• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free Weeds!

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
No none on offer, and DEFINITELY not weeds minus the s!

Yesterday, I stumble-foraged as I needed to get some forage for the rabbits/guinea/tortoise. To go home, I cut through the allotments at the end of the road.

There, I met an allotment owner digging up some potatoes and got talking.

...and now I have permission to take whatever weeds I like from his allotment whenever I like! His sunflowers are also coming up soon and I can have those too.

Sometimes, you can meet some really kind people.

(But more often, I get people staring when I'm out foraging because they seem to forget they have a mouth on them and can ASK what I'm doing. Ugh.)

No none on offer, and DEFINITELY not weeds minus the s!

Yesterday, I stumble-foraged as I needed to get some forage for the rabbits/guinea/tortoise. To go home, I cut through the allotments at the end of the road.

There, I met an allotment owner digging up some potatoes and got talking.

...and now I have permission to take whatever weeds I like from his allotment whenever I like! His sunflowers are also coming up soon and I can have those too.

Sometimes, you can meet some really kind people.

(But more often, I get people staring when I'm out foraging because they seem to forget they have a mouth on them and can ASK what I'm doing. Ugh.)

Sounds good - one positive for today :D

I had someone ask me if I was foraging for mushrooms last time, and could I help her pick the non-poisonous ones :lol:

Sounds like a lovely man.
I often see people foraging for berry's around here, but I get some weird looks when picking nettles etc. I once had one lady come up to me and say it was lovely to see someone as young as me still making nettle soup... I did correct her, as I hate nettle soup and much prefer nettle wine.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The weird comments always amuse me. Someone once asked if I was foraging for wild garlic... whilst I blatantly had a white dead nettle in my hand. :lol:

I'm also getting a reputation with some people. I'm the bunny lady now.

And yesterday, before I made it to the allotment, a kid yelled at me, "do you know what you're doing?" I shouted back, "Yes, yes I do." He apologised, embarrassed, and scurried off, without actually asking what I was doing. I was pulling at bindweed. :lol:

What a smashing bloke :D Of course any weeds that you remove from his plot will mean there's less for him to dispose of :lol:

But a very good find indeed!

What an amazing find. I was cutting birch leaves/branches the other day and someone hung out of the upstairs bedroom window and asked why i was trimming the trees. I explained and he look relieved so i asked what did he imagine i was doing, he said " i thought you were cutting the trees back so it would be easier to climb the fence" i said why would i climb a fence, he said RED FACED, you know to burgle. The shock on my face made him go puce. :lol: Its amazing what people imagine.

OH says the same, but he's pretty oblivious to people ;P He's met some woman on a bike who has guinea pigs so keeps asking me about what's safe for them to XD People have suggested he might be collecting for horses, goats, himself etc.: no-one's guessed correctly yet!

He helped a cyclist who'd fallen into the canal the other day: amazing what HAPPENS too!

Back