• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Plumpkin Thread - Spay Tuesday 12th

Oh poor Plumpkin, sounds like you had a really rubbish day. Keep your chin up, give her a little fuss and pat yourself on the back - your doing a great job x

Thinking of you and plumpkin and tons and tons of vibes went for her up tomorrow. You are an amazing person and I'm really routing for plumpkin to sail through her ok and start enjoying being loved and cared for.

I’m so sorry to read this - poor Plumpkin. I really hope your usual rabbit savvy vet can get her through the operation with her teeth in better condition so she can start eating properly. She’s had an awful life but she’s lucky now that you found her and are giving her a chance.

I’m disgusted with the woman who had her and has the other poor bunnies - ignorance is bad enough but not bothering to do the right thing when someone’s taken the trouble to educate you (and you have a BMW on your drive so lack of money might not be a consideration) is unforgivable.

Whereabouts are you? If I live anywhere near you I’d be prepared to go and look in her garden and report her to the RSPCA for having a loose rabbit without proper shelter. I could say I’ve seen it over the fence. I’ll happily do it and give them my name if you want me to? It’s easier for me, she doesn’t know me.

Sorry to be getting back to you guys late on this! We took her back to the vet first thing today, and as I suspected, things are much worse than originally made out. The vet we saw last week was not our regular vet - he was younger and didn't seem so clued up on rabbits. I didn't feel too reassured by his assessment of her being 'not in bad health overall'.

Our regular vet today (who is super experienced and amazing) stressed that she is extremely underweight, and when he looked into her mouth he told me that it's terrible terrible. Because she's been fed a rubbish diet and not enough in general, the lack of calcium has actually caused her jaw to permanently disfigure and now her teeth, which are overgrown as it is, are growing wonky and causing her a lot of pain.

So rather than going for her dental on the 25th as the vet last week dictated, she is in first thing tomorrow for an emergency operation. In the meantime she's had pain meds to keep her a little more comfortable.

I'm feeling really angry and upset you guys. How could someone do this to her? She looks like an elderly rabbit but she's just a year old. It makes me so sad/angry at the same time. Her op tomorrow will be £100 and due to the permanent disfigurement, the vet says she'll need her teeth filed regularly throughout her life to stop the same thing from happening again.

To make matters worse, I got home in an emotional fluster (I was almost in tears leaving the vet) and dropped my phone, smashing the screen to smithereens. It's a reasonably new, expensive phone and I rely on it to operate my business. So to say the least, I'm feeling pretty down tonight! Please send good vibes to my girlie <3

Poor Plumpkin :cry: Yet another sad tale of how neglect can cause such suffering :cry: I really hope that she can pull through and have the chance of a happy life, despite the fact that she is likely to have ongoing life long problems.

I would ask the Vet for a print out of all of Plumpkin's clinical notes. If you do make a Report to the RSPCA the notes can be submitted as evidence x

More vibes from me for a successful op today. Im sorry you have all this worry with poor Plumpkin. Let us know how she gets on today. Xx

Thank you so much everyone. I'm feeling overwhelmed by the support and love you've shown Plumpkin and myself <3 She was dropped off at 9.00am this morning and we should be collecting her some time after 3.00pm. I'm really hoping that the surgery goes well and that she's feeling a lot better once her teeth are sorted. I'm dreaming of the day that she's in great health and living with Ham and Bea in their lovely big setup.

Craig, OrangeDiva, Jane (and anyone else who has mentioned the RSPCA situation) - I definitely think the right thing for me to do is contact them at this point. I texted the previous owner last night, asking if she'd seen my last message (which she had not replied to days before) and telling her the extent of Plumpkin's disfigurement as a result of her neglect.

The response I got was something like 'I'll take better care in the future' - it was halfhearted and unapologetic.

The problem is that I actually live quite close to this person (not that they know this), so I'm admittedly selfishly worried about a potential backlash towards me if I get the RSPCA involved. It's hard for me to know if she has taken my advice on board - for all I know the buck is still living unsheltered in the garden and the babies are still locked up in a tiny hutch.

