• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mouse's fur

As my printer wasn't working (again) last night I couldn't print off my essay to decided to free style as my handwriting is atrocious & Ruth knows her well. So the carpark handover i only got to say what she's eating owing to her sensitive tum, my concerns about her fur.

So reports back were her teeth are looking good (yay for grass). No ideas for weight gain as on best possible diet for a bun. Actually weighed in 100g more than last review. Nails ok. No matts! I said no matts? & she said not compared to the old cats & dogs she see's

Mousey coped beautifully travelling on my lap (to wonky for carrier & winding roads). Neither Mouse nor I peed ourselves over the 3 hours.

So good I guess but I wanted rabbity chat with rabbity vet. She got her honey drugs

I can understand why you would have been disappointed that it wasn’t as planned. I’m glad she’s doing well though :love:

Glad neither of you peed yourself!:lol: Sorry about your printer not allowing your essay. My last vet visit resulted in my filling an entire page single spaced, yet it may have been more confusing than helpful.
Her positive review is a testiment to the wonderful care she receives.

Sorry vet did not have answer regarding her skin/fur.

Whilst I would be disappointed at not seeing your favourite vet, I would also be quite reassured by the review result. Essentially I think it means that Mousey is doing very well on your regime for her, considering her issues.

The fact that there was no peeing from either female is just a bonus, about which Bob was probably very pleased :lol: That's a long journey :(

I'm sorry you didn't get the rabbity chat with the rabbity vet you had hoped for, and couldn't print your essay, and got no advice on how to care for her fur. I'm guessing it'll be a while until her next review, so it must be disappointing that you didn't get to have an in-depth talk about her. I'm very glad her teeth are fine, though, and that she even gained a bit of weight, and that her nails were okay, and her fur not as bad as it could be. Sounds like she's doing as well as she possibly can, which is so wonderful. :love: And I'm glad she coped with the travelling so well, and that nobody peed themself. :lol:

Thanking you all. It was weird to here her described as lot having any mats when that was my main thing for this visit:lol: They are all very near to skin, she doesn't look like a sheep or apparently elderly cat. She is still moulting. She'll be over that (hopefully) by the next time she needs metacam so I can ask Ruth then about skin & coat tabs

another thread just reminded me - its great she hadn't lost weight especially because she is nugget free. I was topping her up with syringe feeds aat last review too. Poor girl has a bit of an upset tum -I think its 3 hours in the car not eating

Oh bless Mousie, Im so pleased she got a good bill of health, despite not having seen her rabbity vet, and well done both of you for not having a little accident :D hope your girlie's tummy is feeling better, give her a gentle nose rub from me xxxx

Packing for Mouse to go to the vet was like water wipes, loo roll, bedding change, old blanket for the vet surgery, damp flannel, herbage, spare jeans for me...& we didn't need any of it. For 28 years I've arrived at that vets, abandoned my bunnies at reception & headed straight for the loo. Lockdown has required bladder control I never knew I had (actually secret is max one coffee & ideally breakfast)

Boobly was all wobbly on a vet trip when she had EC & I had her on my knee. She did the biggest stinkiest wee that soaked me to my knickers & steamed up the car :lol:That time I had no change of clothes ..never again

Oh bless Mousie, Im so pleased she got a good bill of health, despite not having seen her rabbity vet, and well done both of you for not having a little accident :D hope your girlie's tummy is feeling better, give her a gentle nose rub from me xxxx

:love: certainly will, thank you

Packing for Mouse to go to the vet was like water wipes, loo roll, bedding change, old blanket for the vet surgery, damp flannel, herbage, spare jeans for me...& we didn't need any of it. For 28 years I've arrived at that vets, abandoned my bunnies at reception & headed straight for the loo. Lockdown has required bladder control I never knew I had (actually secret is max one coffee & ideally breakfast)
Totally agree/relate/empathise!

Glad Mouse got a clean bill of elderly health :) I hope her fur issues resolve as much as they can :love:

I put a bin bag under a blanket to keep bunny wee off me-if needed. bin bag can be used to carry wet blanket if bunny wees, or reused later.

Can you not email before you attend - rather than printing and them having to read on the day?

Hope Mousey is feeling better this morning after her trip.

Can you not email before you attend - rather than printing and them having to read on the day?

Hope Mousey is feeling better this morning after her trip.

With the morning receptionist there you'd have to be a lot braver than me to email them anything that wasn't by prior arrangement . I didn't mean it to be a big moan or something needing fixing - was just explaining why on that occassion i had no notes

Mousey got her Metacam at the stand -in appointment about 6 weeks ago, dose wasn't discussed so I'd assumed she'd be staying on 0.35 twice daily. Ordered more this week which arrives by post & she'd been put on med label as 0.24 which was her former dose. Receptionist wasn't very nice - I felt like I'd been making up the 0.35 & then made to feel guilty about the risks of high rates of prescribing when she finally found discussion of the increase in her notes. The suggestion seemed to be give her the 0.24ml as per med label & wait for Ruth to return in 2.5 weeks to discuss.

Finally asserted self & told receptionist I am not reducing my elderly & arthritic bunnies pain meds based on inabilty to read notes & that she will be staying on 0.35ml x 2 - so if that could kindly be placed on her notes, I'm available for vet discussion be that in 2.5 weeks or sooner. Grrrrr.

Mousey got her Metacam at the stand -in appointment about 6 weeks ago, dose wasn't discussed so I'd assumed she'd be staying on 0.35 twice daily. Ordered more this week which arrives by post & she'd been put on med label as 0.24 which was her former dose. Receptionist wasn't very nice - I felt like I'd been making up the 0.35 & then made to feel guilty about the risks of high rates of prescribing when she finally found discussion of the increase in her notes. The suggestion seemed to be give her the 0.24ml as per med label & wait for Ruth to return in 2.5 weeks to discuss.

Finally asserted self & told receptionist I am not reducing my elderly & arthritic bunnies pain meds based on inabilty to read notes & that she will be staying on 0.35ml x 2 - so if that could kindly be placed on her notes, I'm available for vet discussion be that in 2.5 weeks or sooner. Grrrrr.

Absolutely right. Shouldn't have to do this though.

Good for you. You have been a client at the practice forever and it's appalling you were treated like that.

There should be somebody deputising for Ruth even at the other end of the week, let alone when on holiday.

(I have built up a good supply of Loxicom, should you need/want any. No bun here has it regularly but Ashlands give a full bottle with every neuter so I have a few unopened in hand).

I have never understood why the receptionist is like that.

Thank You both. Yeah I've never enjoyed my communications with that receptionist. You'd think once she'd seen on Ruth's notes the entry she'd apologise for the mistake made by the practice & offer some sort of assurance . I don't feel very well connected to my vets anymore :(

Back