• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alfred bunny at emergency hospital.

Well here we go bun friends. Vet just rung - I get really nervous when they ring unannounced. I was gunna ring them anyway cause I’m chewing what’s left of my nails to bits and my mh isn’t great.
Anyhoo, the vet was remarkably upbeat despite the fact I was expecting the worse.
The vet is delighted with alfreds progress this morning. He’s chucking out tons of poop and also having a bit of a munch too. His stomach has come down dramatically (I feel so awful for not noticing this) and the vet is happy to discharge Alfred tonight. They wish to continue to give him pain meds this afternoon plus gut meds to just keep on top of the situation but from the sounds of it alfred is certainly on the right side of where we want him to be and the vets have all done an amazing job working so hard to get Alfred better so quickly. We have been asked to go and get him at 6pm.
I will update you all after then. Thank you all again from the bottom of my heart for all your kind words.
I’m off to find some tissues for my leaky eyes.
Craig Xx

I am so pleased Alfred is improving. It must have been so worrying for you. I found a biggish hole in an underbed storage box which Rupert and Poppy use for a litter tray and couldn't find any trace of it but fortunately they don't seem any worse for wear. I hope Alfred is soon back to normal.x

So there we are. He’s obviously munched something he shouldn’t have. I’ve got to now go through the bunny area and remove any suspects. Someone had been chewing the vet bed that they lie on, someone had been recently eating the newspaper I use to line the litter area and he might have been eating some cardboard from the boxes they play in outside.

In my (unfortunately rather extensive) experience of blockages in rabbits' intestines, the culprit has always, when confirmed, been a hard faecal pellet. Doesn't matter how nice a diet you give them, for some reason they eat their poops. ... they go through the stomach not getting broken down and get lodged in the intestines. it's worth looking for culprits but don't beat yourself up about the possibles as it's likely to be something you can't control ... without following them round picking up poops for the rest of your days.

I am glad he made an improvement. It sounds like you saved his life.
Sending vibes he continues to improve and can be reunited with Flo later today.

7pm update. Well, Alfred is home. He is sitting quietly in the kitchen diner area where he often chooses to sit but he looks so knackered. The vet was happy with his improvement and said he had been eating a bit but looking at him now you wouldn’t think it. Jan thinks he’s just absolutely shattered- he loves his sleep and his routine in the last 24 hours has been torn to bits. He clearly had an extremely touch and go night last night - his little soul being resistant to the stasis and in an unfamiliar place, he would feel isolated and scared as well as feeling very poorly. I certainly wouldn’t say he is back to how we know him but hopefully the familiar surroundings here will assure him that he is safe and not alone. Flo hasn’t been too cosy with him and she’s out on the lawn now. It is so incredibly hot here and I have the fan blowing air round Alfreds area.
We have to give him metacam and emipred? For the next few days.
He’s not eaten but I won’t force him to eat.
I will sleep downstairs again tonight with the bunnies - I will let them have free roam of the living room but I suspect Alfred will just sleep or lay relaxing.
I’ll update you all in the morning and if he shows any signs of not improving or deteriorating then I’ll be straight back to the vets no matter what time it is.
Thank you all again
Craig xx

7pm update. Well, Alfred is home. He is sitting quietly in the kitchen diner area where he often chooses to sit but he looks so knackered. The vet was happy with his improvement and said he had been eating a bit but looking at him now you wouldn’t think it. Jan thinks he’s just absolutely shattered- he loves his sleep and his routine in the last 24 hours has been torn to bits. He clearly had an extremely touch and go night last night - his little soul being resistant to the stasis and in an unfamiliar place, he would feel isolated and scared as well as feeling very poorly. I certainly wouldn’t say he is back to how we know him but hopefully the familiar surroundings here will assure him that he is safe and not alone. Flo hasn’t been too cosy with him and she’s out on the lawn now. It is so incredibly hot here and I have the fan blowing air round Alfreds area.
We have to give him metacam and emipred? For the next few days.
He’s not eaten but I won’t force him to eat.
I will sleep downstairs again tonight with the bunnies - I will let them have free roam of the living room but I suspect Alfred will just sleep or lay relaxing.
I’ll update you all in the morning and if he shows any signs of not improving or deteriorating then I’ll be straight back to the vets no matter what time it is.
Thank you all again
Craig xx

Has he had Buprenorphine today ? If so that would make him very drowsy. Hope that he will eat and poop a little overnight.

Sorry Jane, I have no idea if he has had bupremorphne . I will ring the vets and find out and update.
Thank you so much
Craigxx

He's probably just knackered bless him, don't suppose he's slept much. Hope you all get a better night tonight Craig xx

I’m really not sure about things. I don’t know if it’s my lack of experience or my over reaction/sensitivity.
Alfred went out into the garden for an hour or so. I brought him in 20 mins ago. He just lay amongst some triffids. He has zero energy. I picked him up - he never liked being picked up. There were some fresh poops on his bum and he’d left some on the way out by the kitchen door. They were wetter than the dry ones he passed but not sloppy.
I’ve put some eprimed in him and a syringe of water and tried to get some critical care in but to be honest I’m wearing more than Alfred took. I sat on the sofa just hugging him gently - his tummy making plenty of gurgling noises.
He’s not really showing much of any appetite but reading about stasis it seems this can be symptomatic. His tummy probably hurts but he is passing poop and his tummy feels soft. He presents as depressed - probably the best I can describe it. Maybe he is just very worn out. I thought we had caught this episode quickly but I am worrying myself sick after previous bunnies and the way we have lost them.
I’m going to try and doze for a bit cause I’m running on empty now. I will monitor him during the night and if there’s no improvement then I’ll go to the hospital.
Craig xx

Back