• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus, gut stasis

Hoping that Atticus is still showing signs of improvement this morning, and that the hay and herbs has helped start more gut movement. Hope you got some sleep too, you are doing a great job there, big hug xxx

Really don't know what to do about his ear or the Metacam, he's still chattering a bit on and off, there's no output still tho :(

Still eating veg and herbs

Does anyone know what the chattering could be? :(

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I’m afraid I don’t know what the chattering is. Has the vet made any suggestions? Fingers crossed his guts get moving soon, topping up the vibes and hugs xx

I am so sorry that Atticus (who is SO gorgeous!) is still not well. He must make it! I am thinking of you and hope he will finally have proper outcome and improve. You must feel utterly shattered.

Really don't know what to do about his ear or the Metacam, he's still chattering a bit on and off, there's no output still tho :(

Still eating veg and herbs

Does anyone know what the chattering could be? :(

Gracie, My bunny made two different chittering sounds when getting care. Neither sound was teeth grinding.
The one chittering sound he made while getting sub q fluids sounded like he was shivering from the room temp fluids going in quickly.
The other chittering sound is when he enjoys the pets he gets. He still makes that one ,though not as often as when he was recovering from stasis.and a dental..

Thanks everyone, I rang the vets as soon as they opened, my Vet isn't there today, one of the nurses said it's not possible to get spaced from loxicom so I gave him 2ml again, if it happens again I'm gunna lower the dose. I asked about the ear catheter too, they said to remove all the bandage and then come in for some new tape if the tapes wet... Which Idk if I'm up to tbh, I've no idea what's going on under that bandage and not feeling very confident about it :( I decided to give him his morning meds and fluids and then wait a bit, then attempt I guess, I do have some spare tape, I don't mind trimming it down etc, it's just taking the whole thing off when I don't have any padding to put back in worries me a bit :(

He's eaten some herbs and nibbled hay... But still no output since yesterday :(

I really don't see why they can't sort out the whole issue of the ear bandage for you at the vets if you don't feel up to it :( See how he is after the meds and fluids.

I really don't see why they can't sort out the whole issue of the ear bandage for you at the vets if you don't feel up to it :( See how he is after the meds and fluids.

Ditto

Can you ask them to admit him given that you are feeling so awful yourself ?

Can you remind me of the exact meds he is on ? I am concerned that the Vet is saying to continue syringe feeds when there has been no outout for so long. The Vet really needs to be able to examine him every few hours, which can only be achieved on an inpatient basis. If he has started to bloat up then syringe feeds should stop STAT. If I were you I'd ask for him to be admitted. Not because you cant cope with the care he needs, but because bump is making you feel like **** and I know all too well how horrific it can be trying to care for a sick Rabbit when I am ill myself. Sending lots more vibes............for both of you xx

I'm so sorry there's still no output. I really thought the fact he had been moving about so much and eating hay would have resulted in something coming out by now.

I do agree with Jane that you should seriously consider having him admitted. They may need to keep reviewing and changing the treatment regime. I also think by now you must be in desperate need of some respite.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Ditto

Can you ask them to admit him given that you are feeling so awful yourself ?

Can you remind me of the exact meds he is on ? I am concerned that the Vet is saying to continue syringe feeds when there has been no outout for so long. The Vet really needs to be able to examine him every few hours, which can only be achieved on an inpatient basis. If he has started to bloat up then syringe feeds should stop STAT. If I were you I'd ask for him to be admitted. Not because you cant cope with the care he needs, but because bump is making you feel like **** and I know all too well how horrific it can be trying to care for a sick Rabbit when I am ill myself. Sending lots more vibes............for both of you xx

This is exactly what I'm worried about! But my vets not there til Thursday so it's not possible :'(

I've no syringe fed him since last night because he was nibbling and eating some hay, and because there's no output - I feel exactly the same. I'm scared I'll over do it and he isn't passing anything :(

Admitting him will just get nursing care with no input from my Vet as she's not there :(

I'm taking him in later for blood glucose because I'm so worried :(

Sorry forget to put meds

Loxicom
Lactulose
Emeprid
Cisapride

Yea ikr

I’m sorry there is no output :cry: it’s a shame he can’t be admitted, to take the pressure off you :cry: I’m not sure if any of the other drugs he’s having act in the same way but when Frosty was having relatively high doses of metacam following a dental and in stasis the vet also gave him ranitidine to protect his stomach from ulcers and also get his guts moving.

