• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

gut stasis

Thank you for all your support! Walli is doing better:love: He is eating more hay and this morning he was running around my OH legs doing binkies :love:

We have decided not to pick him up for more assisted feeding and medicines at the moment as this stresses him out so much. He takes some medicine on apple leaf. Fingers crossed this will be enough!

Thank you for all your support! Walli is doing better:love: He is eating more hay and this morning he was running around my OH legs doing binkies :love:

We have decided not to pick him up for more assisted feeding and medicines at the moment as this stresses him out so much. He takes some medicine on apple leaf. Fingers crossed this will be enough!
Oh he sounds like he's doing much better [emoji7] so glad xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Actually, what I did was not pick him up unless there was really no other way. That made him feel safer with me, which made him less afraid when I did need to pick him up. So, for example, when it was time for his weekly check-up and brushing I'd lure him into a carrier or into a low-sided box, and then I'd pick him up that way, so he'd still have something solid under his feet, which was less scary for him. He won't fall for that anymore now and won't be lured into anything, so now I do have to pick him up, but I try to make it as brief as possible by putting the low-sided box on the floor and picking him up and lifting him into that, and then picking him up with the box, which, again, he finds less scary. With Walli's pododermatitis, though, I can see why you need to handle him a lot, to take care of him, but maybe you can figure out a way of doing it that doesn't involve picking him up as much? Could you maybe check his feet while he's flopped on the floor and the undersides of his feet are visible? You say he has fluffy feet, though, so maybe you won't be able to see well enough... CarelessSquid07's way of doing it sounds great. :)

Also, I'm glad he's feeling a bit better. I hope he'll continue feeling better and will soon be back to normal. Lots more vibes for him.

Thank you for your ideas! He is very fluffy (and I am of course glad he still has some fluff to cover his footsies) so at the moment I don´t see well enough and if I start poking he runs in under the sofa and won´t flop again for days. Unfortunately there is a real risk he soon will be more "naked" over the pododermatitis if it continue to get worse. In that case I will definitely try carelessSquid07´s way of doing it :)

Good idea with the carrier, I will try it, maybe it works at least once or twice :)
Yeah, the best would be not to pick him up for a long time a think and start from the beginning. I would really love to do that. But I have to check/treat his feet. And also he is part Angora and his fur grows extremely quickly so it´s necessary to brush/trim him every 7-10 days. Actually even ofter would be better, 2 times a week would be optimal but then I would have a rabbit in constant gut stasis I think :( I don´t know why handling stresses him out so much but he was handled very little when I got him so he wasn´t used to it and his personality is very very shy so it´s probably a combination. It took about 1 year before he dared leave the living room and explore other areas in the aparatment and 3 years before I got to pet him. Now he comes for nose rubs and cuddles every evening:love:

With a carrier he goes into himself maybe he don´t feel so stressed when picking him up. Thank you :wave:

Last edited:

That's great news! :love: I'm glad he takes some medicine from an apple leaf so you don't have to pick him up but can still get some medicine into him. I hope he'll continue to feel better! :D

Thank you for your ideas! He is very fluffy (and I am of course glad he still has some fluff to cover his footsies) so at the moment I don´t see well enough and if I start poking he runs in under the sofa and won´t flop again for days. Unfortunately there is a real risk he soon will be more "naked" over the pododermatitis if it continue to get worse. In that case I will definitely try carelessSquid07´s way of doing it :)

Good idea with the carrier, I will try it, maybe it works at least once or twice :)
Yeah, the best would be not to pick him up for a long time a think and start from the beginning. I would really love to do that. But I have to check/treat his feet. And also he is part Angora and his fur grows extremely quickly so it´s necessary to brush/trim him every 7-10 days. Actually even ofter would be better, 2 times a week would be optimal but then I would have a rabbit in constant gut stasis I think :( I don´t know why handling stresses him out so much but he was handled very little when I got him so he wasn´t used to it and his personality is very very shy so it´s probably a combination. It took about 1 year before he dared leave the living room and explore other areas in the aparatment and 3 years before I got to pet him. Now he comes for nose rubs and cuddles every evening:love:

With a carrier he goes into himself maybe he don´t feel so stressed when picking him up. Thank you :wave:
It sounds like a difficult situation, when you have to pick him up regularly to check his feet and brush/trim his fur when it stresses him out so, so much. :( And I get why you can't inspect his feet well enough right now when he's flopped because he still has a lot of fur on his feet. I hope his poor feet will heal soon. He does sound really shy, so that's wonderful that he now trusts you enough to come for nose rubs and cuddles every evening, aww. :love:

Thank you Graciee and a reader if books:)

Yes, I thought it would never happen so I'm very happy I get to give him some noserubs and cuddles:love:

Glad to hear he's doing better!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thank you! And thank you for your tips regarding pododermatitis in my other tread a few weeks ago. I've changed from carefresh + hay to paper pellets +hay and the litterbox feels like it is much more dry! Fingers crossed it will help:wave:

Thank you! And thank you for your tips regarding pododermatitis in my other tread a few weeks ago. I've changed from carefresh + hay to paper pellets +hay and the litterbox feels like it is much more dry! Fingers crossed it will help:wave:
No worries I hope it helps. We never managed to get Primrose's as good as I liked but we definitely had major improvements along the way.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Back