• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis in 11 year old bun

scatter

Alpha Buck
Hi

My Poppy has suffered with recurring stasis over the past 11 years and I have had to cut out all greens in the past but she can tolerate dried herbs and pellets (only soya free) and we got quite a good run of about 19 months free of stasis. She has always been a pretty good hay eater and she is a free range house rabbit. However (typically) just before the start of lockdown she had several episodes and she was on and off Emeprid and my brilliant rabbit-savvy bet has said due to the fact he is self-isolating I should just keep her on the Emeprid until I can see him again in 10 days.

I’m at a loss as to what is causing it, I’ve changed nothing and her environment hasn’t changed and the couple of times I have dropped a dose (in the morning), she has stopped eating, hence my vet saying to just continue for the next couple of weeks.

She doesn’t respond well when the dose is dropped.

I just wish I could figure it out as she’s 11 and I do worry about her. If anybody has any suggestions (and I’ve racked my brains), I’d be grateful! X

Hi

My Poppy has suffered with recurring stasis over the past 11 years and I have had to cut out all greens in the past but she can tolerate dried herbs and pellets (only soya free) and we got quite a good run of about 19 months free of stasis. She has always been a pretty good hay eater and she is a free range house rabbit. However (typically) just before the start of lockdown she had several episodes and she was on and off Emeprid and my brilliant rabbit-savvy bet has said due to the fact he is self-isolating I should just keep her on the Emeprid until I can see him again in 10 days.

I’m at a loss as to what is causing it, I’ve changed nothing and her environment hasn’t changed and the couple of times I have dropped a dose (in the morning), she has stopped eating, hence my vet saying to just continue for the next couple of weeks.

She doesn’t respond well when the dose is dropped.

I just wish I could figure it out as she’s 11 and I do worry about her. If anybody has any suggestions (and I’ve racked my brains), I’d be grateful! X

Can you give a bit more information :

1- Is she maintaining her weight ?

2- Is her water intake and urine output normal ?

3- Is she on any pain relief/have age related arthritis/any history of Dental problems ?

4- What is her general demeanor like, is she as active and responsive as usual ?

5- Does she have any respiratory symptoms such as an increased respiratory rate and/or effort ?

Hi JJ

She is maintaining weight and vet checks her teeth regularly and says they are amazing for her age.

All other things you mention are as normal. I am just always straight on to it as soon as she won’t eat the tiny amount of pellets I give her (usually she’s straight on to them as she hardly gets any so I can always tell early on).

I have Emeprid and for example gave her Metacam last night as she went in to a not eating mood and was lying down with tummy pressed to the floor. She then perked up and has eaten dried herbs and hay today and acted normally (still won’t touch pellets). I’m just wondering why it is happening regularly after having so long with a good run 😩

Last edited:
Hi JJ

She is maintaining weight and vet checks her teeth regularly and says they are amazing for her age.

All other things you mention are as normal. I am just always straight on to it as soon as she won’t eat the tiny amount of pellets I give her (usually she’s straight on to them as she hardly gets any so I can always tell early on).

I have Emeprid and for example gave her Metacam last night as she went in to a not eating mood and was lying down with tummy pressed to the floor. She then peeled up and has eaten dried herbs and hay today and acted normally (still won’t touch pellets). I’m just wondering why it is happening regularly after having so long with a good run ��

So she improved after Metacam last night, not Emeprid ?? If so I am wondering if she does have some age related arthritic pain. This would not be at all unusual in an 11 year old Rabbit

What is her poo output like ?

I don’t have any suggestions other than teeth or something underlying, sending lots of vibes xx

Hi

Sorry no, my mistake lol. She’s been fine on Emeprid for 3 weeks until I have dropped the morning dose and then at night she has gone off her food, then goes downhill, so then I have given both Emeprid and Metacam when she’s been uncomfortable which has perked her up, so she’s been okay on the normal morning and evening doses, until I have dropped one? X

Hi

Sorry no, my mistake lol. She’s been fine on Emeprid for 3 weeks until I have dropped the morning dose and then at night she has gone off her food, then goes downhill, so then I have given both Emeprid and Metacam when she’s been uncomfortable which has perked her up, so she’s been okay on the normal morning and evening doses, until I have dropped one? X

I do think that it may be that she has some degree of arthritic pain that is exhibiting as gut slow down. Has the Vet mentioned this possibility ? Could you ask the Vet about a trial of daily Metacam as you simultaneously taper off the Emeprid and see if she still goes off her food ? It is the physiological responses to pain that cause a Rabbit's GI tract to slow down, so addressing the pain may mean that gut slow down does not occur. There-by treating the problem (pain) and not just the symptom (gut slow down) Hope that makes sense ! x

It does make perfect sense! I did wonder about any age-related thing and of course being a rabbit, it would be difficult to spot!

