• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mouse's fur

Thank You both. Yeah I've never enjoyed my communications with that receptionist. You'd think once she'd seen on Ruth's notes the entry she'd apologise for the mistake made by the practice & offer some sort of assurance . I don't feel very well connected to my vets anymore :(

Me neither. There's not been much benefit in Heather being back as it's impossible to see her anyway.

I booked a post-op check last Saturday. The receptionist said, "Does it have to be Saturday?" To which I stated I was following discharge instructions and booking for 5 days later. I got the feeling of being an inconvenience....

Me neither. There's not been much benefit in Heather being back as it's impossible to see her anyway.

I booked a post-op check last Saturday. The receptionist said, "Does it have to be Saturday?" To which I stated I was following discharge instructions and booking for 5 days later. I got the feeling of being an inconvenience....

:( I wish they'd sort their customer service out. At least Frances was contactable & personable even if part time. I basically winged it through lock down & since then Mouse has had reviews from Paul, Ruth & Allison. half the time I think about moving to the nearby & very personable vets4pets but I have this history of trying different vets every 5 years or so & always regret it.

I'm sorry the receptionist was so awful, j&b. As if you'd just make up that Mouse needs a higher dosage for fun! I'm glad you could be assertive, and I hope she's really put it in Mousey's notes now.

Well done J & B for sticking up to receptionist and advocating for Mousie, she's such a lucky bunny having you looking out for her. Hope you don't get any further issues x

:( I wish they'd sort their customer service out. At least Frances was contactable & personable even if part time. I basically winged it through lock down & since then Mouse has had reviews from Paul, Ruth & Allison. half the time I think about moving to the nearby & very personable vets4pets but I have this history of trying different vets every 5 years or so & always regret it.

Sam is my favourite vet at the moment but every other vet there knows scarily little about rabbits so a full move would be extremely risky.

Last edited:
Got a call off Ruth a couple of days ago. Discussed Mouseys meds & presentation - she didn't seem in any rush to get off the phone so I worked through a few of my queries:lol: Much better than a carpark "consult" anyday

Got a call off Ruth a couple of days ago. Discussed Mouseys meds & presentation - she didn't seem in any rush to get off the phone so I worked through a few of my queries:lol: Much better than a carpark "consult" anyday

Excellent news. I had a call like that about Erin during the "dark days", sadly, my dad's falls alarm was also going off so I had to end the call before I got full benefit.

I wonder how long the car park consultations will last - I wanted to have a bit of a moan about being charged for Barnaby's PM but I haven't had the opportunity, like I would in the consulting rooms.

I hope you got reassurance re Mousey

That's wonderful. I'm glad you got to have a good conversation about Mousey and got some questions answered. :) Did she have some ideas about Mouse's fur?

Excellent news. I had a call like that about Erin during the "dark days", sadly, my dad's falls alarm was also going off so I had to end the call before I got full benefit.

I wonder how long the car park consultations will last - I wanted to have a bit of a moan about being charged for Barnaby's PM but I haven't had the opportunity, like I would in the consulting rooms.

I hope you got reassurance re Mousey

Surely the they can't keep the car park thing up forever? It offered a bit of reassurance i think

That's wonderful. I'm glad you got to have a good conversation about Mousey and got some questions answered. :) Did she have some ideas about Mouse's fur?

Thank You. Yes she did but I'd kind of worked it out for myself anyway over the weeks. Basically I've not been grooming close enough to the skin so loose fur, skin, dirt etc traps & forms little matts. Humans are just rubbish at grooming compared to animals & Mousey has been a long time without being groomed all over by herself or another bunny. I still think it clumps more than it should. Its good she enjoys being groomed by me but too bad I'm rubbish at it.
She is happy for me to try Oxbows skin & coat tabs though suspects its a grooming issue in which case they'd be a waste of money

Thank You. Yes she did but I'd kind of worked it out for myself anyway over the weeks. Basically I've not been grooming close enough to the skin so loose fur, skin, dirt etc traps & forms little matts. Humans are just rubbish at grooming compared to animals & Mousey has been a long time without being groomed all over by herself or another bunny. I still think it clumps more than it should. Its good she enjoys being groomed by me but too bad I'm rubbish at it.
She is happy for me to try Oxbows skin & coat tabs though suspects its a grooming issue in which case they'd be a waste of money
Oh, I see. That makes sense, that it's because you're not getting close enough to the skin. I agree that humans are bad at grooming bunnies compared to bunnies themselves, sadly. I think a lot of brushes and combs mostly just do the surface, though combs seem better at it, and maybe those slicker brushes? But with how sensitive bunny skin is, you don't want to get too close to the skin, either, of course, since that might hurt. :? What a tricky situation... I'm glad she enjoys being groomed by you, at least. Do you think you'll try the Oxbow skin & coat tabs, since you both think it's a grooming issue?

Oh, I see. That makes sense, that it's because you're not getting close enough to the skin. I agree that humans are bad at grooming bunnies compared to bunnies themselves, sadly. I think a lot of brushes and combs mostly just do the surface, though combs seem better at it, and maybe those slicker brushes? But with how sensitive bunny skin is, you don't want to get too close to the skin, either, of course, since that might hurt. :? What a tricky situation... I'm glad she enjoys being groomed by you, at least. Do you think you'll try the Oxbow skin & coat tabs, since you both think it's a grooming issue?

that's the big problem isn't it, they have such sensitive skin you have to go so slowly. I am really gentle with her (she is only sat in her usual spot so at liberty to move away anytime she likes). I may try the tabs someday but not yet.

that's the big problem isn't it, they have such sensitive skin you have to go so slowly. I am really gentle with her (she is only sat in her usual spot so at liberty to move away anytime she likes). I may try the tabs someday but not yet.
Yeah, you have to be so careful... I definitely believe you're really gentle with her, though, especially when she doesn't move away even though she can. You wouldn't hurt your dear Mousey.

If she's anything like Lopsy she'll let you know when she's in pian, uncomfy, had enough etc.! When we're defluffing him, if he hops off we assume he's just gone to find more food, so we follow him, if he makes for somewhere awakward for us to get him, we know he's had enough XD Doesn't always stop us when it's bad though :lol:

Grim photo warning

look at these humungous chunks of wax I just extracted from Mousey's ear:shock: - poor girlie

FJehKnxl.jpg

I'm thi:lol:nking Mouse & Rudey could have made some nice organic candles together if she'd had this issue earlier. Wax supplied by Mouse, scent by Rudey

Back