• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pastarella and stasis :(

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
Harlequin and Beauty were at the vets 7 days ago and were told have pastarella which they are being treated for with baytril. Today Beauty has gone into stasis so we’re on the bus to the vets.

She’s gobbled down breakfast as usual but nothing else since. She’s been grumpy and not as active as usual. I am suspecting gas as I did hear certain noises as I lifted her into the carrier.

It feels like we’re spendig at least one day a week at the vets at the moment :(

Harlequin and Beauty were at the vets 7 days ago and were told have pastarella which they are being treated for with baytril. Today Beauty has gone into stasis so we’re on the bus to the vets.

She’s gobbled down breakfast as usual but nothing else since. She’s been grumpy and not as active as usual. I am suspecting gas as I did hear certain noises as I lifted her into the carrier.

It feels like we’re spendig at least one day a week at the vets at the moment :(
Oh I'm sorry :( sending hugs and vibes xx

I am so sorry to hear this :(

I really hope you can get her right again. It can be so stressful I know x

Oh dear :cry: Is she on Baytril by any chance ? Very occasionally this can cause anorexia, usually on days 4-5 of treatment. I Hope that Beauty feels better soon xx

Thank you every one.

We caught it early. Glucose test results were ok at 8.3 temperature was ok and was given the painkiller buprecare and gut stimulant ranitidine. Told to stop the baytri as this may not be helping the bacteria in the gut but if pastarella gets any worse to put her back on it again. Was also given oxbow critical care. Seemed much more through then my usual vet asked lots of questions to.

Oh dear :cry: Is she on Baytril by any chance ? Very occasionally this can cause anorexia, usually on days 4-5 of treatment. I Hope that Beauty feels better soon xx

Yes she’s on the baytril. I had no idea it could cause this. Day 7 today.

Will be looking into another vet that is on the RWAF list only drawback is it’s an hour and half by public transport.

Yes she’s on the baytril. I had no idea it could cause this. Day 7 today.

Will be looking into another vet that is on the RWAF list only drawback is it’s an hour and half by public transport.

Did the Vet warn you that Buprecare can make some Bunnies extremely drowsy. So dont panic if Beauty becomes very 'flat' and somewhat unresponsive. You will also need to be very careful with syringe feeds as a drowsy Bunny is at more risk of aspirating feeds. Buprecare can also lower the blood pressure and Bunny may not be able to keep themselves warm. So you'll need to keep a check on her to make sure she does not start to feel cold x

Did the Vet warn you that Buprecare can make some Bunnies extremely drowsy. So dont panic if Beauty becomes very 'flat' and somewhat unresponsive. You will also need to be very careful with syringe feeds as a drowsy Bunny is at more risk of aspirating feeds. Buprecare can also lower the blood pressure and Bunny may not be able to keep themselves warm. So you'll need to keep a check on her to make sure she does not start to feel cold x

Thank you for the infomation Jane. No the vet didn’t warn me. She does seem rather dopy at the moment. Keeping her in the pen for now to monitor her. I will be very careful with the syringe feeds I’m always worried about either of them when I do it so only do really tiny amounts at a time. Heater will be left on over night and I will check her periodically as well as sleep in the living room with her ( if I can call an hour at a time sleep) Where is the best place to check for if a rabbit is getting cold?

Really must invest in a snuggle safe but Beauty chews almost every thing she can reach so am very worried about her with one. Does any one have any expriance with a bun that ches and snuggle safes?

Thank you for the infomation Jane. No the vet didn’t warn me. She does seem rather dopy at the moment. Keeping her in the pen for now to monitor her. I will be very careful with the syringe feeds I’m always worried about either of them when I do it so only do really tiny amounts at a time. Heater will be left on over night and I will check her periodically as well as sleep in the living room with her ( if I can call an hour at a time sleep) Where is the best place to check for if a rabbit is getting cold?

Really must invest in a snuggle safe but Beauty chews almost every thing she can reach so am very worried about her with one. Does any one have any expriance with a bun that ches and snuggle safes?

If her ears start to feel extremely cold that is one indication that her body temperature is extremely low.

