Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My wee Max choked on a Pellet last night!!

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I now have a happy trio of buns. They don't have the full room yet, they have about half of it, increasing the space gradually.

I just scatter feed the pellets, but Max seems to get super excited and tries to eat quickly. Well last night he started choking, then bubbles were coming out of his nose. I freaked out and shouted on my OH and picked him up and started doing my best attempt at the bunny Heimlich Manouvre. He was freaking out and his breathing was really bad. I got my finger in his mouth but couldn't feel anything there.

Eventually he seemed to calm down a wee bit, but he was sounding like something was still lodged in his throat. His mouth and nose were soaking with saliva. I grabbed the trio and got them into the carrier and me and the OH rushed to the Emergency Vet. He was a wee bit more settled, but still laboured breathing. She checked him out but couldn't see anything in his mouth or nose. I wiped his nose and it was brown as if it was part of a dissolved pellet. He got some Metacam & Baytril and I took him home...170 lighter!

He seemed OK this morning, but man they scare ye!
    Seeing a Bunny choke is terrifying isn't it You did exactly the right thing by getting Max to the Vet and it's good that he has been put on a covering abx to try to ward off any infection/aspiration pneumonia.

Was the pellet Science Selective by any chance ?

This was my Hal after he choked on an SS pellet, thankfully he made a complete recovery

Having had 3 Rabbits do the same thing I will never feed SS pellets again. This thread shows that many other folk have had similar problems

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ighlight=choke
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

I have used SS for ages with my bunnies. Max usually gets asda own make pellets. I had been doing a mix of both, so could have been either, but looking like SS is a culprit of this in the past!

Is it because they are too big? Am I better with a smaller pellet?

Max had discharge like your Hal, but not just as much. He was more wet than that.

Yip, the vets said that the baytril injection would be for that exact thing, but I never got any away with me. Is this something that I need?

My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

Wise Old Thumper

I have used SS for ages with my bunnies. Max usually gets asda own make pellets. I had been doing a mix of both, so could have been either, but looking like SS is a culprit of this in the past!

Max had discharge like your Hal, but not just as much. He was more wet than that.

Yip, the vets said that the baytril injection would be for that exact thing, but I never got any away with me. Is this something that I need?
    I'd run that one by the Vet, he/she may want to have another listen to Max's lungs today.

I dont know why SS seem to be the main culprits re choking. I tried to get into a polite dialogue with the Manufacturers but frankly they were not interested. That was another reason I have boycotted the product ever since !! All but one of my Rabbits are on a pellet free diet and the only one that isn't (she's very elderly and struggles to maintain her weight) is on Fibafirst.
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Wise Old Thumper

duplicate post !

Banned

To be fair, a piggy rabbit will choke on anything .. One of mine choked (horrific) on Oxbow basics and they are minuscule

I didn't want to scare you by mentioning what might be the outcome, which was why I discreetly said 'keep an eye', so I am glad your vet has enlightened you

In our case, we had extended Baytril, and a check up within 5 days.

Good luck xx

Got the wee man a vets appointment tonight at 6.10pm to check him over and get antibiotics if needed.

My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

Wise Old Thumper

Got the wee man a vets appointment tonight at 6.10pm to check him over and get antibiotics if needed.
    Hopefully all will be fine xx

Hope lovely Max will be okay and his trip to the vet goes smoothly.

re: photos, I'm another convertee to imgur now. I prefer it to what photobucket was like even prior to the new paywall.

I'm also glad you have a happy trio, they are just magical.

Banned

Good luck for that

How frightening, both for you and your bunny. Hope he goes on ok now. I've never had this happen with a bun, but my cat George (a real piggy) once choked on a small cat nugget (think they call them kibbles ?) I just grabbed him, laid him over my knee, head down, and tapped him between the shoulders. Thank goodness it worked, I was a real mess afterwards.
    Pity SS can't modify the size of their nuggets isn't it ?
    Hope vet visit went well.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES