• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tips for giving injections at home?

If a bit comes out the top I just shake it off! I don't touch the end but try not to push it as far next time to prevent this. Yes it helps knowin you aren't alone don't it. My first set of injections a few years ago the first week went well then I was in tears not being able to get it right again. Turns out I wasn't going low enough in the tent area. Hope ur next injection goes well x

Good luck for your injections!

I wouldn't take them pre drawn from a vet now, as they are so difficult to manage. I take my hat off to you if you sort a way of doing it successfully :D

Hi :wave: Another here who's had to inject Depocillin!

You've already received lots of good advice, so I'm not sure I can add anything. But lots of luck. I felt very nervous too and had a few instances of it becoming blocked. It sounds like you are doing really well x

If a bit comes out the top I just shake it off! I don't touch the end but try not to push it as far next time to prevent this. Yes it helps knowin you aren't alone don't it. My first set of injections a few years ago the first week went well then I was in tears not being able to get it right again. Turns out I wasn't going low enough in the tent area. Hope ur next injection goes well x

Ok, that's what I did last night, I just shook the wee bead off but I could still see some down in the needle. Fingers crossed for next try tomorrow! In some ways I feel more confident now and in others more sick about it eeeeeeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi :wave: Another here who's had to inject Depocillin!

You've already received lots of good advice, so I'm not sure I can add anything. But lots of luck. I felt very nervous too and had a few instances of it becoming blocked. It sounds like you are doing really well x

Thanks! I'm trying my best but it just feels so wrong :( I've had loads of advice now though so I should hopefully do a bit better at it tomorrow! Thanks your support though :)

A rabbit with an abscess usually (unfortunately) has to be on Depocillin for some time. I must've treated hundreds of rabbits and it works very well on the whole.

However, will the vet be giving pre-drawn syringes for the whole of the course? Alarm bells ring because some vets seem to think penicillin is a 'short course'. I know I'm not a vet - far from it, but I would want to know how long the course will be (then get a bottle!)

Where is the rabbit's abscess Mandmcc?

I've only got ten (well nine now) and am to go back before they run out to get more, I'll tell her I don't want pre-drawn and I think they'll be fine about it! I don't know how long the course will be but I was under the impression it will be a long haul!

The abscess is pretty small, and hard to feel from the outside but it's in this area (on his head, under the ear but quite close to the opening):
638563f6ec9fd78ecf7612451b812046.jpg

I'm a regular injector to several rabbits (they've all be on it for the last 14 months for abscesses, and will all be on it for life, but have been injecting various things since 2008), and Depocillin is by far the hardest thing I've had to inject. However, my tip is a new needle for the injection (rather than the one it's drawn up in) and I also hold my syringes under my arm to warm the liquid up to body temperature. That has made it go in easily, it has made for less rejections, less flinching and a much more comfortable experience for me and bunnies.

I'm a regular injector to several rabbits (they've all be on it for the last 14 months for abscesses, and will all be on it for life, but have been injecting various things since 2008), and Depocillin is by far the hardest thing I've had to inject. However, my tip is a new needle for the injection (rather than the one it's drawn up in) and I also hold my syringes under my arm to warm the liquid up to body temperature. That has made it go in easily, it has made for less rejections, less flinching and a much more comfortable experience for me and bunnies.

My goodness! You are definitely a pro at this, it sounds like a full time job! I don't think I could cope [emoji30]

That's a brilliant tip! I'll definitely try it out!thanks :)

My boy Oliver is on a course of depocillian at the moment for his ear too. This is my third bun I have had to give depocillian and I hate doing it also. You wee bunny is soo sweet. I found damping / wetting the fur prior to injecting helps you see where u r injecting. Also before injecting (when its no where near ur bun )pull the syringe back to release any clogging and then push the plunger gently again so the depocillian is back to the original marking in the syringe so no air in syringe tip. I also hold my finger half way up the needle as u push it I to the skin helps me feel how far the needle is in and gives better control. No matter how many u do its never a pleasant thing but defo worth it. Each time you do one u will get a bit more confident. X

Hope all's going well with you and Oliver, Nicky :wave:

Last edited:
Hi Max! We are doing OK thank u. Oliver goes for his ear check up this Tuesday. Hopefully the depocillian has helped clear up infection as the drops weren't enough. He had a runny eye on the same side as the bad ear for a few days but it seems to have dried again which is weird but slight worrying. He isn't eatting as much hay as he used to abut still his wee hay bales and veg. Maybe it's the depocillian affecting his appetite a bit. I am supplementing with some soaked porridge oats some mornings as I can mix in his probiotic. Hoping for good news on Tuesday. I will tell Oliver u were asking after him x

Hi Max! We are doing OK thank u. Oliver goes for his ear check up this Tuesday. Hopefully the depocillian has helped clear up infection as the drops weren't enough. He had a runny eye on the same side as the bad ear for a few days but it seems to have dried again which is weird but slight worrying. He isn't eatting as much hay as he used to abut still his wee hay bales and veg. Maybe it's the depocillian affecting his appetite a bit. I am supplementing with some soaked porridge oats some mornings as I can mix in his probiotic. Hoping for good news on Tuesday. I will tell Oliver u were asking after him x

Thank you :love:

I hope his vet visit goes well. He's been on the Depocillin a while, hasn't he?

Yes, by his vet visit it will be 5 weeks, with 2 per week. Bit on a positive each time he gets his fluid injections or depocillian injection he protests with 2 pee pees !! My husband always has him on his knee so we watch for the tail lift and then move his bum ovet so he pees on the floor! Bit the positive bit is that it shows no sludge and hasn't done since we stare doing twice weekly fluids. Is it wrong to laugh at his protest pee lol he has been very good for all his meds and sits so good - think it's the banana at the end that makes him put up with it all !

Yes, by his vet visit it will be 5 weeks, with 2 per week. Bit on a positive each time he gets his fluid injections or depocillian injection he protests with 2 pee pees !! My husband always has him on his knee so we watch for the tail lift and then move his bum ovet so he pees on the floor! Bit the positive bit is that it shows no sludge and hasn't done since we stare doing twice weekly fluids. Is it wrong to laugh at his protest pee lol he has been very good for all his meds and sits so good - think it's the banana at the end that makes him put up with it all !

Protest pees! But how wonderful, no sludge :)

Another banana-lover :love: I am fond of Oliver xx

Hi everyone! Just checking back in to let y'all know that thanks to all your advice I managed to get Cory's third injection done today on a single attempt with no messing about! He's doing much better and isn't unsteady on his feet anymore although his abscess still feels huge to me :( we're having a sick day on the sofa together today, feeling sorry for ourselves

a22fb67c263a60147b259a915add9523.jpg
aacb7358a18992559ddcf3e67811c545.jpg

Back