• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Teaching rabbit to stop doing something

Clare_Bear

New Kit
Hi,

I’m looking for some advice on how to teach my bunny (Dobby) to stop doing something.

We have a very large mat in our living room that is primarily Dobby’s space and has been for 2 and a half years.
It worked very well up until recently; the rest of the floor is wooden/laminate and he found it too slippery so he just naturally stayed on the mat. It meant that we could trust him to stay on the mat and we didn’t have to worry about “fencing him in” in any way.
It worked well for me too because it felt like he was more included in our day to day life if there was no barrier between him and us. I’m sure that probably sounds silly but hopefully you understand where I’m coming from!

Recently, he’s started to stray off the mat and seems to have found his feet with the slippery floor. We thought it was funny at first and that he’d gotten very brave but now he’s straying further and further and into areas where it’s not safe for him to be.
I usually give him a firm ‘No!’ and either encourage him back to the mat or move him there myself if he’s being stubborn! But it’s starting to feel like I’m constantly telling him off and I’m worried about losing his trust.

While I’d love to have him free roaming around the entire house, I don’t live alone so it’s not really practical. In particular, my dad has some mobility and balance problems and if Dobby were free to roam around, I’d be worried that my dad would either trip over him and fall or lose his balance and accidentally stand on Dobby.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to train or teach Dobby to stay on the mat? I’ve been able to teach him some tricks so I know that both we’re both capable of that, but I’m not really sure where to start with this.

If worst comes to worst, I can put some fencing together or use a run but I’d really like to avoid that if it’s at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Clare

Hi,

I’m looking for some advice on how to teach my bunny (Dobby) to stop doing something.

We have a very large mat in our living room that is primarily Dobby’s space and has been for 2 and a half years.
It worked very well up until recently; the rest of the floor is wooden/laminate and he found it too slippery so he just naturally stayed on the mat. It meant that we could trust him to stay on the mat and we didn’t have to worry about “fencing him in” in any way.
It worked well for me too because it felt like he was more included in our day to day life if there was no barrier between him and us. I’m sure that probably sounds silly but hopefully you understand where I’m coming from!

Recently, he’s started to stray off the mat and seems to have found his feet with the slippery floor. We thought it was funny at first and that he’d gotten very brave but now he’s straying further and further and into areas where it’s not safe for him to be.
I usually give him a firm ‘No!’ and either encourage him back to the mat or move him there myself if he’s being stubborn! But it’s starting to feel like I’m constantly telling him off and I’m worried about losing his trust.

While I’d love to have him free roaming around the entire house, I don’t live alone so it’s not really practical. In particular, my dad has some mobility and balance problems and if Dobby were free to roam around, I’d be worried that my dad would either trip over him and fall or lose his balance and accidentally stand on Dobby.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to train or teach Dobby to stay on the mat? I’ve been able to teach him some tricks so I know that both we’re both capable of that, but I’m not really sure where to start with this.

If worst comes to worst, I can put some fencing together or use a run but I’d really like to avoid that if it’s at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Clare

Hi, I’ve not really got a definitive answer but I’m sure someone else will come along with a better one. The only thing I can think of is to make him associate the mat with as many positive things as possible, ie he gets praise when he stays on the mat, a variety of toys (inc lots of chew toys to keep him busy), and that’s where he gets his food and treats. If you do try to encourage him to go back on the mat when he is off of it then use as much praise and positive reinforcement as possible, as opposed to telling him off (I find that a lot of the time my bunnies enjoy getting told off and binky haha which isn’t great but also funny). So possibly try to refocus your attention on rewarding him for staying on the mat as opposed to telling him off for not being on the mat if that makes sense.

Also, how big is the mat? If this is only a small space with little to do (eg little toys) then he is more likely to stray in search of things to do. I’d also give him the option if possible for him to have a ‘play time area’ when he can go for an hour or so a day away from the mat (and make your dad aware when he is in this room/space) so that he is less likely to get bored of his surroundings. This should give him somewhere else to get his energy out and hopefully tire him out a little. If you do this, ensure the room is bunny proofed (no exposed cables/protect skirting boards etc). Also it would probably be best allow him into this area in the early morning/evenings as rabbits are prepescular and this is when they are most active. But that is really all I can think of, so I hope it helps!

If it were me I would want to know bunny was safe from being trod on and your Father did not have a fall. My rabbits are terrible for running right in front of you, or even through your feet, when I am walking round.

Back