• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toilet area

Lady Elf

New Kit
Hi everyone. My 2 mini lops have recently started kicking everything out of their toilet area in the hutch. I've always put down sawdust on the bottom to soak up the urine and then a mixture of straw and hay on top.

I haven't changed anything, as soon as I clean this area out which is normally every other day, I can guarantee the next morning that area is empty.

Can anyone advise what's going on please as it's starting to frustrate me not knowing why they have started doing it

Many thanks in advance 😚

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. My 2 mini lops have recently started kicking everything out of their toilet area in the hutch. I've always put down sawdust on the bottom to soak up the urine and then a mixture of straw and hay on top.

I haven't changed anything, as soon as I clean this area out which is normally every other day, I can guarantee the next morning that area is empty.

Can anyone advise what's going on please as it's starting to frustrate me not knowing why they have started doing it

Many thanks in advance ��

Are your Rabbits neutered ? Digging behaviour tends to increase at this time of year, especially in un-neutered Rabbits.

Do the Rabbits have permanent access to a large run ? If they are shut in a hutch at night they probably dig due to boredom.

Are there things you could do to enrich their environment, such as providing a digging box ?

They were both neutered last month.
They have access to a run all day but I have to lock them away at night because of foxes.
What is a digging box? I haven't heard of these before.

Many thanks in advance 😚

Hi there Lady Elf :wave:

Yes, I can understand this is frustrating!

This time of year, 'Spring Fever' kicks in, and bunnies start behaving like wildies .. digging and such like :shock:

I personally wouldn't use wood shavings:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/shavings.html

If you change to just newspaper and hay, you *may* find they don't pull so much out. I also probably use a higher sided litter tray than you do, which prevents them from kicking all the litter out x

Back