• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!! Melanoma and chronic dental abscess.

I’m glad the op went well, I really hope she will continue to make a good recovery. I hope that the biopsy will give good news.

Bless her, what a brave Bunny. I am sorry to hear that a lymph node may turn out to show spread of the disease. As Omi said, there is a chance that all will prove to be OK in that respect.

Sending lots of healing vibes xx

Hi all, Kiki's surgery went really well and she is fine! Our vet removed her ear, she removed a little more than planned as she found a second tiny black nodule that she suspected was a melanoma also! She diseceted down to the lymph node and removed that as well! Unfortunately she found this was black which we imagine will prove to be melanoma, but we're sending it off to histology to confirm! I've posted some photos of her post surgery yesterday, her ear looks better today, less inflamed and red already! I've also posted a couple of her CT images of her teeth, you can see how bad they are, she also had a dental whilst she was out! Interestingly the CT showed that she had another abscess on the opposite side that we weren't aware of, it was smaller and the betamox injections must have kept it from causing bother! She has also lost her two back lower molars at some point, loose because of the abscess, but we never noticed this so who knows where they went!

https://flickr.com/photos/23347798@N07/sets/72157700674475194

Thank you so much for all the kind thoughts for Kiki, it's very much appreciated!

What a lot to go through, but you are both very brave!

I hope she recovers well and that the histology results aren't as bad as you fear they may be x

Hi all, apologies for not updating sooner, we've been going through so much here with Kiki! Sorry this is not a happy post, how I wish it was!

Sadly Kiki's histology confirmed that she has an extremely malignant, fast growing melanoma! They did think our vet managed to remove all of that tumour but unfortunately three weeks after her surgery we noticed three lentil sized tumours under her skin at her ear! In the past two weeks they have grown significantly and several more have popped up elsewhere on her body! We were warned that melanoma can do this when you remove the primary lesion, but we thought it was her best chance and now I'm blaming myself for putting her through a painful surgery that seems to have made things worse!

I'm losing her before my eyes and I can't do anything to make it better and it's breaking my heart! I cry all the time when I think about it, it's hard not to, I just love her so much! She was my first bun, the one who started it all, who has been there for me through the worst times, I can't bear the thought that she will be gone soon!

We are going for a checkup on Monday, she's had weekly checks since her surgery! Her weight has been stable up until now and we're hoping it stays that way, although her appetite is down slightly in the past couple of days! We will be guided by Kiki about when the time has come, I'm sure she will let us know! I just hope in the end I'm strong enough to be able to let her go! x

Hi all, apologies for not updating sooner, we've been going through so much here with Kiki! Sorry this is not a happy post, how I wish it was!

Sadly Kiki's histology confirmed that she has an extremely malignant, fast growing melanoma! They did think our vet managed to remove all of that tumour but unfortunately three weeks after her surgery we noticed three lentil sized tumours under her skin at her ear! In the past two weeks they have grown significantly and several more have popped up elsewhere on her body! We were warned that melanoma can do this when you remove the primary lesion, but we thought it was her best chance and now I'm blaming myself for putting her through a painful surgery that seems to have made things worse!

I'm losing her before my eyes and I can't do anything to make it better and it's breaking my heart! I cry all the time when I think about it, it's hard not to, I just love her so much! She was my first bun, the one who started it all, who has been there for me through the worst times, I can't bear the thought that she will be gone soon!

We are going for a checkup on Monday, she's had weekly checks since her surgery! Her weight has been stable up until now and we're hoping it stays that way, although her appetite is down slightly in the past couple of days! We will be guided by Kiki about when the time has come, I'm sure she will let us know! I just hope in the end I'm strong enough to be able to let her go! x

I'm really sorry to hear this. :(

You know, you would have blamed yourself if you hadn't tried, so you're in a no-win situation.
You have to forgive yourself, as you did your very best for her.

You will be strong enough for all of this. She needs you to be brave and it will be clear when enough is enough.

And until then, little Kiki doesn't know the diagnosis as you do, and will continue to live with your love and care day by day, with a good quality of life.

Thinking of you both xx

I am so sorry to read this. Brave Kiki's life will, as it's always been, be filled with all your love and support.
Hugs to you and vibes for Kiki. x

I'm really sorry to hear this. :(

You know, you would have blamed yourself if you hadn't tried, so you're in a no-win situation.
You have to forgive yourself, as you did your very best for her.

You will be strong enough for all of this. She needs you to be brave and it will be clear when enough is enough.

And until then, little Kiki doesn't know the diagnosis as you do, and will continue to live with your love and care day by day, with a good quality of life.

Thinking of you both xx

Thank you! Thank you for your support, it was so helpful!

You're right, thankfully Kiki doesn't know her diagnosis, it's a blessing really! She's still the same sweet, affectionate girl and her husbun dotes on her, looking after her! I do worry how he will manage, but we'll be with him and support each other through the difficult times!

I will update tomorrow after our checkup! xx

Back