• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help: My "spayed" rabbit gave birth!

SDlaura

Young Bun
My male rabbit is coming upto 2 years old.

In August I bought a female rabbit for him to be friends with, but she passed away within a couple weeks of buying her.

Then in late January there are an offer of two female rabbits free to good home with hutch and both of them spayed.

I kept the two females in their hutch, and the male in his. But let them play together in my room.

For the last couple of weeks my two females were fighitng, so I moved one in with the male and kept one on her own. They were ripping each others fur out.

This morning I was suppose to be moving the hutches downstairs, but went to clean them out. There was fur all in the female hutch, and I was disgusted about the amount of it. I picked it up and to my surprise there was baby rabbits!

She's gave birth to at least 6, but one was dead.

I suspect the female living with the male is also pregnant. As she's getting a little fat.

I have no clue what to do as this wasn't planned and the thought never crossed my mind.

Please help!

I've breed hamsters in the past, but never rabbits!

did you not check they were spayed when you got them?

i suppose there is not much you can do now really only split both feamles from the male, as she can get pregnant again within 4 hours of giving birth!!

and do not put them back together until you have had them both spayed and recovered, and will they are looking after there young get him to the vets to be neutered, and you cant reintroduce them to him until 6 weeks after his op!!!!

Thanks for the advice!

We're getting him done later today! So he can't play daddy anymore!

What do I do with the babies etc?

I'm totally new to baby rabbits!

how old are they?

as she made a nest

just let mum do he business, she should only feed them once a day when its safe to normally at night!!! she will not sit with them, she is a prey animal she wont!

just make sure she has plenty of bedding to keep them warm! are they in doors rabbits, if so make the beeding available but let her make the nest if poss. in case you make them to hot!

dont touch them and if you do need too, make sure you rub your hands on her first to get her sent or better still rub your hands in her litter tray and that she is busy eating veg fre example and not watching you.

feed her and the other poss pregnant doe ab lib until the kits are about 8/9 weeks old.

if you need anymore info let me know or ask betty who had a litter and her bunnies are house buns she may be how to help you more as mine where outdoor buns.

oh forgot to say, they will stay in their nest until about 3 weeks, they open there eyes around 10 days old, and they are fully weaned around 8 weeks old.

The females are about 10-12 months old possibly. They were fully grown when I got them.

The one who has give birth has made a nest.

The other female hasn't.

They are indoor rabbits.

So the female doesn't sit with her babies until feeding?

Do I let the female (who gave birth) play out and exercise in my room?

SDlaura said:
The females are about 10-12 months old possibly. They were fully grown when I got them.

The one who has give birth has made a nest.

The other female hasn't.

They are indoor rabbits.

So the female doesn't sit with her babies until feeding?

Do I let the female (who gave birth) play out and exercise in my room?

sorry i mean thow old are the kits?
making a nest is a good sign!
the other female will probably make a nest a nest hours before she is due!

the female will not sit with her babies like of animals, she is a prey animal so she doesnt sit with so she doesnt not draw attention to them.

i would not let here play outside for a while she needs to be near her young and always have access.... but you can let her play close to where her hutch and nest is...

What a shock that must have been for you especially as you were told they were spayed and to be honest, if I'd been told that, I would probably have believed it as well. You've come to the right place for advice - good luck.

Oh I presume she gave birth last night, because there was a lot of squeeking last night. But it could of been Saturday or Sunday because I've been busy over the weekend and didn't check her sleeping area because I didn't know she was pregnant lol.

The other female is now making a nest. And we've seperated her and the male.

I'm a little worried because I read that most females don't raise their first litters.

aaawww what a shock for you!
Where did you get the two females from? Glad you have sent the boy off to be neutered. I hope your new babies are ok. I have never bred rabbits so dont know that much about it other what i have read. Bunnylove has already given you good advice.
Yes some rabbits dont raise their first litters but many do too. Good luck.
Ask away if u need more help.. there are plenty of people on here who know what to do.

Hi, please dont worry to much.. if u were told they were spayed then i doubt many people would have thought differently to you.

My rabbit gave birth in Jan and i was totally new to it but its much easier than i expected as the mum pretty much does everything, just leave her to it as long as she has food n water n plenty of hay.

