• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can I have vibes for Fudgie too now please

Hi all

Fudgie is currently staying in at the vet hospital. I've been out for most of the day. When I left at 10 this morning she was perfectly fine, running around and eating and pooing.

I came back around 4 and I could see straight away she wasn't right. She didn't react to me coming and was showing obvious signs of abdominal discomfort.

I took her straight to the vet. She was triaged but it took a while to speak to the vet. Things aren't looking great. Her tummy is obviously very painful and she had no gut sounds. More worryingly, her blood glucose was 18.

They're keeping her in overnight and will give pain relief and fluids. They will keep monitoring her blood glucose and they will do an x ray during the night if it doesn't start to go down. Her temperature was also quite low so she's in the incubator.

I have to say I'm really really worried about her as there is a possibility she has a blockage. I know they're doing all the right things so it's a question now of waiting to see if she responds to treatment.

Again, any spare vibes would be very much appreciated.

Oh gosh, I'm sorry :( Sending loads of vibes for Fudgie and I really hope she improves.

Oh Poor Fudgie :( I really hope she responds to treatment quickly. A million vibes for all of you xx

Thanks all.

They've told me they'll give a call tonight if she does need an x ray or if her condition starts to deteriorate. Otherwise no news is good news. I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight as I'll be constantly expecting my phone to go off.

It's my birthday today so it's not really a great end to it 😔

Really sorry to hear this, I hope you get better news in the morning. A million vibes for Fudgie xxx

Oh, no, I'm so sorry Fudgie is so unwell. :( I'm glad you could get her to a vet straight away. I hope you've had some good news by now and that she's feeling better this morning. Sending so, so many vibes for her.

Hi all

Thanks so much again everyone for the vibes and well wishes.

I've just had an update from the vet nurse. Good news is that her blood glucose has come down to 8. She has passed some poos and has nibbled a bit of dry food. She is also apparently a lot brighter this morning and has been kicking around her enclosure.

Apparently they're having issues with syringe feeding her as she's being quite feisty and uncooperative with the syringe. I asked the nurse to pass on to the ward my tips on getting her to be more cooperative so hopefully they'll have a bit more success.

The vet will call me again a bit later with an update. One thing the nurse mentioned is whether I want to go ahead with an x ray. It's more to double check that there isn't a blockage. My inclination is that it's probably not necessary if her blood glucose has come down and she is starting to eat a bit for herself and pass poos. I've said to hold off for now and just monitor, unless things change. I'd be really grateful on anyone's thoughts on what they would do in this situation. Cost isn't an issue as she's insured. The issue for me is more about sedating her while she's poorly.

Hi all

Thanks so much again everyone for the vibes and well wishes.

I've just had an update from the vet nurse. Good news is that her blood glucose has come down to 8. She has passed some poos and has nibbled a bit of dry food. She is also apparently a lot brighter this morning and has been kicking around her enclosure.

Apparently they're having issues with syringe feeding her as she's being quite feisty and uncooperative with the syringe. I asked the nurse to pass on to the ward my tips on getting her to be more cooperative so hopefully they'll have a bit more success.

The vet will call me again a bit later with an update. One thing the nurse mentioned is whether I want to go ahead with an x ray. It's more to double check that there isn't a blockage. My inclination is that it's probably not necessary if her blood glucose has come down and she is starting to eat a bit for herself and pass poos. I've said to hold off for now and just monitor, unless things change. I'd be really grateful on anyone's thoughts on what they would do in this situation. Cost isn't an issue as she's insured. The issue for me is more about sedating her while she's poorly.

Personally I would not want to proceed with an X-ray given that she is improving.

So pleased to hear about improvement :) I wouldn't go ahead as sedation is an added risk in already-unwell bunnies, but I agree that 'watch and wait' is good. I'd doubtless have done exactly the same as you did :) Best wishes for Fudgie being back to normal soon :)

Really good news that her level has come down, and she's eating and pooping. Sending lots more vibes for your girlie xx

Back