• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - update - they're in love!

Lynsey

Young Bun
We have made loads of progress over the last 2 weeks. It all started with lots of fur-pulling and nervous stand-offs in the greenhouse. After a week I couldn't stand it in there any longer - fur and dust everywhere and it was way too hot!

So we moved to the bathroom (more neutral territory) and things moved on and on Thursday they actually sat next to each other, both trembling slightly. On Friday and Saturday they spent longer sessions together, progressing to the kitchen (not so neutral).

We are all set to have a long session in the kitchen today, they groom themselves next to each other, share food and push their noses up against each other but can only manage this for a couple of seconds.

The question is what now? I am back at work tomorrow and not able to supervise a long session again until Friday. I am worried putting them in Phoenix's hutch could be moving too fast or should I just get on with it? But what if I am not here? Or should I just do short sessions in the evening and wait till next Friday? Is there anything else I should be doing?

I was reading the other bonding thread (Lanny's?) and can certainly agree it is very stressful for owners, but am amazed at how far we have come in a short space of time. :)

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lynsey

i personally would not rush things as you dont sound sure that you know how they would behave, so i would do the short sessions until friday but make sure if poss that they can see each other when apart!

godd luck eve x

hi

I think somebunny could get seriously hurt if you force them to share a hutch at this stage - have you tried putting them in seperate cat carriers, taking them for a short drive then putting them both in the same carrier (by which time fear of the car should have subdued them) - and then take them for a long drive together?

There is also a problem I believe (don't know cos I've never done bonding :D ) with changing the place they meet too often - because they have to decide who's dominant, and a new place (or even just a redecorating session) usually triggers another 'who's the boss' session...

I'm thinking of getting my remaining boy a new friend now his brother died, so I'm dreading all this bonding malarky too :shock:

Thanks for your tips. I tried hard to follow your advice and kept them in separate hutches overnight on Sunday. Things actually moved on so quickly though and they were getting on so well that they did go to Phoenix's hutch for a "date" on Sunday evening. On Monday we couldn't wait any longer and they spent their first night together. They both looked very happy, the only thing is while Phoenix always leaves his hutch nice and tidy, Hermione has been busy ripping up newspaper, rearranging everything and emptying the litter tray! :shock:

As far as Phoenix is concerned, love is blind and he would forgive her anything :lol:

We are so pleased for them and could not have done it without this forum so thanks guys!

Lynsey

awwww thats great news, i might be gettng millie a boyfriend soon and am also dreading bonding- i dont want my bunnies hurt :cry:

so pleased for your two, are they together permenatly now???
amyx

They are unless there are any further hiccups, but I think that's all behind us now. Getting Hermione spayed was the first major step and then it was just gradual introductions and building up Phoenix's confidence.

I am so pleased because they can be together when they go to rabbit boarding in August.

Lynsey

hi

:D Oh that's wonderful - I'm really pleased it worked out so quickly as it sounds very stressful - I've got 5 girls coming today to bond with my remaining boy - eeeeeeeek :shock:

And after all my advice about taking it slowly - unless they hate each other they will be sleeping together from their first date....fingers crossed...

Back