• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Partner died and rabbit struggling to accept another

Deathwing

New Kit
Hi, I had two female rabbits spayed who got on really well. They are two years old but sadly one nibbled a lot of things and got a digestive blockage and died.

Assuming the remaining rabbit will still live many years we got a new male bunny to give them companionship. However they are not very keen on having a new friend.

We had them in separate cages for a few weeks facing each other and switched them round from time to time so they get used to each other's smells. We then tried introducing them but while the new rabbit was curious the old one attacked. We tried the same with a friend's female bunny and the same thing happened.

Perhaps I should have just left the old rabbit to turn into a lonely spinster. Any thoughts on helping her make a new friend are appreciated!

Last edited:
Bunnies are never best left alone, you did the right thing in getting a male friend for her. Is he neutered? What do you mean when you say she attacked? Where did you introduce them?

Female rabbits are highly territorial so this is why she won't accept another rabbit in her space. You need to introduce her to the new rabbit in a room/area as far away as possible from where she knows then you should have more success. Female rabbits shouldn't be alone imo so please don't give up on getting her a friend, a neutered male will be best.

I’m so sorry you lost one of your rabbits :cry: they are better off with a bonded friend. A neutered male would be your best bet and as Tonibun has said bonding should be in a small neutral area where neither rabbit has been before.

The male is not neutered but he is too young to neuter. I tried introducing them in the living room (they normally live in the garage so this was a neutral venue).

Back