• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mouse's fur

look at these humungous chunks of wax I just extracted from Mousey's ear:shock: - poor girlie

FJehKnxl.jpg
[/IMG]
Yikes! How'd you get that out? [emoji38]

the biggest lump was jutting out enough that I could get tweezers on it, the second lump I loosened with cotton bud moistened with olive oil & she shook that out (on to my jumper :lol:) Just think that 5p will be back in circulation before too long :lol:

She must feel so much better for having it out - I can't believe the size. I know Ruth (vet) said she took big chunk out of her ear but I was in the carpark so didn't actually see it. Maybe with Mouse seeing a stand-in vet at last appointment her ears weren't attended to. I'm not experienced in bunny ear wax so this is a new thing for me. Mousey :love: the bunny that keeps giving :lol:

Crikey :shock: I bet she can hear better now. Were they both in the same ear? Have you looked in the other one?

Crikey :shock: I bet she can hear better now. Were they both in the same ear? Have you looked in the other one?

Yep, both in same ear. Her other ear looks clear - she can get her foot in that one still. I thought maybe she can hear now so tried singing to her but she snoozed through

She must feel so much better for having it out - I can't believe the size. I know Ruth (vet) said she took big chunk out of her ear but I was in the carpark so didn't actually see it. Maybe with Mouse seeing a stand-in vet at last appointment her ears weren't attended to. I'm not experienced in bunny ear wax so this is a new thing for me. Mousey :love: the bunny that keeps giving :lol:
I never knew so much wax could be in one ear! She certainly gave you some nice gifts today. :lol::love:

I'm thi:lol:nking Mouse & Rudey could have made some nice organic candles together if she'd had this issue earlier. Wax supplied by Mouse, scent by Rudey
LMAO Oh man, a missed opportunity to inflict Rudey's bum on everyone :lol:

I feel bad that she must have been uncomfortable.

Your Vet might be able to suggest an ear cleaning solution to apply every few days. This helps prevent wax build up. You just pop a few drops into each ear canal and then massage the ear bases.

I would have a good feel around Mouse’s ear bases today if you haven’t already. When the ear canals have been bunged up with wax for a time infection can set in underneath. This can cause ear base abscesses. Your Vet might want to have a look into the ear canals with an otoscope to make sure there is no pus deep in the ear canal. This is by no means an inevitable scenario, but thought I had better mention it :)

I'm thi:lol:nking Mouse & Rudey could have made some nice organic candles together if she'd had this issue earlier. Wax supplied by Mouse, scent by Rudey

:lol:

I feel bad that she must have been uncomfortable.

You weren’t to know that it was building up like that. So you shouldn’t beat yourself up about it. I’m guessing it’s worse since she can’t get her foot in her ear to clean it now.

Thanks everyone
Your Vet might be able to suggest an ear cleaning solution to apply every few days. This helps prevent wax build up. You just pop a few drops into each ear canal and then massage the ear bases.

I would have a good feel around Mouse’s ear bases today if you haven’t already. When the ear canals have been bunged up with wax for a time infection can set in underneath. This can cause ear base abscesses. Your Vet might want to have a look into the ear canals with an otoscope to make sure there is no pus deep in the ear canal. This is by no means an inevitable scenario, but thought I had better mention it :)

I appreciate you mentioning it. I've discussed ear cleaners with my vet (Ruth) for Mousey & she really doesn't like using them on bunnies (dogs yes) as says they can really irritate their delicate ears. I trust Ruth so I have to go with that. I'll keep an eye out for any changes in her demeanor, gait, odours (I had a good whiff of the ear wax & was surprised it didn't smell) & lumps. I'll call Ruth when she's back in to get her thoughts. Any worries in the meantime we've got a pretty good (I think) bunny vet locally

A little update. I bought some Oxbow Skin & Coat tabs (have prior vet approval). Only started 5 days ago & I can see, feel & hear (hairs that stick together aren't making rasping sound) a difference:love:

I don't own shares in Oxbow supplements - honest :lol:

Back