Thread: Pellets and rabbits

Default Pellets and rabbits

Why are rabbits so excited about pellets? So I am really amazed when I see this view. Every time he acts like he's never had a pellet before. What's the magic of these pellets on rabbits?

Wise Old Thumper

I think they get excited about most food coming their way. It's a very healthy sign!

I'm always surprised when people who knew anything about rabbits always said about Lopsy and Aboleth 'they're very excited about pellets, aren't they!' because it seemed so normal to me! Maybe they were an exception Chibbs and even Barrie are a bit more standoffish about them (and food generally), although Barrie gets excited about food but then sulks off if it's not something he wants. Aboleth and Lopsy, and Cookie judging by your description, totally head-over-heels for pellets especially
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her/any.

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    I think they get excited about most food coming their way. It's a very healthy sign!
    Yes, they really get really excited about any kind of food, right?

Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    I'm always surprised when people who knew anything about rabbits always said about Lopsy and Aboleth 'they're very excited about pellets, aren't they!' because it seemed so normal to me! Maybe they were an exception Chibbs and even Barrie are a bit more standoffish about them (and food generally), although Barrie gets excited about food but then sulks off if it's not something he wants. Aboleth and Lopsy, and Cookie judging by your description, totally head-over-heels for pellets especially
    I'm not as experienced with rabbits as you all, but Lopsy and Aboleth surprised me. I thought rabbits were the most voracious creatures I've ever seen, because their only motivation for life is to eat.

Only Boo still gets excited about pellets here

I'm exactly the same with chocolate......and crisps.....and chips.......and oranges.......and hot cross buns.
    My two also go utterly bonkers for pellets - rationed of course. It causes much nose pushing and a general stampede when I go and get a small handful. Tonight their snuffle mat arrived so I've loaded that up with thin slices of carrot, pellets, crushed dried treats, cranberries and bluberries.
    To use a famous song title.....I predict a riot.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Only Boo still gets excited about pellets here
    In fact, this shows us that rabbits have different tastes from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig 1965 View Post
    I'm exactly the same with chocolate......and crisps.....and chips.......and oranges.......and hot cross buns.
    My two also go utterly bonkers for pellets - rationed of course. It causes much nose pushing and a general stampede when I go and get a small handful. Tonight their snuffle mat arrived so I've loaded that up with thin slices of carrot, pellets, crushed dried treats, cranberries and bluberries.
    Haha I understand you very well. Although Cookie is the only kept rabbit , we experience the stampede in pellet or meal moments.

Alpha Buck

I suspect it's that junk food element - they are designed to be delicious, similar to a lot of foods the manufacturers want us to keep buying. Cat food is notorious for it.
    My two aren't too bothered, but they also don't get them very often as they're generally forage fed. Some days they'll take them, others they'll go back to what they were eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig 1965 View Post
    OMG hot cross buns, IKWYM. Now I'm not really supposed to eat flour I won't buy them but I did go through stages (years) of buying them and having them for lunch (one with butter and cheese, one just butter). I hope they like their mat! I couldn't do this sort of thing (food hunt) with Aboleth and Lopsy, Aboleth would think she was missing out and just hump Lopsy until he ran away I might try again with Barrie and Chibbs though
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her/any.

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.