I have used snuggle safes in the past with a pair that were extreme chewers, they shredded a cat litter tray and turned it into a corner litter tray, but they left the snuggle safe alone :thumb: topping up the vibes for Beauty xx

I have used snuggle safes in the past with a pair that were extreme chewers, they shredded a cat litter tray and turned it into a corner litter tray, but they left the snuggle safe alone :thumb: topping up the vibes for Beauty xx

Oh wow that is extream. The only thing Beauty doesn’t chew is her fleece blanket although Harlequin uses it as a litter tray.

I will get one and see how we go with it.

:( sending vibes, come on little one xx

both of mine are chewers but thankfully left the snuggle safe alone also. I tend to wrap it in a hot water bottle cover (cheap to replace if it gets peed on or chewed), you could always get some fleece and wrap it up in that too if they don't seem to chew it. I've had a few accidents on my snuggle safe such as bunny urinating over it, so I just find it better to take off the cover it comes with and buy cheap, awful quality hot water bottle covers from the likes of pound stretcher :lol: nothing fancy or anything expensive but just means I can throw it out if it gets peed on. you could also wash them but often washing is slow here so it can take a few days to get washed!

could also wrap it in cheap towels or something too xx

We have nibbling but no poop yet :(

That’s a great idea. I’ll have a look around for things to wrap one in.

I sapose I’m wondering if they are chewed are they safe? I know not ideal I’m just worried as with every thing new I introduce to them.

We have nibbling but no poop yet :(

That’s a great idea. I’ll have a look around for things to wrap one in.

I sapose I’m wondering if they are chewed are they safe? I know not ideal I’m just worried as with every thing new I introduce to them.

towels generally no, as they unravel if chewed.
fleece is iffy, I always recommend polar fleece as its also called "anti-pill fleece", I know that is 100% a fleece that doesn't unravel if chewed. it also doesn't pill making it harder to chew from chewing a pill, and if they do get their teeth into into it it doesn't just fall apart. I'm not sure about general fleece?
a few of the cheap hot water bottle covers are fleece so they don't unravel as easily (if all fleece is harder to chew that is).
the actual snuggle safe cover also looks to be fleece.

I think your buns are indoor right?

I suppose I am thinking that if they are indoor, the only time you'll really be offering a snuggle safe is if they are unwell - like in stasis. most of the time in stasis they're very lethargic and don't really do a whole lot. I know all of mine have been overly chilled and accepting of everything as they're uncomfortable and "can't be bothered" :lol: I'd be extremely surprised if in the middle of stasis they decided to chew the cover of it tbh.

I think it would be worth a shot because if they get cold, its a serious problem. I suppose snuggle safes really are apart of the "at home first aid kit" imho. when a bun is in stasis its so important to keep them warm to not cause further issues. other ways of getting them warm wouldn't be safe, such as hot water bottle or "hot hands". they could burst these. some people fill up a soda bottle with warm water but it could also be burst or be dangerous. a snuggle safe is the safest option, plus as I said you'll only be offering it when they're in stasis, so I'd be surprised if they chewed it while sick! xx

even when they're bonded I'd imagine if one goes into stasis you'd want to separate to monitor output (or I do), so if you do that would eliminate the other money chewing the snuggle safe.

We have itty bitty poops yay as well as a lot of cecoes in the litter tray. There is definantly spirit in Beauty as she fought the last hand feed and if looks could kill welllll.

I can see what your saying with the fleece covering and thinking about it I don’t think she would either. I’m just being over cautious I think about it like I have been with most things. I was also thinking more about if she was to chew the actual snuggle safe it’s self. It’s also like if I sleep and need to leave them with it.

As you can probably tell I’m a massive worrier.

Thank you every one.

We caught it early. Glucose test results were ok at 8.3 temperature was ok and was given the painkiller buprecare and gut stimulant ranitidine. Told to stop the baytri as this may not be helping the bacteria in the gut but if pastarella gets any worse to put her back on it again. Was also given oxbow critical care. Seemed much more through then my usual vet asked lots of questions to.
dear lisa1981,--critical care,has probotics included--this is required anytime [antibiotics]-given,--gi tract mobility-is-regalyn[rx]--use the internet and study[ranitidine]-should use infant-simethicone,and-should use metacam-for pain,-sincerely james waller,--from the other kent wa.st.usa-

Back