• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Only feeding Pellets?

nathanhorn

New Kit
Hi!

I don't have any Timothy hay and I've ordered some, but I was wondering if I could feed my two little rabbits pellets while we wait for the Timothy hay...

I ordered hay already but I didn't realize I bought Alphalpha hay and now I see that one of the rabbits has milky pee which might be because of too much Alphalpha hay, even though I've only given them a continuous Alphalpha supply in the last 24 hours. So that's why I took away the Alphalpha and since they are 1 and 3 months old, I'm just giving them pellets for now.. They like it but I was wondering if it's ok to have them on a pellets only diet for a day or 2? :oops:

As your rabbits are still babies it should be fine to give them the Alfalfa hay. It is better for baby rabbits as it is higher in protein and calcium.

Milky pee

As your rabbits are still babies it should be fine to give them the Alfalfa hay. It is better for baby rabbits as it is higher in protein and calcium.
But one of them has Milky pee, as in pee that looks a bit like milk... I read that that's due to too much calcium which is because I'm feeding them pellets and Alphalpha...
And as the pellets are Timothy pellets and Timothy hay is ok 24/7, I figured I get out the high-in-calcium Alphalpha and only feed them Timothy pellets until the Timothy hay arrives...

So that's what I'm wondering... Is it ok to only feed them Timothy pellets until the hay arrives?

Rabbits excrete excess calcium via their urine so milky coloured wee is normal. Baby rabbits need more calcium in their diet so I would carry on feeding the Alfalfa hay, when the other hay arrives you can mix the 2 if you wish. So therefore there is nothing to worry about. Rabbit wee can be many strange colours, orange and red, depending on what they have eaten. It's thick sludgy urine that is the one to be worried about, but a baby rabbit shouldn't have a problem like this.

Back