Thank you I will ask my vet but obviously it’s been by phone and he’s going to have a thorough check over at appointment x

It does make perfect sense! I did wonder about any age-related thing and of course being a rabbit, it would be difficult to spot!

Thank you I will ask my vet but obviously it’s been by phone and he’s going to have a thorough check over at appointment x

Have a look at his hocks. If the fur looks rather thin over them or he has bald/sore hocks this could be another pointer toward arthritis. Also, muscle wastage over the rear end. If he usually often lays with his back legs stuck out behind him he may not do so as often if he has a sore back. He may also stretch a lot more when he first gets up too, this can sometimes look like tummy pressing.

Did the vet prescribe it twice a day? Instead of eliminating a dose, perhaps you may have better success if you reduced the dosage rather than the number of doses. Jane's suggestion of Medicam is also good.
Medicam can help with inflammation as well as pain so it may offer that added benefit too.
Did you start a new bag of food/hay? Some bunnies notice the difference in taste even with the same brand.
My Raven loves Selective Naturals garden stick treats and I give him a few pieces of a stick each day. They are the first food both my bunnies ate after their dentals shortly before the lockdown. I only gave him 1/3 of a stick per day for about a week to make sure they did not cause him tummy issues before slowly increasing him to 3/4 stick per day. I make sure he eats his hay and greens too.

Hi and thank you. I think I may have been so desperate for her to eat that I gave her too much oat hay yesterday and it’s set her off again. My vet worries about Metacam’s effect on the stomach but rabbits being rabbits, I wonder if pain relief does help x

Hi and thank you. I think I may have been so desperate for her to eat that I gave her too much oat hay yesterday and it’s set her off again. My vet worries about Metacam’s effect on the stomach but rabbits being rabbits, I wonder if pain relief does help x

IME it does and in over 20 years I have never had a Rabbit react badly to Meloxicam (the active ingredient in Metacam), even when given long term to treat a chronic painful condition. Of course it is wise to be mindful of any potential detrimental side effects of any drug, but if it is case of risk them or leaving a Rabbit in chronic discomfort then I know what I'd opt to do. A Rabbit in chronic pain will end up with GI tract problems anyway, so not giving analgesia is a risk in that respect just as much as giving it may be.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/medical/pain-management-rabbits/

https://rabbit.org/the-importance-of-analgesia-pain-control-for-pet-rabbits/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521861

How is Bunny doing now ?

[/B]

IME it does and in over 20 years I have never had a Rabbit react badly to Meloxicam (the active ingredient in Metacam), even when given long term to treat a chronic painful condition. Of course it is wise to be mindful of any potential detrimental side effects of any drug, but if it is case of risk them or leaving a Rabbit in chronic discomfort then I know what I'd opt to do. A Rabbit in chronic pain will end up with GI tract problems anyway, so not giving analgesia is a risk in that respect just as much as giving it may be.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/medical/pain-management-rabbits/

https://rabbit.org/the-importance-of-analgesia-pain-control-for-pet-rabbits/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521861

How is Bunny doing now ?

Yes - I totally agree! She has perked up no end and then stopped pooping and eating last night. I stayed awake tummy rubbing and went and got done recovery food earlier - she has just started nibbling some hay so I’m hoping and praying! I’m due to see my brilliant rabbity vet on Tuesday fingers crossed!! Xx

Yes - I totally agree! She has perked up no end and then stopped pooping and eating last night. I stayed awake tummy rubbing and went and got done recovery food earlier - she has just started nibbling some hay so I’m hoping and praying! I’m due to see my brilliant rabbity vet on Tuesday fingers crossed!! Xx

Hopefully she's pooing OK ? It will be good for you to have the input of your more Rabbit Savvy Vet, I hope that all goes well :)

Back