I asked my vet if he thinks I should get them involved and he said I could try, but that in his experience they probably won't do very much for them :(

What do you guys think?

I think that a conversation with the RSPCA would be good. They will then tell you whether they will act or not. The babies being shut in a tiny cage would probably not trigger a visit as many people keep rabbits in small cages and as we know, there is no legal minimum size as yet. The male running round the garden may do, but why don’t you just ring them for a discussion? If they say they won’t do anything, at least you know. In that case, perhaps text the woman again and suggest she rehome the bunnies through a rescue. After that, there’s probably not a lot you can do, unless you offer them all homes but that’s a big commitment. You’ve taken on one of her rabbits, and now you’re giving her the care she needs. Xx

I had to contact rspca a few years ago after witnessing awful rabbit cruelty with my direct neighbour - they were picking bunnies up by ears and carrying round garden and chucking them in inadequate cages. Reduced me to tears and I made the call to the rspca on the spot and they paid a visit the next day. I can't pretend that I wasn't then isolated by the neighbour (she was also abusing her kids and I got social services into that) but I had to make that call because the rabbits can't and I just couldn't sit back knowing there was abuse of rabbits. As hard as it is you just have to do the right thing and know that you are saving more animals from harm.
Sending more vibes for plumpkin and here if you need me x

Thank you so much everyone. I'm feeling overwhelmed by the support and love you've shown Plumpkin and myself <3 She was dropped off at 9.00am this morning and we should be collecting her some time after 3.00pm. I'm really hoping that the surgery goes well and that she's feeling a lot better once her teeth are sorted. I'm dreaming of the day that she's in great health and living with Ham and Bea in their lovely big setup.

Craig, OrangeDiva, Jane (and anyone else who has mentioned the RSPCA situation) - I definitely think the right thing for me to do is contact them at this point. I texted the previous owner last night, asking if she'd seen my last message (which she had not replied to days before) and telling her the extent of Plumpkin's disfigurement as a result of her neglect.

The response I got was something like 'I'll take better care in the future' - it was halfhearted and unapologetic.

The problem is that I actually live quite close to this person (not that they know this), so I'm admittedly selfishly worried about a potential backlash towards me if I get the RSPCA involved. It's hard for me to know if she has taken my advice on board - for all I know the buck is still living unsheltered in the garden and the babies are still locked up in a tiny hutch.

I asked my vet if he thinks I should get them involved and he said I could try, but that in his experience they probably won't do very much for them :(

What do you guys think?

Sadly going on my past experiences I have to agree with your Vet. I dont know if you feel able to try to engage with the previous owner on an ongoing basis and perhaps try offering some 'friendly' advice about things that she definitely needs to improve on regarding her Rabbits care. I know that you have already done this but maybe you could get some literature together for her and drop it off. The RWAF have lots of information Leaflets that you could print out

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

If money is a big problem for the person then you could suggest that she may be able to access Veterinary care for the Rabbits she still has via the PDSA

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/eligibility

The RSPCA may offer help with the cost of neutering via their Voucher Scheme. Your local RSPCA Branch would be the best place to contact for details of what might be available

https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/yourlocal

I really hope that all will go well for Plumpkin today xx

I had to contact rspca a few years ago after witnessing awful rabbit cruelty with my direct neighbour - they were picking bunnies up by ears and carrying round garden and chucking them in inadequate cages. Reduced me to tears and I made the call to the rspca on the spot and they paid a visit the next day. I can't pretend that I wasn't then isolated by the neighbour (she was also abusing her kids and I got social services into that) but I had to make that call because the rabbits can't and I just couldn't sit back knowing there was abuse of rabbits. As hard as it is you just have to do the right thing and know that you are saving more animals from harm.
Sending more vibes for plumpkin and here if you need me x

I'm glad to hear you had a positive result from the R.S.P.C.A. Craig. It's not always the case though by any means, and it seems their funds and resources are quite limited.

Back