As to most mum's dont raise their first litter, im sure it'll be fine as its their instinct, i never had any probs with our first litter just be careful about touching them cos of ur scent, it may freak out the mum n she may become threatened which isnt good.

Do u have any plans about what ur gonna do with them?

I think the 2nd female rabbit is preparing to give birth

She's making a nest and pulling out her fur, which everybody cringed at.

Also just witnessed one of my hamsters giving birth.

So it's baby day at my house!

Have no idea what we're going to do. I've been reading articles all morning, and still unsure.

We got the two females from a man, they were advertised as being spayed and free to good home. That's why I never really questioned it, just presumed since it was advertised.

SDlaura said:
Oh I presume she gave birth last night, because there was a lot of squeeking last night. But it could of been Saturday or Sunday because I've been busy over the weekend and didn't check her sleeping area because I didn't know she was pregnant lol.

The other female is now making a nest. And we've seperated her and the male.

I'm a little worried because I read that most females don't raise their first litters.

if they make a nest you have a better chance of her looking after them, but yes first time mothers use their first litter as a test run, because there are not to sure what the should be doing, but mine had 6 on her first litter and they all survived with no problems she was one hell of a mother!!!

I've had 2 does have litters and the scent of your hands shouldn't make any difference to whether she cares for them at all. If your does are used to your smell they won't fear you.
Max has just had her first litter and we handled the kits from birth (30 mins after to be exact LOL). You have to to make sure they are all in perfect health (though they are wiggly so make sure you're on the ground or have a surface under your hands). The kits don't have any scent. The smell of the doe would attract predators to the nest so that is why she stays away from it until feeding.
Rosie made her nest the day before her kits were born and Max made hers on Christmas Eve but didn't have the kits until 2nd January. It varies from rabbit to rabbit.
Make sure all your kits have big fat warm bellies, as if they don't, this is an indication that the doe isn't feeding them... or if it's an individual, there may be a problem with the kit.
When you clean out the nest, keep the clean fur from the doe and put it back in with the hay.
Do you have a nest box at all? Some people say it is better to have one as it stops the kits falling out and getting cold. We had one with Max's litter but didn't with Rosie's two litters.
Anyways, good luck with them all! I hope you can find homes for them! We'd love to see pictures! :D
Ang xx
P.S. Don't let the buck anywhere near the kits!

SDlaura said:
I think the 2nd female rabbit is preparing to give birth

She's making a nest and pulling out her fur, which everybody cringed at.

Also just witnessed one of my hamsters giving birth.

So it's baby day at my house!

Have no idea what we're going to do. I've been reading articles all morning, and still unsure.

We got the two females from a man, they were advertised as being spayed and free to good home. That's why I never really questioned it, just presumed since it was advertised.

keep us informed of the progress and i/we will help you all the way!!!

how many did your first litter have? are they all ok?

Oh Dear - what a shock for you and "double Trouble" too with both your bunnies perhaps giving birth.

There is some good advice on here already and I'm not experienced in Baby Bunsters but I hope you manage to find loving homes for them.

How irresponsible was it of the folks who gave you these bunsters to tell you they were Spayed when they clearly were not (presuming they knew?? of course)

Stupid question? - can a Vet tell you if a female has been spayed as I guess once the fur has grown back there is no easy way of knowing????

Unless you could feel a ridge when the incision was made, I think you'd probably need to shave the tum for a looksee.

At least with a boy you can have a poke about. It's incredibly irresponsible to lie about the spaying of a female.

bunnytales said:
Stupid question? - can a Vet tell you if a female has been spayed as I guess once the fur has grown back there is no easy way of knowing????

It's really hard to tell, a lot of rabbits heal up completely scar-free! You could ultrasound for a uterus, but...hmmmm. All-in-all I think it's a pretty difficult task!

bunnytales said:
Oh Dear - what a shock for you and "double Trouble" too with both your bunnies perhaps giving birth.

There is some good advice on here already and I'm not experienced in Baby Bunsters but I hope you manage to find loving homes for them.

How irresponsible was it of the folks who gave you these bunsters to tell you they were Spayed when they clearly were not (presuming they knew?? of course)

a good vet could tell!!!!

Back