Topping up the vibes and hugs xx

I’m sorry there is no output :cry: it’s a shame he can’t be admitted, to take the pressure off you :cry: I’m not sure if any of the other drugs he’s having act in the same way but when Frosty was having relatively high doses of metacam following a dental and in stasis the vet also gave him ranitidine to protect his stomach from ulcers and also get his guts moving.

Topping up the vibes and hugs xx

Yea I mentioned it last night but it's off the market now, because the cancer stuff in humans they found :(

I really need to find another vet that's kinda close (within an hours drive) I'd happily have him admitted, he'd probably get better care, I'm so exhausted from every hour fluids over night that I just fell asleep and he's just had a two hour gap :'( which is the last thing he needs rn, me letting him down.

He's not eating now.. But what he ate last night was significant enough I'd expect output.. But there's none :( and that seriously worries me :( xx

I'm so sorry there's still no output. I really thought the fact he had been moving about so much and eating hay would have resulted in something coming out by now.

I do agree with Jane that you should seriously consider having him admitted. They may need to keep reviewing and changing the treatment regime. I also think by now you must be in desperate need of some respite.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Yea same :( if that was an option I'd have dropped him off when they opened this morning :(

Yea I mentioned it last night but it's off the market now, because the cancer stuff in humans they found :(

I really need to find another vet that's kinda close (within an hours drive) I'd happily have him admitted, he'd probably get better care, I'm so exhausted from every hour fluids over night that I just fell asleep and he's just had a two hour gap :'( which is the last thing he needs rn, me letting him down.

He's not eating now.. But what he ate last night was significant enough I'd expect output.. But there's none :( and that seriously worries me :( xx

I forgot about that :cry:

Can he be admitted at the other vets they were going to refer him to? Your own vets don’t seem to be providing the right kind of all round support imo.

You aren’t letting him down, no one could do any more for him than you, and if you are trying to do it all alone whilst feeling ill and being pregnant I’m not surprised you slept longer. You shouldn’t beat yourself up about that.

I forgot about that :cry:

Can he be admitted at the other vets they were going to refer him to? Your own vets don’t seem to be providing the right kind of all round support imo.

You aren’t letting him down, no one could do any more for him than you, and if you are trying to do it all alone whilst feeling ill and being pregnant I’m not surprised you slept longer. You shouldn’t beat yourself up about that.
That might be an idea, I'm guessing they are 24/7 with care.. See my vets aren't :(

I think I'll wait till my appointment to get him checked as it's not that long now, then if not ask them to refer him, then maybe they can take over the care. Problem is, I don't really need diagnostics now, it's just monitoring him and getting him to try pass something :( his xray last night looked a lot better but there was still that lump, you could feel it and see it on the xray.. Last night his blood glucose was 8.2..before we left so fine tbh.. Then he came home, later ate a fair amount of hay.. Its just the lack our output... I'm wondering if its blocking or something? The lump.

You're certainly not letting him down. I really would not be happy just continuing as you are until Thursday. It is really such a terrible situation, not helped by your vet not being there. I can't say what I would do if it were me, but I think I would be seriously looking for another vet close by, although changing vets when he is so poorly is also not the best :(

Sending loads of hugs and strength as well as loads of vibes for your beautiful boy.

eta Just seen your latest post. I'd forgotten about the lump. Isn't establishing what that is diagnostics?

I think, if I was in your position, if your vet is not in today, and your appointment is not today, I would get him admitted to the other referral vets if at all possible. Can your vets pass over the X-rays etc as a referral?

Back