• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus, gut stasis

:cry: Really hope he can get through this. Whatever happens, no one could do any more for him than you are doing. Sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

Gracie,
He has been determined enough to keep trying by eating greens and hopping on your lap.
How are you giving fluids? IMO oral works better for rehydrating gut, yet sub q is an option to supplement oral fluids if the bunny can absorbe .Jane would know for sure, but I heard bunnys other systems will dehydrate gut contents so other systems stay hydrated.
We are all supporting you and your boy.

Thanks, I really do appreciate everyones support :)

Fluids are via a catheter in his ear, altho when the catheter failed last night, it was a few hours wait to get the new one so I did sq fluids instead to keep him on track.. Maybe I should give some oral fluids instead then? Worth a try, I don't think I can get him to take the whole 15ml by mouth every hour... But maybe I could do 10ml by ear and 5ml by mouth or something every hour.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Oh Gracie you must be exhausted :cry: he really is lucky to have you and I am crossing everything for you that he pulls through...he’s certainly a fighter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I'm pretty dead, and it's gunna be a long night I think, not sure how I'm going to get any sleep, and I'm so tired all the time atm it's tough :(

Just wanna do my best for him, he deserves the best, and there's still a chance, even though its small, so we've gotta try.

My boyfriend is great with the buns, but he won't do meds or fluids etc, so unfortunately that all falls to me in these situations which is tough too [emoji21]

Oh graciee, I'm so sorry [emoji17] I've been thinking of you and Atticus all day and hoping for an improvement from last night.

I'm really hoping he can get through this xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thanks, me too, he's such a funny bun when he's himself xx

I'm glad he is still with us. Look after yourself xx
Me too, it's just hard seeing him like this, but the alternative isn't great either, altho he's okay it's not like we are keeping him going where it's unfair, I just hate seeing him not perfect or himself :(

Trying, but that's not easy either [emoji38] xx

Thanks, I really do appreciate everyones support :)

Fluids are via a catheter in his ear, altho when the catheter failed last night, it was a few hours wait to get the new one so I did sq fluids instead to keep him on track.. Maybe I should give some oral fluids instead then? Worth a try, I don't think I can get him to take the whole 15ml by mouth every hour... But maybe I could do 10ml by ear and 5ml by mouth or something every hour.

Oral takes longer to be absorbed. So you may want to give full amt via ear and add oral for first hour or so. He gets some oral fluids with syringe feeds too. So it slowly.
HTML:

Last edited:
I have also been thinking of Atticus and hoping he is improving. Still sending lots of vibes for your special boy xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

He's eating ******* hay.... Has been for an hour, and he's drank a little from his water bowl [emoji7] trying not to get too excited because we seem to get a good result and then he's like dying the next minute.... But I just hope this means something is shifting..

Oh that does sound promising! I know what you mean and I don't want to say anything to jinx it but I'm really praying this is not an outlier and that he's feeling a tiny bit better.

Oh that does sound promising! I know what you mean and I don't want to say anything to jinx it but I'm really praying this is not an outlier and that he's feeling a tiny bit better.

Okay so now he's teething chattering like crazy... Its constant... And he's grooming us both to death... And he took a treat... Could the strong dose of Metacam make him high? Because that's the only way I can explain it... Its not like when Apricot tooth grinded when she was in pain... This is like a low chattering.... He's so springy too.... [emoji21]

Okay so now I'm worried... Either I'm reading this completely wrong.. Or I think he can't feel a thing pain wise.. Which is good, but he's eating.. Which is great.. But is it? I mean if he's eating loads of hay because he can't feel a damn thing.. And then he fills up because partially blocked inside... That's not good... He's produced one large poop since being home from 7pm..

Anyone heard of a reaction like this? Obviously 2ml twice a day is a lot for a 3kg bun.. But my Vet said it would be okay for a few days.. But Atticus seems to be very sensitive to strong painkillers [emoji21]

He was grooming my boyfriend whilst I was giving him the fluids... That's not normal...

I've just had a look online and one of the possible side effects of metam is behavioral change: increase or decrease in activity level. That might explain his behaviour tonight. This link talks about the effect on dogs, not sure if it's the same for rabbits:

https://m.petmd.com/pet-medication/meloxicam-metacam

I'm just wondering if the poo has moved further down his gut, and might therefore be coming out soon? Which in turn could make him feel comfortable enough to eat?

I've just had a look online and one of the possible side effects of metam is behavioral change: increase or decrease in activity level. That might explain his behaviour tonight. This link talks about the effect on dogs, not sure if it's the same for rabbits:

https://m.petmd.com/pet-medication/meloxicam-metacam

I'm just wondering if the poo has moved further down his gut, and might therefore be coming out soon? Which in turn could make him feel comfortable enough to eat?

Maybe, altho that'd be rapid changes from last xray around 6. Who knows though, rabbits perplex me

He's like so weird... Bouncy.. But slightly unhinged... Honestly it's a bit disconcerting [emoji21] hopefully it'll pass, last night he was staring at the ceiling after the tramadol [emoji849] he does seem to have a real issue with pain killers... Think I'll call my Vet in the morning and ask if we should reduce it to 1.5ml or something and see how he goes :( right I'm off to sleep for 45 mins before next fluids [emoji21]

Still teeth chattering, just demolished a bag of basil, curly parsley, and some coriander after his fluids, also a piece of apple because I ate an apple.

Because he now has a lopped ear because of the catheter... He has managed to dunk it into the water bowl and the cotton wool has soaked up loads of water.. So now his ear is all wet, I squeezed out what I could and trimmed some off but I think it'll have to be changed, altho then he'll just do it again... Anyone know if it's dangerous having it how it is? Unless they can pack it with less absorbent stuff, it's just going to happen unfortunately :(

Oh and no poops :( so he's eating but nothings coming out now..

Hello Gracie. If he is more active because his pain is well-or too well?-controlled , the exercise can also help his gut move.
I was impressed he ate hay. It is almost like he knows he needs the hay and greens to get his system back to normal.
In my own experience, I have had bunnies be more cuddly when being treated for a serious illness. I jokingly say it is because I am their drug dealer, when I really think they enjoy us providing comfort and care.
You and Aticus have a special place in my heart. Sending more vibes for you both.

Back