• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eating well but no poos!

nicolar

Mama Doe
Hi

Princess is eating well and is her normal lively self but she hasn't pooed since yesterday now!! She went out for an hour last night in the garden, so I'm not sure if she went then but she def hasn't been all night.

I will take her to the vets this afternoon if no poos in the next half hour or so, I would have given her til this evening normally but I'm off to watch a badger sett this evening as part of one of my assignments for college! So I don't want to leave it as wouldn't be able to get to the vets til tomorrow if I waited longer.

Has anybody else experienced this before? She is eating really well and doesn't look ill at all, just nothing apart from a couple of wees coming out the other end!!! :?

Nicola

Hi Nicola, Is Princess moulting just now? If so possibly a bit of a fur block. Think the prepulsid alternative should get her going again especially if she is still eating. I've found Kittymalt as recommended by Adele most helpful during moults and even when theres a bit of a blockage especially with little Sooty (bridge bunny) he seemed quite prone to slowed down guts and the kittymalt seemed to get it going again.
Hope she starts pooping soon.

Angela

sound advice from Angela there :D let us know how you get on at the vets :wink: Hope Princess starts to poo soon :wink: :D

What a good thought Angela, than you very much!! I didn't even think of that - funny how you are never quite sure when it is your own bun!!

Yep she is moulting quite heavily at the mo, I brush her regularly but still lots of hair everywhere!! I will suggest that to the vet, as she is still eating and is running round the living room at the mo, very lively!! We are off to the vets in half hour so I will update when we get back :)

Thanks for your kind thoughts Denny and Angela :D I will def be investing in some Kittymalt, especially if the vet thinks that could be the cause as well.

Thanks again.

Nicola

Just got back from the vets and apart from the no-pooing, Princess is fine! She wasn't 100% sure what it was but gave her an injection of Metaclopromide to get her guts going again!! Fingers crossed it works otherwise she will have to have more investigation i.e. X-Rays. She doesn't look too happy at the mo - sulking in her bed!!

Nicola

Yep everything tightly crossed!! At least she hasn't stopped eating so that is one less thing to worry about!

Nicola

Hope the injection works, it can take a while though can't it? Thats the worst part, your thinking right you've had the injection so wheres the poopies hmmmm???? :lol:

I know what you mean about not thinking when it comes to your own. Im exactly the same, I never think to look at rab refs I just go into a blind panic.
Im sure Princess will stop sulking soon, well I hope she does!

Angela

Awww poor Gal! - sorry to hear about you little Bunster but hopefully the injection will do its work and you'll be up to your knees in poo again in no time :wink:

Same thing has happened to Poppy, shes started eating again, but not sure if she is going to the toilet. Keeping an eye on her, where do you get kittymalt from??

Yippeeee we have poo :) 26 to be exact! :lol: I came home from badger watching (no badgers to be seen - they were sensible and didn't want to come out in the rain!) and went up there about half hour ago and she had been :)

When I got back from the vets it was almost as if I expected instant results, when it hadn't worked within the hour I was most upset!!lol But these things do take time, I just hope we don't have a relapse! I don't know what caused it as nothing changed in her routine or her environment - just one of those things I guess.

Thanks for all your good wishes :D

Nicola

Hi Nicola.

Are you sure it was 26 :lol: :lol: :lol: Do you think you might have missed a few!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a relief, you can have a good nights sleep now

Maureen:lol: :lol: :lol:

nicolar said:
Yippeeee we have poo :) 26 to be exact!

Okkkkkaaaaayyyyyy lol you had fun then :lol:

When I got back from the vets it was almost as if I expected instant results, when it hadn't worked within the hour I was most upset!!lol But these things do take time, I just hope we don't have a relapse! I don't know what caused it as nothing changed in her routine or her environment - just one of those things I guess.

Thanks for all your good wishes :D

Nicola[/quote]

Its a nightmare waiting for the poops to start coming, I was like you expecting them straight away!

Kerri C-you can get Kittymalt from Pets at Home and probably other good pet shops or you'll find it online no doubt. Always use the Malt/Original Flavour though, as its meant for cats you can get rabbit flavour too, don't think that'd go down too well with bunnies though.

Angela
Angela

Good luck with trying to give them kittymalt - I've failed miserably :oops: tried to put it on Tottis' paws for him to lick off but just ended up with sticky gunk all over his fur which drove him mad (temporarily) :oops: :oops:

Maureen - yep def 26!!! Wanted to make sure she had done some by this morning as well, which she has :)

Yep knee deep soon, no more going 3 days without needing a litter tray change!

I'm going to invest in some of that Kittymalt, just in case of a reoccurence!

Nicola

luvabun said:
Good luck with trying to give them kittymalt - I've failed miserably :oops: tried to put it on Tottis' paws for him to lick off but just ended up with sticky gunk all over his fur which drove him mad (temporarily) :oops: :oops:

Hehehehe yeah ive had fun getting it into Simba.. I trying putting it in his mouth from my finger and ended up with it down my trousers/jumper and all stuck in his fluff. Next time i tried putting it on his paw but he flicked it about and it still ended up everywhere! now i have found u can just about get it drawn into a syringe and squirt it in that way. He tries to escape as soon as he smells it!! wish they made carrot or hay flavour :lol:

Back