• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Protection against fly strike

chookmom

Young Bun
Hi, it is a long time since I have looked on here as all has been happily quiet for some years with my rabbits.
They are a happily bonded pair who have a shed/ outside run set up.
The female is 11this month, I know she is 11 as she was born at the rescue. She is still eating well, though is thinner, and is bright and active but stiffer in her back legs.
In the last few months she sometimes has poo stuck to her bottom. I check her every day and she is mostly clean but every 1-2 weeks have to remove poo stuck in her fur. I believe these are caecatrophs and she can't clean herself so well.
As the weather is warming up I am starting to think about fly strike. I do some protecting of the shed with mesh etc but know how quickly it can happen.
I have seen Rearguard, would this be a good idea? Or can you suggest anything else

Checking your rabbit twice a day is usually recommended, but may not be enough. Flystrike can happen within hours - it's an awful thing to deal with, and a real risk in warmer weather with vulnerable animals.

Is she on anything to help with arthritis? If she's better able to keep herself clean, that will give her the best chance of avoiding flystrike. Otherwise, keep her living area really clean so that flies are less likely to be attracted there. Any toilet area needs to be scrupulously clean.

Is there anything in her diet that is causing the problem? It may be a case of slight dietary modification to resolve the issue.

Rearguard is an option, but can cause reduced appetite (which can cause other issues in rabbits), needs reapplying if it is washed off, and is quite expensive. F10 germicidal wound spray with insecticide is effective, cheaper and can be used daily if needed, even on open wounds. I used it on a couple of outdoor rabbits who had major jaw abscess surgery and had permanently open wounds (ie fly magnets). It is toxic to cats, so make sure they can't have contact with it.

https://www.f10products.co.uk/f10-germicidal-wound-spray-with-insecticide-product-information/
https://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-452554

Thank you.
They are going to the vet for vaccinations in May so I will ask about pain relief for her.
I will send for the other product. It looks good

Are they outside? You could try planting repellent plants around them to help minimise the flies, in pots if needs be - most of the herbs will do this (so they can double as a tasty treat!) but lavender, mint, rosemary, lemon thyme, basil, sage, lemongrass, bay leaves can all help. Won't be a huge amount in comparison to mesh etc, but is a pleasant addition at least. You can add some of the safe but less desirable-to-eat herbs like rosemary and lavender to bedding areas too to help between litter changes, just sprinkle it about.

Back