• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Plumpkin - Farewell

I am so sorry that the CT scan confirmed the worst :( Your poor beautiful and very brave Plumpkin has touched so many hearts here and I'm sure that many of us will never forget her. Zoobec is right, she looks very content in your pic and of course is unaware of the sad news :(

Sending loads more hugs to you both. I will be thinking of you.

Thank you so much everyone. I am touched by your caring words.

We're trying to decide when to help her go. We are partly tempted to give her the weekend so she can go back 'home' outside for a few days and enjoy the great dental work Sonya gave her.

I have never had a pet PTS before and am wondering the 'funeral' side of things. Is cremation an option? Do we lat her to rest in our garden? Would appreciate some advice on that front as I have no idea.

I'm so sorry to read that poor Plumpkin is in such a bad way.Utterly heartbreaking,such a brave soul .My thoughts are with you in this difficult time x

We're trying to decide when to help her go. We are partly tempted to give her the weekend so she can go back 'home' outside for a few days and enjoy the great dental work Sonya gave her.

I have never had a pet PTS before and am wondering the 'funeral' side of things. Is cremation an option? Do we lat her to rest in our garden? Would appreciate some advice on that front as I have no idea.

Did Sonya give any guidance about how long you may have while Plumpkin is comfortable? a few days in the sunshine with her pals sounds wonderful if its an option. She does look bright. Its fine to bury your pets at home. I always go for cremation. I think I'm unusual in that I don;t have a seperate cremation nor have the ashes returned. I think its a very personal choice

I’m so sorry the news has been so bad. She looks really happy in your photo so I would definitely give her a bit longer to have a few runs in the garden and be spoilt a bit more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beapig - I wish I had a fraction of the courage you have. I admire your strength and courage.
In so far as how to deal with the funeral side - my own view is this: - I am with Joey & Boo in that, especially with this nicer weather, Plumpkin should enjoy as much of it as she is able to. It will be such a tonic for her inner spirit and give her the special memories she deserves (apologies, tears running down my eyes).
My own view is that I prefer to bury my pets, because I feel in some way that they become a part of the garden where they enjoyed their time. The pets tell me where they wish to sleep forever because it is where they are most often found - a favorite bush or sun spot. My bridge buns Georgina and Ben are buried near the end of our garden in a shady spot Georgina loved to sit in. Sadly because we lost Ben 3 weeks later, we felt it fitting to lay him at her side. I say good morning and good evening every day as I pass them. So for me, it feels as though I can still feel them there. It is their home and at some point this year when I get time, I plan on getting some special plant or bush which I feel symbolises Ben & Georgina.
I think Plumpkin has made such an impact on many of us, and we carry round her spirit in our hearts. She is such a remarkable bun and you are an amazing person and bunny saviour. Thinking of you and nose rubs to the gorgeous Plumpkin. I hope she has the most special days ahead and she truly found love with you. xx

I too have followed your journey with beautiful beautiful brave Plumpkin and the amazing love and care you have given her. Your love for her shows in every post and she knows how much you care. I am so sorry to hear the CT scan was bad news, how devastating for you all. Like someone else said I hope the last dental will give you longer than you think with her. Hugs xx

I'm very sorry you are reaching the end of the road with Plumpkin.

Most my recent bunnies passed via euthanasia. I've personally always opted for taking them alone to the practice, then bringing them home for the rabbits to say their goodbyes. Timing, I've always based on their behaviour. If they still appear happy in themselves, then I'm okay with that. We have the burden of knowing they are ill...

Usually, I bury in the garden and then plant a berry bush where we can eat the fruit and the rabbits the leaves. The only time I've opted for cremation was individually, for Elphie. It felt 'right' for her.

Sending lots of love (and nosebumps from the buns.) xxx

It will be a heartfelt few days for all of you.

Regards burial or cremation - yes cremation is definitely an option, and if you want to there are companies that do individual cremations and give you the ashes back in a casket.

You can also bury in the garden and some people like to plant a special flower or rose over the grave.

With pts I am always with my animal, holding them, and never let them be taken away from me throughout the whole procedure. I prefer it that way.

Loads of hugs xx

Thank you so much for the advice everyone.

I think I will probably go with burial because I really like the idea of laying her to rest in the place she finally found some happiness. Her first real home. I love the idea of planting a bush in her honour.

She seems quite okay right now - it's hard to believe that this is goodbye. I really wasn't expecting this to be the outcome :cry:

I think I will probably go with burial because I really like the idea of laying her to rest in the place she finally found some happiness. Her first real home. I love the idea of planting a bush in her honour.

She seems quite okay right now - it's hard to believe that this is goodbye. I really wasn't expecting this to be the outcome :cry:

I know what you mean. I never expect the outcome either and it's always hard when the final time comes.

Bless her and you for taking her on. You have some lovely memories of her. She has been amazing and you have too. Xx

More ((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))).

One thing you may want to consider is to save some of Plumpkin's fur. I have a keepsake necklace pendant and a glass bead bracelet with Inspector Morse's fur in it. I also keep some by his Casket on his Memorial Chair in my bedroom

Also, I'd ask the Vet if he/she would take some 'Plumpkin Paw Prints' for you to keep. My Vet always offers this to Pet Care Givers who are having to say a final Farewell too their Pet. It is a personal thing though and neither of my suggestions may feel 'right' for you xx

Thank you for your kind word and suggestions everyone.

We've decided to give her the weekend to enjoy some final days in 'Plumpkin's Palace' with the gang.

I really appreciate all of the support I've had from RU. I'm really glad that I found this forum. I've learnt so much from everyone here and appreciate the friendship more than I can say.

Thank you for your kind word and suggestions everyone.

We've decided to give her the weekend to enjoy some final days in 'Plumpkin's Palace' with the gang.

I really appreciate all of the support I've had from RU. I'm really glad that I found this forum. I've learnt so much from everyone here and appreciate the friendship more than I can say.

:love: Thinking of you and sending more hugs xx

Back