• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter training?

shannon_c

New Kit
can you litter train a 10 month old rabbit and a 7 month old ginea pig. im making them a house in the shed but i would like to litter train them so they will only go in the tray .is this possible?

unless anyone knows different i dought very much that u could litter train a g/pig, they go anywere . Never known one to pick one place. The rabbit u should have no problems wiyh. val

eek ok ...the gineau pigs the one thay does all the poo's !!!!oh well i can try with the rabbit maybe he'll copy her lol :?

hi

rabbits are quite easy to litter train, but they have different lifestyle habits to guinea pigs - which is a good reason not to keep them together - different food needs, and different way of behaving too - Once your rabbit gets more mature it could seriously injure the guinea pig as it may try and mate with it - Piggies love to live with other piggies - rabbits need somebunny who can stand up to them :)

My sisters rabbit suffocated the guinea pig. Please think about this pairing as the consensus on this site is it isnt a good idea. Maybe you could have 2 buns and 2 gps together separately?

Even if the guinea pig and rabbit get along great, all it takes is one accidental kick from the rabbit to the wrong place on the guinea pig to seriously injure or even kill it. Sadly I've seen this happen before and had to hold the piggy as it died (wasn't my pig or rabbit, but I just wanted to give it a chance and give it some cuddles in it's last few hours :(), and I think moving them into a shed together will make this even more likely as, when given the space, rabbits love to run around madly, binkying and kicking their back legs.

But on topic, I did actually littertrain a guinea pig once! He learnt before my rabbit did, who I was teaching at the same time :roll: I just put it in his cage with a different litter to the rest and he taught himself.

i dont think i could seperate them they've been together since birth as we bought them together and when you seperate them the ginuea pig gets upset as he looks up to the rabbit like his mum becuse shes bigger than him(he likes to cuddle in her fur) so i dunno

The genral thought is don't keep rabbit and Guinea pigs together, as a rabbit can bully a pig and do them some harm or even kill them. However having said that this is a few peole on here that keep them together, just can't remember who it was :roll:

How long have they lived together?

Edited becasue I have just read that they are both under a year old. The trouble is the rabbits hormones will be kicking in big time now and she will no doubt try to mate with the Piggie, this will cause him much distress.

This is the problem with some pets shops they keep these animals together in the shop which gives out the wrong message to people. The RSPCA advise that rabbits and Guinea pigs should not be kept together.

I really dont think they are to old to seperate, is there anyway you could make their new home so they could still see each other but have wire mesging between them?

they've been together since birth because when we got them they lived in a cage together with some other gineua pigs but the rabbit is older

Back