been seen by a vet to rule out any health issues? It does sound more like a general behavioural/unhappiness issue but it is worth checking there's nothing else going on for him. If he doesn't have the right space/is stressed by the presence of your other rabbits you may jave to make a difficult decision about what is in his best interests as he doesn't sound like a happy bunny at the moment.

You have not mentioned Lamb Chop in your update about the bunnies. Is he any happier now?

Back