• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Pickle Please U/D back to the vets.

Maybe it was 2 for 1 day :lol: really hope Pickle stops squeaking and snoring soon, and that Beans stays healthy too. Lots of vibes for the pair of them xx

We’ve been back to the vets today. Pickle started snoring again last week. He’s been fine in himself otherwise. Beans has been fine, but I took him along too to be checked. Pickle did have a slight squeak and so she’s prescribed another 5 day course of baytril and loxicom. Beans sounded okay, but she’s prescribed the same for him, as the assumption is that they are reinfecting each other. I also got her to trim their nails as they were getting long.
Somehow, they only seem to have charged me for the baytril and one consultation fee! I’m half expecting a phone call to say oops we undercharged you. :lol: The vet was very relieved that I still had some loxicom left to give them and could just confirm the dosage, she seemed slightly surprised when I said I’d heard there was a shortage!

I am wondering if 5 days of Baytril is far too short a course :? With abx lots of short courses can lead to more problems than they resolve. Personally I'd want to do a 14 day course to try to well and truly zap all the rogue bacteria.

Steam inhalations can help to drain the sinuses. Giving Bisolvon, a mucolytic, which thins out the mucus secretions making it easier for it to darin, can also be beneficial

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-pr...von-c-21_712/bisolvon-powder-5g-sachet-p-1120

Topping up the vibes :love:

I'm sorry to hear Pickles is unwell again. I'm with Jane in that abx would be better as a 10 or 14 day course. I'm baffled sometimes by the odd advice from vets that imply a 5 or 7 day course is sufficient.
Mind you, you say Baytril is icky but if it's so bad, how come bunnys eat their own poop and that's ok?
Sending Pickles loads of vibes. xx

Mind you, you say Baytril is icky but if it's so bad, how come bunnys eat their own poop and that's ok?
Cecotropes smell sweetish, similar to horse manure, so I expect they taste better than earwax+orange rind without the good stuff. I'd certainly rather eat fresh or even well-rotted horse manure than baytril :lol:

Thanks guys. Both bunnies are behaving absolutely normally this morning, running over for their morning fenugreek crunchie and scoffing it. Good point about the length of the course Jane, will see where we’re at after day 5. Having just finished two courses of antibiotics back to back myself for a chest infection it makes sense!

Had to laugh last night and I so wish I’d caught it on camera. I went into the kitchen to get an ice lolly (good for sore throats) and so must have disturbed Beans who was sat by the dining chair. As I came out of the kitchen I saw a little bunny bottom, with cute tail and back legs outstretched in a stretch position sticking out from under the chair. He then struggled to get a grip to hop off so his little feet were scrabbling back and forth in the floor until he got a grip. It was the cutest thing ever, a little bunny bum, little tail pointing down and back leggies. :love:

Thanks guys. Both bunnies are behaving absolutely normally this morning, running over for their morning fenugreek crunchie and scoffing it. Good point about the length of the course Jane, will see where we’re at after day 5. Having just finished two courses of antibiotics back to back myself for a chest infection it makes sense!

Had to laugh last night and I so wish I’d caught it on camera. I went into the kitchen to get an ice lolly (good for sore throats) and so must have disturbed Beans who was sat by the dining chair. As I came out of the kitchen I saw a little bunny bottom, with cute tail and back legs outstretched in a stretch position sticking out from under the chair. He then struggled to get a grip to hop off so his little feet were scrabbling back and forth in the floor until he got a grip. It was the cutest thing ever, a little bunny bum, little tail pointing down and back leggies. :love:

Glad they are both doing well, yes would loved to have seen that :D

Back